Am I going to hell for masturbating?

Hi, there. I’m a seventeen year old girl. I’ll try to make this brief.

Um, I have been masturbating for almost a year now. :frowning: When I first started, I honestly didn’t even understand what it was. Sure I’ve heard of it plenty of times before, but I didn’t know what went where or anything like that. Before I started, I researched it. Everyone told me something along the lines of, “There’s absolutely nothing wrong with it. You’re discovering your body. It’s healthy for you.” After I started doing it though, I always felt bad. I couldn’t explain why. It just made me feel like dirt and very sinful. So, I researched whether it was a sin or not. I found out how horrible a sin it is. It’s a mortal sin… :frowning: The worst of all sins. That sudden realization made me want to literally lay down and die. People were telling me, “If you masturbate, you’re going to hell. Those telling you it’s healthy are wrong. It does drastic things to your soul.” :frowning: sighs Then, somebody else will say, “Don’t listen to them. Masturbating is part of being a human being. People have been doing it for all of mankind. Don’t feel bad for it.” THEN, someone will say, “If you’re a Catholic, your church says you’re going to hell for it.” :frowning: It’s a very confusing cycle of answers that I’m getting.

So, I don’t really know what to believe. Here is what I do know: 1. Every time before I masturbate, I have mixed feelings. My hormones are rushing, so I start to agree with those saying it’s completely normal. Then, in the back of my head I hear, “You’re going to hell…” :blush: 2. During masturbating, I feel like all the stress is leaving my body. I can forget about all the horrible things in the world, just for a little while. 3. After masturbating, I feel so horrible. All that stress comes flooding back to me, plus many more worrisome thoughts. I will feel like complete and utter garbage. For at least a week, my body will ache and feel horrible. I will feel like vomiting, and my head will hurt. :frowning:

There could be two main things that help contribute to why I masturbate. 1. My brother molested me when I was just a little girl. He basically ruined my childhood, and tried to kill my spirit. I’ve only recently told my mother about this (about six months ago). She didn’t take it well at first, but she’s at least trying to help me now. It just seems like, everywhere I go, anything I do, I can’t escape this horrible pain. Even when I go to sleep, I have these horrible nightmares that pale in comparison to the pain I experience in my waking life. In a lot of these nightmares, my brother is holding me down, and it feels like he’s this big bolder on top of me. I try pushing him off, but he just keeps laughing or tries to hold me down harder. I start crying, and it feels like I’m suffocating. When I wake up, I literally break down in tears and start grasping for air. It sucks. 2. I’ve been depressed for years, but for over a year now, I’ve been severely depressed, and I mean SEVERELY. I have thought about killing myself so many times… I try to pray, but sometimes it’s just so much pain that I’m going through. I have no one to support me… Even when I look for help, no one helps me. Every time I hold a knife up to my throat, I just can’t do it. For one, I couldn’t stand leaving my dog alone. She’s like my guardian angel, and without her, I probably would have killed myself years ago. I love her, and she’s like a child to me. I also think about my future children and grandchildren. Where would they be if I killed myself? They wouldn’t be able to have a chance at existing at all. I also think, maybe I can make a difference in the world, you know? Someday, maybe I can help other kids like me. Maybe I can make the world a little more peaceful, in my own little way. I don’t know, I guess I always have this little tiny ounce of hope. I always hope that things will get better, even though I doubt they will.

Now, I want to remain a virgin until marriage. I’ve been wanting to get a purity ring for a very long time, but my mother doesn’t really let me. She thinks it’s a bit nonsensical or something that’s not serious. :frowning: She treats it the same way she would treat me asking for a cool new toy or something… Also, I used to have one, but it sadly fell apart. Even if I did have one, how am I still PURE?! Even though I am a virgin, how am I still at all pure? What would God or my future husband think of me? Would they still think I’m so pure if I masturbated? Would they consider me pure when my brother molested me? :frowning: To me, that answer is no. How could it be yes? My body is complete garbage. It’s ruined, and I have nothing to do about it. Why would God still love me? Why would my future husband ever love me? I will never be loved by anybody. All I am is trash… complete trash.

