Am I Forgiven?

It had been a year and a half since my last confession and I went today. I told the Priest I needed his help to make a good confession even though I have been examining my conscience for months and in depth today. I just don’t feel I have done a good job. Just now I realized I didn’t even mention missing Mass and Holy Days. I’m sure there are a million other things I forgot. I don’t remember him saying he absolved me of my sins, he did give me pennance. Am I forgiven? Can I recieve Communion tomorrow?

[quote=jasm]It had been a year and a half since my last confession and I went today. I told the Priest I needed his help to make a good confession even though I have been examining my conscience for months and in depth today. I just don’t feel I have done a good job. Just now I realized I didn’t even mention missing Mass and Holy Days. I’m sure there are a million other things I forgot. I don’t remember him saying he absolved me of my sins, he did give me pennance. Am I forgiven? Can I recieve Communion tomorrow?
[/quote]

Yes, you can receive Holy Communion. Forgotten sins are absolved. If you had witheld the sins deliberately, the absolution would not have availed. You should try to remember confess these forgotten sins next time and you should resolve to go regularly to confession.

Goodness gracious!!! It had been 15 years since my last confession, and I forgot to mention I hadn’t been going to Mass. I suppose it just seemed obvious. When I remembered that, or remember anything else I forgot, I just make sure it goes in the next time. Forgetting isn’t concealing. That is what I was told, from a very good and faithful priest. Seems reasonable to me, we can’t always control memory (and less and less as time goes on…)

I don’t know if when you learned how to do a confession…you used the words after you said the sins you wish to have confess…

Father, for these and for all the sins of my past life, I ask you Father, for penance and absolution…

In my estimation, that would include the sins you may have forgotten but still had committed.
Even if you did not use words of this sort…the fact, that you asked to be forgiven by coming to reconciliation from the start…I think it is understood that you wish to have all your sins forgiven.
Enjoy your reconciliation…and next time, make it sooner than 18 mos. Have a peace filled Thanksgiving.

If you truly forgot or overlooked some sins don’t sweat it. Confess them at the next available opportunity. But, if you KNOWINGLY CONCEAL a Mortal Sin you have committed another sin by doing so, so you don’t want to knowingly conceal any of those. Venial sins don’t fall into that category, Thank God for that one!!!

Just relax, be honest and everything will be al right. :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.