Am I Catholic?

I was baptized by my grandmother as an infant, since my parents were not in a church at the time. My mother was aware that she was going to do this and was fine with it. My grandmother was baptized and raised Catholic, but later switched to Lutheran. I was “officially” baptized at 19 by a Luthern minister. I have read on the forums here, that the church reconizes your first baptism, and that once baptized Catholic, you are always considered a Catholic. I want to become a part of the Catholic faith, I attend Mass as much as possible (in person or listen to Mass on ewtn radio, daily, when not able to be there in person), pray the Rosary, and Chaplet of Divine Mercy every day, and have been studying the Cathecism. I will not take Holy Communion until I am sure I am able to. So my question is…am I considered Catholic because of my Baptism at birth, or do I need to enter in as convert?

Thank you in advance

Hi Texas,

You certainly are baptised, but your name does not appear in any Catholic parish records. You do need to join and RCIA progarm so that you fully understand the teachings of the Chruch. Then you will make a profession of faith, receive the sacraments of Penance, Confirmation and Eucharist. You are in my prayers.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.