Am I being self-centered to want to stay home with my kids?

I have been the sole breadwinner in our family for three years and my husband has stayed at home with our children. I am in sales and have been for the money only. I don’t love the job at all. I lost my job due to downsizing and my husband is working now, making some income. I want to take a job in administration, making less money, so I can do what I love and spend more time with my children. Am I being self-centered? What, if any, are the views of the Church?

Why would you think it “self-centered” to want to stay home more often with your children? Most mothers feel the need to be at home with their children as much as possible, especially when they are young. If you have the opportunity to do so now, that’s a good thing. Perhaps you are concerned about family finances on a smaller income. If so, it would be better to concentrate on how to downsize expenses to meet the income you now have than to worry about being self-centered.

**Recommended reading:

The Catholic Answers Guide to Family Finances by Philip Lenahan
Seven Steps to Becoming Financially Free by Philip Lenahan (
workbook**, apostolate)
The Complete Tightwad Gazette by Amy Dacyczyn

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.