Do any of you have some helpful advice? I don’t know where else to turn. I feel so alone and depressed… Please help me?

I can’t tell you if you are going to hell. But I can tell you there are ways to avoid that from happening, and that is by not living a sinful life.

Just stop. Get up and do something else when that urge starts. Just stop.

And you need to get some professional help regarding the abuse. Don’t try to do that alone, you can’t. Get the name of a good Catholic counselor, and not someone who is going to tell you that it’s ok for you to commit sin to get over your abuse.

I will keep you in my prayers. I am so sorry to hear of your abuse.

~Liza

If thats the determining factor in deciding whether or not you go to hell you are doing pretty good BUT like others have said its still a sin

Don't you call yourself trash. Don't you even think it!

Jesus didn't die for trash.
He loves you and He wants to be with you forever. you are His bride that He choose to be with before you were even born. He knew before you were born what your brother would do to you and that you would have this trouble but He has prepared great things for you and important work to do in this world. So dont turn inward and only focus on your failure.. see all the good things, all what you still have.
Guess what, none of us in the whole world are pure. and yet we are totally pure, because we have the purity of God.
The Bible promises us that Jesus IS our justification so that we stand blameless in the eyes of God if we confess our sins to Him with repentance and faith.

According to the Church you are still a virgin even if you have been raped.
IT IS NOT YOUR FAULT and it never was.
You know who is saying those things to you, as well as tempting you so you feel release for a short time but hell for one week? It's the adversary. He wants nothing better than for you to feel like trash. Thats how he gets back at Jesus, because Jesus loves you... you understand?

You can stop masturbating. Let your husband be the one who, together with you, finds out what you like sexually. He will be happy that you are a virgin, but he will also wish that you stop being impure with yourself, mainly because of the pain it causes yourself and your relationship with God.

Go to confession and you will be white as snow. God says in the Bible:
"I take your sins and cast them to the bottom of the ocean and I remember them no more." Pretty amazing.. If He doesn't remember them.. then neither should you nor any man you meet.
Your choice today is what matters.. chastity starts today..

Jesus wants you to be joyful but also to realise that this life is not about your glory but about His Glory. You will always do mistakes.. but He will stay the same. What a friend you have in Jesus.

Hugs :)

Hello. :) I am a 17 year old guy so I understand the whole sexual frustration thing. And although I don't do it, I sure do face the temptations. Is it normal to masturbate? According to our society, of course it is. But just because we are told that is normal, does not mean that is right or okay. And morally it isn't normal. We are given the ability to resist such temptations. Taking any part of sex out marriage is wrong and I'm sure other posters can explain elaborate on how taking the physical aspect of sex out of marriage wrong..

Masturbation is grave matter. That means it is an action that is completely wrong under any circumstances. When a person masturbates, knowing full well that it is grave matter, and of their own free will choose to do so anyway then it is a mortal sin.

But we are all human, sin is all around us and be it one type of sin or another we all fall in to sin. However, no matter how much we sin God always love us and He loves you too! :) It is people who sin and don't regret it that are the ones that end up in Hell. So what about us who are sorry for our sins? God gives us the sacrament of reconciliation (confession) so we can wipe away the sins on our soul, both venial and mortal. I encourage you to receive this sacrament as often as you can.

There is something very important though about your situation, and this is being sexually abused by your brother. The church recognizes certain factors in our lives can lessen the culpability for those who masturbate. It's not a get outta jail free card, but what it means is that things like addictions or very traumatic experiences can often get in the way ability to fight sin. Talk to your priest, or if you don't have one, find one near by and explain your situation. He can discuss how much you are culpable for. Not to mention I would encourage you to receive some counseling. Talk to your parents to see if they can help find a place for you to receive some. If they can't or won't help you, go to your school and ask for help.

You are not alone, and you are not doomed for Hell. God loves you and there are many people who go through similar situations. God doesn't forget those who seek His mercy and escape from sin. :)

We have all sinned and are impure. We regain our purity through confession. There is nothing wrong with you, you aren't ruined, your life is not over. Whether or not you are happy and fulfilled in life is in large part due to the choices that you make. If you choose to be happy and have good, fruitful relationships you will. Yes, masturbation is a sin, and like all sin we should try to avoid it. If you fall, go to confession, seek forgiveness, commit yourself to avoiding sin in the future, and move forward. God will forgive you. This is probably not going to be the only sin you ever struggle with in your life and they change over the years.

