Am I going to hell because I am not Catholic?

I was raised Protestant but I have not been baptized. I am married and divorced from a Catholic and we baptized our children Catholic. I have chosen to not join the church for various reasons. However I do wish to join a Christian Based church and eventually get baptized.

My ex husband is a devout Catholic and teaches Religious Ed at his church. (I am not sure if he has gotten an annulment through the church or not). H did not follow the rules of the church when he was with me. My children mainly my 10 year old daughter is upset that I do not go to church and that I am not Catholic. She said that Daddy told her I, as well as non Catholics, are going to Hell when we die. This is very upsetting for her as it is for me. I wish to join a church and finally get baptized at age 42. What I the official answer on Non Catholics getting into heaven?

These links should help you understand the Church’s understanding of extra ecclesiam nulla salus. If you have any further questions or concerns that are not answered by these links, please contact Catholic Answers directly.

Recommended Reading:

[LIST]
*] Extra ecclesiam nulla salus
*] Salvation Outside of the Church
*] What is invincible ignorance?
*] How can the Church accept salvation for Protestants?
[/LIST]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.