Am I incorrect?

I lead a Bible study in my parish. Contrasting the Aaronic priesthood with the Christian priesthood, I want to make the following assertion:

The Aaronic priests, like pagan priests, represented man to God by offering various sacrifices in accordance with the Mosaic Law.

Christian priests, acting in persona Christi Capitis, represent God to man by administering the sacraments, in particular by offering the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass.

Would that statement be inaccurate?
Thanks,

Jim

It does not sound erroneous - to my ignorant ears, at least. I think the Letter to the Hebrews has a wonderful description of the priesthood in Christ and goes over that which you are trying to concisely express - perhaps you may employ it to enrich your argument.

[quote="Savagedds, post:1, topic:314268"]
Christian priests, acting in persona Christi Capitis, represent God to man by administering the sacraments, in particular by offering the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass.

[/quote]

Jim,

I think, though, that you could also say that Catholic priests "represent man to God", inasmuch as the Eucharist is a presentation of Christ's sacrifice to God.

So, maybe if you nuanced it as "the Aaronic priest only represents man to God, whereas the Catholic priest also represents God to man", you'd cover all your bases... ;)

Blessings,

G.

I would also remove the phrase. “like pagan priests”…it could lead to misunderstanding.

Peace
James

Thanks to all. Those changes have been made.

Jim

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.