Live in Christ and know peace.

* Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. 
* Blessed are the meek: for they shall possess the land.
* Blessed are they who mourn: for they shall be comforted. 
* Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill. 
* Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy. 
* Blessed are the clean of heart: for they shall see God. 
* Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.
* Blessed are they that suffer persecution for justice' sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

You are in serious danger. Forget about stopping masturbating now, it's helping you. Please call the suicide hotline in your area. Anyone who thinks about "how to" commit suicide is in deep trouble.

Take control of this part of your life. Call the suicide hotline and ask for help NOW.

You have no future to fix masturbation if you die. You will have no husband if you die.

Please, please, call the hotline or go to a school counselor and tell them that you have thought of hurting yourself. You can even walk into an Emergency Room and tell them. You will be fixed up with professionals who can help you live. Don't worry about finances to pay or what your mother thinks concerning getting help.

I will add you to my prayer list. Our Lord Jesus Christ will see you though this terrible painful time.

My dear you need some professional counseling for all of the bottled up feelings you are experiencing. With your depression and all of your past your culpablility for masturbation may be little to none. You need to seek the guidance of a priest along with some professional counseling for your depression and previous molestation.

The very last thing that you need in your situation are a bunch of people telling you here that you are in grave sin or that you are going to hell. Yes, objectively, masturbation is serious matter. But in your case you have many external issues that can hinder your full consent to the act. And full consent is a necessary component to mortal sin.

You are NOT trash. You were created in the image and likeness of God and Jesus came to earth for all of us who sin and miss the mark. You are no different than anyone else on this forum or in this world for that matter. We all sin. The difference is is that in most cases we can understand that we really are good people who through weakness fail. In your case, you do not see yourself as a good person and so you are clouded with thoughts of depression. You are a beautiful human being and your future husband will be very proud of you because you have integrity. And that shines through in your post.

Most seventeen year old kids would not have the ability to discern how their actions might affect their relationship with God. But you are doing just that and God knows that. So to answer your question: Are you going to hell for masturbating? I would have to say that you seem more contrite than most and that your failure in this area is due to so many factors. I cannot imagine God reading your post and saying, "sorry, daughter, you are intentionally offending me so stay in your separation from Me". That's not what I see here. But I highly advise you to seek the counsel of a priest and of a professional psychologist. You are a very good person and you have every right to know that God loves you unconditionally. You are not trash. In fact, you are quite the contrary. You are a great example for all those your age who go on and sin as if it never even matters. God bless you and keep up the good work. Jesus loves you and He is there for you always. Remember how much you love your dog. You wouldn't kick your dog out of the house if he pooped on the carpet because circumstances were that he wasn"t able to go outside. And neither will an infinitle loving God kick you out because you cannot go outside of your depression and your past.

God bless you.................. teachccd

[quote="Camille_Alden, post:7, topic:229273"]
You are in serious danger. Forget about stopping masturbating now, it's helping you. Please call the suicide hotline in your area. Anyone who thinks about "how to" commit suicide is in deep trouble.

Take control of this part of your life. Call the suicide hotline and ask for help NOW.

You have no future to fix masturbation if you die. You will have no husband if you die.

Please, please, call the hotline or go to a school counselor and tell them that you have thought of hurting yourself. You can even walk into an Emergency Room and tell them. You will be fixed up with professionals who can help you live. Don't worry about finances to pay or what your mother thinks concerning getting help.

I will add you to my prayer list. Our Lord Jesus Christ will see you though this terrible painful time.

[/quote]

I completely agree, couldn't have put it better myself. Please follow this poster's advice especially if the suicidal feelings are still happening on a regular basis, or right this minute.

