am i in mortal sin?

so I posted a situation a few days ago about potentially missing mass.

well, I really really tried to go. we were supposed to go camping on Saturday but my parents got in a fight so we didn’t end up leaving that day.

my mom then schedules some papers that needed to be signed in the afternoon which I had to go with them to do and then she wanted to go to the doctor’s office to pick up a report and book an appointment for a cardiologist since she’s been having some issues lately. I was going to go to evening mass on Saturday but that didn’t happen because I was stuck in another part of the city with them.

they then decided that they wanted to leave early sunday morning. we were supposed to leave at 8 but due to thei slowness, we ended up leaving at 9 and the place we were going to was a 2 hour drive. I had looked up mass times there but obviously, due to the time we left, ended up missing those as well.

I had also looked up a sunday evening mass time and finally convinced them to drive me there but when we got there, it turns it was only every 3rd sunday of the month that they had evening mass so either the archdiocese website was wrong or I misread something.

I really didn’t want to miss. do I have to go to confession again for this? I just went a week ago and was really trying to avoid any kind of serious sin for a while.

is there anything I could have done differently, what would you guys have done in this situation?

Since you were needing to use your parent’s transportation to mass and you did try on Sunday eve., I don’t see any reason that this would be a sin at all. I would find out the buses that run for next time (if your parents will allow that), but that wouldn’t help with this situation since you were on the opposite side of town. Maybe you could find out what church may be over there (if you’ve more than one) and the buses that run there. Otherwise, pray for a while. A mass on TV is helpful if you’ve access to one.

no.

Tell your mom to please consider your personal schedule in future.

Relax, angell1. You tried to make Mass, and made every attempt to make Mass. Missing Mass is only a mortal sin if it is intentional.

I would seriously advise you to seek spiritual advisement (or at least talk with your pastor informally in private), as it seems like you are beginning to border on scrupulosity. Scrupulosity is a true occupational hazard of being Catholic, and can be as bad as excessive pride.

A prideful person (full of hubris -the type of pride which is a deadly sin) feels he/she can do no wrong. A scrupulous person feels he/she can do no right - that everything he/she does is a mortal sin of some kind. It’s important to strive for true humility, which is understanding that we are sinners, but that God’s mercy is beyond all of our faults. We need to see Him as a loving Father - not as a vengeful judge.

No sin whatsoever, as you were in no way in command of the situation.

ICXC NIKA

No sin at all.

Please note below how the obligation is described in the catechism (with my bolding):

2181 The Sunday Eucharist is the foundation and confirmation of all Christian practice. For this reason the faithful are obliged to participate in the Eucharist on days of obligation, unless excused for a serious reason (for example, illness, the care of infants) or dispensed by their own pastor.119 Those who deliberately fail in this obligation commit a grave sin.

There is no way in which you have deliberately failed. In fact, your desire to attend mass and attempt to do so seem to be more aptly described as heroic.

As pianistclare suggest, you could (politely) ask your mom to consider your schedule in the furture.

I tried, but when she’s angry, like she was with my dad, it’s her way or no way. it can get quite irrational

Well, someday you will be on your own, and she will have to deal with that. You will look back on all this one day and at least you will know that did you best to please your parents. :shrug:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.