Am I Catholic?

I was baptised, had my first confession and Holy Communion in the Catholic Church. But I was never confirmed. Am I Catholic?

Yes.

I would encourage you to talk to your local parish pastor.

You’re a Catholic who hasn’t completed your sacraments of initiation. I encourage you to check with your parish about what you need to do to receive the graces of the sacrament of confirmation.

I have left phone messages and several emails where they have a RCIA classes on numerous occasions. But no one ever got back to me. I am in Church tomorrow. I will ask the Priest. Thanks :slight_smile:

Yes you are.

Be very careful about something. A quality RCIA program is something I would definitely shop around for. I was never confirmed as a child. Many years ago I sought confirmation as an adult and was told I would have to go through RCIA.

It was truly a horrible experience that lasted 18 months.

Of the 20 or so that went through RCIA with me, I am the only practicing Catholic to my knowledge. Years later they came up with a diocesan-wide program for adults seeking confirmation. Some of my friends went through it. 8-10 GOOD meetings and they were done…

The fact that your phone calls are not PROMPTLY returned might be the first indicators you need to find another parish for RCIA. Good luck and godspeed!

it seems there is a good chance of it… be good…

You became a Catholic the moment you were baptized. Confirmation is [as I understand it] publicly acknowledging your receipt of the Holy Spirit. As a sacrament I think you should talk to your priest about receiving your confirmation in the presence of witnesses.

Since you have already been Baptized a Catholic and received First Communion, you really should be looking for an adult Confirmation class rather than RCIA, which is for those converting from another faith tradition. Around here, adult Confirmation is coordinated by the diocese rather than individual parishes. You may want to check your diocesan offices or website.

I know a fellow whose daughter was in this situation. Since the pastor could ascertain that she was obviously sufficiently educated and properly disposed, she was not required to go through additional confirmation preparation. The pastor told her it was reasonable for her to ask for confirmation, she did, he made a phone call to the bishop, the bishop came over one morning for daily Mass, and the bishop confirmed her right there at that Mass. If the OP is similarly well-disposed, formal preparation may not be required for her, either.

Yes, you are a baptised Catholic. For life.
Let’s not open this up to what this would mean to your finances if this was a situation where you lived in Germany for instance.

You simply haven’t recieved all the graces you could have. You are still a Catholic for life, end stop.

This is a wonderful story, but does not address directly the question at hand.
This person is a baptised Catholic. End of story.
They are Catholic for life.

Around here? I thought the Church was universal?

Sorry, this is incorrect. Confirmation, as all the Sacraments, is something done to us, not something we do. According to the CCC, # 1316 Confirmation perfects Baptismal grace. It is the sacrament which gives the Holy Spirit in order to root us more deeply in the divine filiation, incorporate us more firmly into Christ, strengthen our bond with the Church, associate us more closely with her mission, and help us to bear witness to the Christian faith in words accompanied by deeds.

1317 Confirmation, like Baptism, imprints a spiritual mark or indelible character on the Christian’s soul.

Go and ask your priest in person. As far as I am aware Canon Law states that he cannot refuse you if you ask for it.

There is no requirement under Church law for you to attend a certain amount of classes, courses etc. (although the way some dioceses behave, you might think there was). Confirmation is not an award granted after attending so many classes and passing a test of your catechesis (nor is it a personal affirmation from yourself) it is an unconditional gift of the Holy Spirit.

Go, in person, and ask for the Sacrament of Confirmation. My understanding is that, under Canon Law, you cannot be denied Confirmation.

Thank you to all that replied.
Brendan, Thank you. That would be great if that happened without going through RCIA. There is only one RCIA course around here. I am in a rural area and do not drive.

Yes you are Catholic! I would encourage you to receive the Sacrament of Confirmation! Also: Attend Mass every Sunday,(if you can daily) and receiving our Lord in the Eucharist in a state of grace. Confession is a great Sacrament also. Free therapy and grace!! Best wishes to you on your journey of love!:slight_smile:

I’m well aware that the Holy Spirit is a gift from God and in no way did I suggest otherwise. You say that confirmation is the sacrament that “gives us the spirit” So are your saying that acacia12 or anyone who has not gone through the confirmation sacrament lacks the Holy Spirit?, because that would surely mean that they would have no means of intercession between heaven and earth!..
Rom. 8:26, “And in the same way the Spirit also helps our weakness; for we do not know how to pray as we should, but the Spirit Himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words;”…?

Speak to your priest and let us know how you get on.

I certainly will :thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.