[quote="MyLoveWaits, post:1, topic:229273"]
snip..Now, I want to remain a virgin until marriage. I've been wanting to get a purity ring for a very long time, but my mother doesn't really let me. She thinks it's a bit nonsensical or something that's not serious. :( She treats it the same way she would treat me asking for a cool new toy or something... Also, I used to have one, but it sadly fell apart. Even if I did have one, how am I still PURE?! Even though I am a virgin, how am I still at all pure? What would God or my future husband think of me? Would they still think I'm so pure if I masturbated? Would they consider me pure when my brother molested me? :( To me, that answer is no. How could it be yes? My body is complete garbage. It's ruined, and I have nothing to do about it. Why would God still love me? Why would my future husband ever love me? I will never be loved by anybody. All I am is trash... complete trash.

Do any of you have some helpful advice? I don't know where else to turn. I feel so alone and depressed... Please help me?

[/quote]

Dear MyLoveWaits you have ben given life to live not to die.
Please try your best not to masturbate and be patient with yourself, wallowing in the mire of your actions only serve to bring you deeper into the mire. Reach up and take the hand of the Lord which He extends to you in the sacrement of confesion.

[quote="Camille_Alden, post:7, topic:229273"]
Forget about stopping masturbating now, it's helping you.

[/quote]

Pardon me, but I really don't agree with this statement. I understand that your intent is to focus on the OP's suicidal thoughts and the dangers associated with them, but I don't think the OP shouldn't stop. Christ doesn't call us to fix one thing at a time, He calls us to be holy, like Himself. We may have to fix only one thing at a time because we are weak, but that doesn't mean it's okay to forget about fixing the other things. Also, she stated that she feels terrible for a long time after committing this sin, so I don't see how it's helping her.

To the OP, I just want to give you a hug! You are not trash, though I understand how easy it is to feel like trash when you feel like all you can do is fail the One who loves you most. But, as another poster said, those thoughts are the work of Satan. The Truth is that none of us are worthy of God's love by our actions, but Satan twists that Truth. He wants you to believe that you are not worthy of God's love at all. We are worthy of God's love, by virtue of His creation and Spirit. If you were not worthy of God's love, He would not have created you. You said you believe you can make a change in the world, and that is also Truth. God knew what would happen before He created you, and yet He created you anyway. He did not do that so you would suffer, but so you would have the opportunity for new life in Christ despite your suffering. You may well have a calling to help others who have been through the same trauma.

The things that happen to us, especially something traumatic like being molested, make it easier for Satan to enter our hearts and minds and twist what we know of Truth. I encourage you to try to spend time in Adoration before the Blessed Sacrament. This will help chase him out of your heart and restore your peace. Receiving the Sacrament of Reconciliation will help as well. Try to make an appointment with a priest to talk about your experiences. You might also try to contact your diocese for recommendations on a counselor. If your parent(s) won't help you, tell that to your priest or diocese as well. One of the clergy, or a even a layperson, could be a powerful advocate for you.

As for the purity ring, it may be a helpful tool for you, as a reminder of your promise to yourself and to God. You needn't purchase something that is specifically marketed as a chastity ring. You could use any ring with a cross or other symbol on it. Also pray to the Virgin Mother for help in upholding your virtue. She is the patron saint of virgins and a powerful advocate for all.

Finally, please keep us updated. I will be praying for you along with the others, and I would love to know how you are doing.

My dear dear lady,
I'm so sorry to hear of your suffering! God loves you so much. He would give you a big hug and wipe away your tears if He could.

Yes, masturbation is wrong. Try to stop yourself. Do you say prayers before going to sleep? If you don't, try starting to. Here is one which I find helps me a lot:

Dear Lord,
Teach me to know the obstacles that, consciously or unconsciously, I am placing in the way of your grace in me. Grant me the strength to set them aside and, if I am negligent therein, vouchsafe to remove them yourself regardless of how much I may suffer thereby. What would you have me do for you this day, Oh God? Grant that our inner conversation may never cease; that I may never separate myself from You; that I may recieve all that You desire to give me; and that I may not stand in the way of the grace which, through me, should be poured out upon other souls to give them light and life.
Amen.

Or just try speaking honestly with God! He's always listening, waiting for you to draw closer to Him.

