Am I called to the ministry of Exorcism?

I still have a few years before I enter the seminary but lately I get the feeling that when I am a priest, I may be called to be an exorcist.

This began when I started having of me exorcising people, one person in particular keep reoccurring.

Should I speak to my spiritual director regarding this?

Yes You should, but I am glad to hear that You are considering the Priesthood!!

May the SACRED HEART Bless You and this desire, Brother!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

May the SACRED HEART Make You a Priest and a Saint for the Church.

Yes, speak to your director. But, aren’t you getting a little bit ahead of yourself? Let’s get into Seminary first. You might be surprised which direction the Lord takes you in after that. It is best to submit to the Lord, no matter where He leads you. You will be in my prayers before Christ in the Blessed Sacrament this afternoon.

And probably your vocations director as well. There isn’t much demand for exorcists, though (there is official direction that there should be one per diocese, if I remember right, but many dioceses supposedly don’t comply with that), so don’t be surprised if you’re turned away.

Just do clarify, do you mean you are having ‘dreams’ about this?

the process of becoming an exorcist is very secretive I believe and my best guess as to how it works is that a bishop privately approaches a priest and asks him do you want to study to be an exorcist. My guess is you become a priest first then an exorcist, discern God’s call to priesthood and celibacy before you discern exorcist if you have the opportunity.

My only advice is don’t get too excited about any particular job or function. When you’re a priest, just do what the bishop tells you. He’ll know best.

My only advice is don’t get too excited about any particular job or function. When you’re a priest, just do what the bishop tells you. He’ll know best.

+1

Info here. Short answer; if you are it will be made clear to you.

Thank you everyone for your answers, I have taken them into consideration.

Yes, I have been having dreams of me exorcising people, one person in particular.

Remember, too, that ambition has no place in a exorcist's life. You would be facing the demons who are, by nature, more powerful than you. If pride enters your discernment, then the devil will have a foothold on you. It is only by humbly submitting to the power and authority of God that an exorcist can be a channel of God's grace. I'm sure you're aware of this, but it's good to restate the obvious.

The call comes from the bishop. He is the one God uses to make this decision. Wait for the bishop to approach you. If anything, I'd just tell my spiritual director I would be open to it if the Ordinary approached me.

This is the problem when I come to the forums for help. So many times, no one can ask a question without someone being critical and scrutinizing everything. There is nothing wrong with feeling like I am called that.

The bishop doesn’t “call” someone. God does. He called me to the priesthood. And me asking if for further opinions as to whether this could be God’s way of talking to me, is not being “ambitious” or “prideful”.

I’m not saying “I want to be an exorcist so I am going to be one.” I am asking “I am called to the priesthood, could God also be calling me to be an exorcist?”

[quote="CarlosBarrera, post:12, topic:307616"]
This is the problem when I come to the forums for help. So many times, no one can ask a question without someone being critical and scrutinizing everything. There is nothing wrong with feeling like I am called that.

[/quote]

then why come to the forums you should have a spiritual director we aren't going to answer you questions on here.

The bishop doesn't "call" someone

simple question for you have you read the rite of ordination. The bishop in the rite actually has the full power to ordain a preist or not a ordain a priest. God has entrusted him to use the correct means to examine a candidate for priesthood and then with his best judgment decide if that person is worthy to be ordained. Also the people as well accept the person for the candidacy. You discern God's will with the Church, its not one persons choice its two peoples choice yourself and the Church, mainly the bishop.

God does. He called me to the priesthood. And me asking if for further opinions as to whether this could be God's way of talking to me, is not being "ambitious" or "prideful".

I'm not going to question your call and not question your certainty of it. I'll just say this you discern with the Church, also there is a good chance (not saying its going to happen) that somewhere in your discernment process you will have doubts, not saying its going to happen to you, I just want you to be careful about knowing your called to be a priest.

but again I'm just putting these things out there to make you think about it, PLEASE GO TALK TO A SPIRITUAL DIRECTOR, try to keep the same one, try and go to confession with your spiritual director. Trust that he knows what he is talking about. Bring the idea that you know your called to be a priest to him, bring this idea that you want to be an exorcist to him.

as much as I would like to sit here and answer all of your questions I can't, I don't know who you are I don't really know anything about you take all of this to your spiritual director. Personally I would suggest that you stop posting things like this on this message board, we can't answer this quesiton for you only you can discerning God's will with a spiritual director. Again I can't make this more clear GET A SPIRITUAL DIRECTOR IF YOU DON'T ALREADY HAVE ONE. Sorry to put it in caps and in bold but its that important trust me.

edit: sorry I see you have a spiritual director go talk to him about all of this stuff.

The bishop doesn't "call" someone. God does. He called me to the priesthood. And me asking if for further opinions as to whether this could be God's way of talking to me, is not being "ambitious" or "prideful".

[/quote]

This is true. But the bishop is as much a part of the discernment as you are. If the bishop were to discern that you are not meant to be a priest, then you would be removed from formation or seminary. Also, keep in mind: Exorcism is not a specific vocation; it's a ministry. The bishop will always be the one to decide your ministry, and it's your part to follow it out of obedience to him.

The bishop doesn't "call" someone. God does. He called me to the priesthood. And me asking if for further opinions as to whether this could be God's way of talking to me, is not being "ambitious" or "prideful".

I'm not saying "I want to be an exorcist so I am going to be one." I am asking "I am called to the priesthood, could God also be calling me to be an exorcist?"

[/quote]

There is a principle taught in this parable.

Luke 14:7-14
Knox Bible (KNOX)
7 He also had a parable for the guests who were invited, as he observed how they chose the chief places for themselves; he said to them: 8 When any man invites thee to a wedding, do not sit down in the chief place; he may have invited some guest whose rank is greater than thine. 9 If so, his host and thine will come and say to thee, Make room for this man; and so thou wilt find thyself taking, with a blush, the lowest place of all. 10 Rather, when thou art summoned, go straight to the lowest place and sit down there; so, when he who invited thee comes in, he will say, My friend, go higher than this; and then honour shall be thine before all that sit down in thy company. 11 Everyone who exalts himself shall be humbled, and he that humbles himself shall be exalted. 12 He said, moreover, to his host, When thou givest a dinner or a supper, do not ask thy neighbours to come, or thy brethren, or thy kindred, or thy friends who are rich; it may be they will send thee invitations in return, and so thou wilt be recompensed for thy pains. 13 Rather, when thou givest hospitality, invite poor men to come, the cripples, the lame, the blind: 14 so thou shalt win a blessing, for these cannot make thee any return; thy reward will come when the just rise again.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.