Am I forgiven

I wonder if you can help me with a question about confession? I went to confession today for the first time in about 30 years, as I have decided to return to the church. I had spoken to my priest before hand yesterday, to let him know I hadn't been to confession for so long and that it would be quite long. He told me that he was delighted to have me return to Church and to come this morning during normal confession times.

I gave my confession, I was very upset and had written things down so that I wouldn't forget what I wanted to say, as I have memory problems. At the end of confession, the priest said to me to wait and he'd give me a phone number for marriage counselling. He then returned and gave me a blessing and said a prayer (I'm sorry I can't remember what prayer my memory is very bad) He then said to come outside to give me the phone number, but he never gave me a penitance. I was stunned because I thought that he would, but as we were now standing outside the confessional, and others were sitting waiting I didn't ask why he hadn't given me penitence.

So I went to the pews and prayed to Our Lords prayer and said the Hail Mary 5 times each, but I dont know if I have been forgiven? Are my sins forgiven what do you think I should do if anything. I dont want to appear rude and ask the priest as he had others waiting, and they could hear us. :shrug:

Can anyone give me some advice please? Thank you and God bless

:crossrc

Absolutly your sins are forgiven.

The priest has been given authority by Christ to do just that.
The prayer you probably heard was the prayer of absolution ....sounding something like this:

God the Father of mercies, through the death and resurrection of your son, you have reconciled the world to yourself and sent the Holy Spirit among us for the forgiveness of sins. Through the ministry of the church, may God grant you pardon and peace. And I absolve you of your sins, in the name of the Father, and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.

Just because the priest didnt say: "here is a penance" ....does not mean you are not forgiven.
You followed what is necessary: You came to the confessional, gave the priest your sin in good conscience remembering what you could, the priest said you were forgiven .....it's done!

Penance is a sign that you want to do better and change your ways and make up for your wrongs.......your heart was obviously moved to do that on it's own. Also........if he gave you that # for conciling......that could be considerd your penance if it makes you feel better.

But the giving of penance is not obligatory to be forgiven ....so rest easy.

God bless

Thank you so much for your reply I am so relieved, I felt so happy coming out of Church but was worried in case I hadn’t been forgiven. I am going to mass tonight and feel renewed in my faith.

Thank you for the reassurance I feel so much happier now. I dont want to get it wrong!

God bless

:crossrc:

If the "blessing" he gave you was Absolution (I absolve you....), then you are absolved. Why he did not choose to give you a penance is between him and God. Since you intended to make a full confession (and who can really do that, even once a week, it's almost impossible), you have done so. I think the intention is honored by God. If (and I know this isn't the case) you had deliberately withheld something (out of shame, etc.), it would not have been absolved.

i suspect the assigned penance was the marriage counselling.

[quote="Ellen_Mary, post:3, topic:318837"]
Thank you so much for your reply I am so relieved, I felt so happy coming out of Church but was worried in case I hadn't been forgiven. I am going to mass tonight and feel renewed in my faith.

Thank you for the reassurance I feel so much happier now. I dont want to get it wrong!

God bless

:crossrc:

[/quote]

Been there done that,I know exactly the joy you are feeling.Congratulations on coming home.It is the sweetest place to be!;)

[quote="ellzeena, post:4, topic:318837"]
If the "blessing" he gave you was Absolution (I absolve you....), then you are absolved. Why he did not choose to give you a penance is between him and God. Since you intended to make a full confession (and who can really do that, even once a week, it's almost impossible), you have done so. I think the intention is honored by God. If (and I know this isn't the case) you had deliberately withheld something (out of shame, etc.), it would not have been absolved.

[/quote]

Just for information, if one *deliberately *holds back a *mortal *sin, not only is the sntire Confession invalid, but an additional sin has been committed. The entire Confession must be done over, the left-out sin included, and the fact that one had previously deliberately held back a sin.

However, When one confesses with the intention of including all sins, the person's sins are *all *forgiven, even if one inadvertantly leaves one or more sins out. You may mention them in a future Confession, *but you do not have to--all are forgiven. *

I like to finish off my sins by saying, For these and all the sins of my past life, I am most heartily sorry. I often forget because I am usually so intent on remembering my sins (I guess I need to start writing them down!), but it covers everything and also lets to priest know I am finished :)

Ellen Mary: Welcome back!!!!! :D

Dear sister, Christ gives wisdom to His confessors. This feeling you have been left with, this eagerness to do penance, to repair, to amend...this, sister, is your penance. Live with a penitent heart, for Christ loves you very much.

Thank you for your words of wisdom :D I have been to mass tonight and feel renewed in my faith a great feeling :extrahappy:

In my confession I disclosed all my sins I'd written them down as my memory is affected by spina bifida and I can't recall very much. I wanted to make sure I confessed as much as I can remember, and to the best of my knowledge nothing was left out.

I feel so happy to be back in the Church, I now have to work out the status of my marriage so I can recieve communion.

Thank you for all your advice and kindness. :thumbsup:

:hug1: :wave:

:tiphat: :grouphug: :irish3:

Hi Ellen Mary welcome back :) :) :)

(((HUGS))) God bless you always xo

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.