I'll say a prayer for you; and have courage, you can beat this masturbation thing. If you slip up, confess your sins, and God will be there to catch you. He loves you so much that he died for you in an excruciatingly painful way. That's how much He wants you to listen to Him. Never forget that He loves you and has your best interest at heart. It sounds like masturbation is making you miserable anyway. You are not trash, and God can make you pure and clean again. That's what the church is there for.

God bless
with love
Sarah

All words looks and actions are contrary to the sixth and ninth commandments so yes masturbation is a mortal sin. The best way to combat it is by going to confession and Holy Communion freequently. Say the Rosary daily and ask Our Blessed Mother to wrap you in her Mantle of Holy Purity and try and develop a deep devotion to Our Blessed Mother.
Here is a prayer that I say daily and it works wonders for helping me to stay good.
A Prayer To Our Blessed Mother
Take my hand O' Blessed Mother.
Hold me firmly 'lest I fall.
I grow nervous while walking and.
Humbly on thee call.

Guide me over every crossing.
Watch me when I am on the stairs.
Let me know that you 're beside me.
Listen to my fervent prayers.

Bring me to my destination.
Safely along the way.
Bless my every undertaking. And my duties for the day.

And when evening creeps upon me.
I'll never fear to be alone.
Once again 'O Blessed Mother.
Take my hand and lead me home.
Remember God is all full of love and mercy and he does love us. very much. As long as we are sorry for our sins and try to live a good life he does forgive us.

Antrim

=MyLoveWaits;7561411]Hi, there. I'm a seventeen year old girl. I'll try to make this brief.

Um, I have been masturbating for almost a year now. :( When I first started, I honestly didn't even understand what it was. Sure I've heard of it plenty of times before, but I didn't know what went where or anything like that. Before I started, I researched it. Everyone told me something along the lines of, "There's absolutely nothing wrong with it. You're discovering your body. It's healthy for you." After I started doing it though, I always felt bad. I couldn't explain why. It just made me feel like dirt and very sinful. So, I researched whether it was a sin or not. I found out how horrible a sin it is. It's a mortal sin.... :( The worst of all sins. That sudden realization made me want to literally lay down and die. People were telling me, "If you masturbate, you're going to hell. Those telling you it's healthy are wrong. It does drastic things to your soul." :( sighs Then, somebody else will say, "Don't listen to them. Masturbating is part of being a human being. People have been doing it for all of mankind. Don't feel bad for it." THEN, someone will say, "If you're a Catholic, your church says you're going to hell for it." :( It's a very confusing cycle of answers that I'm getting.

So, I don't really know what to believe. Here is what I do know: 1. Every time before I masturbate, I have mixed feelings. My hormones are rushing, so I start to agree with those saying it's completely normal. Then, in the back of my head I hear, "You're going to hell..." :blush: 2. During masturbating, I feel like all the stress is leaving my body. I can forget about all the horrible things in the world, just for a little while. 3. After masturbating, I feel so horrible. All that stress comes flooding back to me, plus many more worrisome thoughts. I will feel like complete and utter garbage. For at least a week, my body will ache and feel horrible. I will feel like vomiting, and my head will hurt. :(

Do any of you have some helpful advice? I don't know where else to turn. I feel so alone and depressed... Please help me?

***Under NORMAL Conditions this ia a GRAVE ABUSE / a Mortal sin.

Having said that; in order for an act to be A MORTAL SIN, THREE CONDITIONS MUST BE PRESENT;

One: Serious Matter [This is]

Two: Pre- Knowledge that it is a serious Matr and that your about to commit a Mortal sin. NOTE: IF one ought to know this; then it couls still qualify as a Mortal Sin.

*Three: **a desire and intent to comit the act anyway.

Habit, can possibly lessen the gravity; BUT this is a Confessors decission. IT is critically important for you to get to Confession ASAP and hve a frank and candid discussion with your priest; who by the way, under penalty of DEATH [literally] cannot discuss you or your sins outside of he Confesional with anyone! PERIOD!

Know also that "there are no NEW SINS" the priest has heard them all.

Here is what the Bible say's:

1John.1 Verses 8 to 10: "If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just, and will forgive our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us."

1John.5 Verses 16 to 17 "If any one sees his brother committing what is not a mortal sin, he will ask, and God will give him life for those whose sin is not mortal. There is sin which is mortal; I do not say that one is to pray for that. All wrongdoing is sin, but there is sin which is not mortal.

