Am I going to hell?

I had masturbated a few times before I realised it was a mortal sin! If I knew it was, I never would have done it. I have vowed never to do it again. I love God and want to be with him.
Am I going to hell?

No. Just confess it next time you go to confession. You should go to confession before receiving the Eucharist again.

Thanks. May I ask a question… what would happen if someone never realised that it was a sin? Would they go to hell? (just wondering by the way)

That’s an interesting question, and difficult to answer because the line between knowing and not knowing it is a sin is very fine.

Even if a person does not know that masturbation is a mortal sin according to the Church, they still *know *it is wrong. You see, woven into our natures, as human beings, is the natural law. Our consciences tell us what is right and what is wrong, not overtly like the laws of the Church do, but quietly, in our minds and hearts.

A person who masturbates may not realize it now, and may not fully understand the ramifications of his action, but still has that voice telling him it is wrong. Further, he can often see how the masturbation negatively affects his relations with other people, his understanding of human sexuality, and, if he is married, his marriage.

So, no, I would say that a person can still be held responsible for his sin even if he does not know it is wrong in the eyes of the Church.

(Note: The word “he” is used here, correctly, as the third person singular. It does not restrict what I have said to males, but includes females.)

If they had no clue, then we wouldn’t know.
God is the ultimate judge of our souls, only he can decide who goes to heaven, or hell, or will go through purification in purgatory.

In order for a sin to be mortal you must have:
full consent
full knowledge
It also must be a serious matter.

God Bless +++

Only you can chose to reject God in eternity. God will not send you to Hell. Doesn’t work that way.

Christ said: “I received all judgment, but I judge no one…There is a judge for the one who rejects me and does not accept my words; that very word which I spoke will condemn him at the last day”.

For the same reason, someone who truly invincibly ignored that X was a grave sin and a serious offense against God, then the Lord could not hold Him guilty of eternal punishment, for “if you are blind, you have no sin”. However it is written: “I will engrave my law in their hearts”. Everyone, even in the most remote culture of the planet, knows in his heart the basic tenets of Divine Law.

We are given more, a greater share in the wisdom of the Kingdom, but beware of the Lord’s admonition:

that servant who knew his master’s will and did not get ready or act in accord with his will, will receive many lashes, but the one who did not know it, and committed deeds worthy of a flogging, will receive but few.

From everyone who has been given much, much will be required; and to whom they entrusted much, of him they will ask all the more.

We mustn’t fear Hell in itself. Hell is a self-inflicted rejection of God, and we enter it only by final impenitence. What we must fear is sin. We are sinners, and our human nature is corrupted. But in Baptism we become partakers in the Divine Nature (2 Peter 1:4), temples of the Holy Spirit, members of the one body of Christ. In Christ we have strength to overcome sin, and forgiveness to be restored in grace after we sin and repent.

Only God knows. He sees your heart and your intention. Pray through Jesus for forgiveness . Confession is good for the soul and will ease your mind.

:thumbsup: And here is the source about mortal sin: usccb.org/beliefs-and-teachings/what-we-believe/catechism/catechism-of-the-catholic-church/epub/index.cfm#. I would suggest looking at para 1854 to 1876. They are mainly very short paragraphs (some just two lines) and the last seven are a summary.

As other have said, please go to confession, do your best, pray and if you fall, pick yourself up and repeat from * to * as many times as you need. We all have our burdens, however, God is divinely merciful and loving and always has His arms open for the repentant sinner and prodigal son/daughter. He will never tire of forgiving us, even if we get tired or frustrated of repeating a sin, especially when we try so hard not to.

Have said a prayer for you. :gopray:

May God bless and strengthen you.

We know that masturbation is a grave matter. Even if all 3 conditions for mortal sin were not present at the time, it still would be a venial sin, and now that you do know, you should confess it regardless. You can tell the priest that you didn’t know it was a sin at the time.

Confession is a sacrament of healing. Regardless of whether you knew it was a sin or not at the time, chances are, you will struggle with it because masturbation is a very powerful temptation. The Sacrament of Confession can help you overcome the struggle, even if the sin at the time was only venial.

Don’t be frightened to go to Confession. Priests have heard this sin over and over and over. You are not going to shock them, and in fact, they admire penitents for their humility and courage to confess difficult sins.

God is Love. Jesus came to die for our sins and stated that only The Father is the Judge and that even He< Jesus, did not come to judge. He obeyed His Father and Died for our sins because “God so loved the World that He gave his only begotten son that we should not perish [go to hell].” . If even Jesus did not come to judge, who are we to discount God’s love to save us form sin. If we were without sin there would be no need for His dying a horrific death on the cross. If we were already absolved by His sacrifice, we would no longer see sin in the world. We are to work out our salvation with fear and trembling! not just those who masterbate…all of us.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.