John.20 Verses 20 to 23 *" When he had said this, he showed them his hands and his side. Then the disciples were glad when they saw the Lord. **Jesus said to them again, "Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, even so I send you." And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and said to them, "Receive the Holy Spirit. If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained”*

This is a CLEAR, Precise an Truthful MANDATE of Jesus Christ. Not adhering to it GREATLY endangers one's soul getting to heaven.

Ask our Blessed Mother and the Holy Spirit to assist you.

God Bless you!
Pat**

OMG people will you stop acting like the most important thing here is masturbation? She was sexually abused by her brother for God's sake. Little one, you need some help and you need to tell your Mom how you are feeling and how depressed you are. You are NOT trash and masturbation is not the worst sin there is. Not even close. People who were forced to be sexual at an early age are often hyper sexual when they are young. I personally think you are doing very well. Many girls in your situation may have gone out and already slept around with many people by now to try and validate themselves, but you have not and you don't intend to. Believe me, Jesus knows your struggles and your heart and He is not about to send you to hell for something like this given what you have been through. Tell your Mom you need help and focus on your depression first and foremost...then worry about the masturbation issue.

There is a site called suicideforum.com as well. A lot of people on there are very kind and are struggling with depression and sexual abuse also if you want to go there to talk.

PM me if you want to talk as well.

God loves you more than you can imagine.

[quote="Thoughtfulone, post:15, topic:229273"]
OMG people will you stop acting like the most important thing here is masturbation? She was sexually abused by her brother for God's sake. Little one, you need some help and you need to tell your Mom how you are feeling and how depressed you are. You are NOT trash and masturbation is not the worst sin there is. Not even close. People who were forced to be sexual at an early age are often hyper sexual when they are young. I personally think you are doing very well. Many girls in your situation may have gone out and already slept around with many people by now to try and validate themselves, but you have not and you don't intend to. Believe me, Jesus knows your struggles and your heart and He is not about to send you to hell for something like this given what you have been through. Tell your Mom you need help and focus on your depression first and foremost...then worry about the masturbation issue.

There is a site called suicideforum.com as well. A lot of people on there are very kind and are struggling with depression and sexual abuse also if you want to go there to talk.

[/quote]

Since it is the topic of this thread, in the context of this thread it is the most important thing. The next most important thing is to explain its sinfulness. The next most important thing is that Jesus died so we can be free of this sin. One must acknowledge sin for what it is and repent so we can be free of sin.

[quote="Thoughtfulone, post:15, topic:229273"]

[/quote]

I'm siding with you on this one..........this girl needs some drastic help. We are so hung up on the sexual stuff that we don't see the HUGE elephant in the room: a girl who is depressed and suicidal. Lord God may you guide her to seek the counseling that she needs. WHEN she can see herself as someone of worth and not trash THEN she can have the wits about her to work on the other issues. Right now the sexual issues are only adding to her depression and her thoughts of suicide. Is it Christ like to feed into those thoughts by accentuating her guilt?

[quote="davidv, post:16, topic:229273"]
Since it is the topic of this thread, in the context of this thread it is the most important thing. The next most important thing is to explain its sinfulness. The next most important thing is that Jesus died so we can be free of this sin. One must acknowledge sin for what it is and repent so we can be free of sin.

[/quote]

What? This girl's total well being is the topic of Christianity. How can we not hear her cry for help? She puts knives to her throat and we are concerning ourself with a sexual act that the CCC clearly states that in certain circumstances (such as this) culpablity can be lessened or even removed. Are we more concerned with a thread topic or the entire issue that this young girl is facing? Please........

[quote="teachccd, post:18, topic:229273"]
What? This girl's total well being is the topic of Christianity. How can we not hear her cry for help? She puts knives to her throat and we are concerning ourself with a sexual act that the CCC clearly states that in certain circumstances (such as this) culpablity can be lessened or even removed. Are we more concerned with a thread topic or the entire issue that this young girl is facing? Please........

[/quote]

YES. Please people, first things first!

I'm praying my rosary for you tonight.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.