"Am I Saved?" past tense? huh?

Hi CAF Friends,

What does St. Paul mean when he says, “by grace you have been saved” past tense? I read & heard that phrase a couple times in this past Sunday’s second reading.

I thought that my salvation was more of a work in progress type thing rather than “you did / said / professed belief in XYZ and now you’re saved” type thing.

Also, I’ve been asked a couple of times from non-Catholic Christian friends, “Are you saved?” I think I’ve replied with “maybe” or “I’m not there yet” kind of answers. How should I respond to these people?

Thanks CAF.

Ben

The grace of justification at the moment of our baptism. :thumbsup:

so for an instant during our Baptism we are totally holy, totally without sin, like we would be in eternal heaven?

Correct. Assuming the Sacrament is valid and conferred licitly, the effects of Baptism include the remission of sin, both original sin and all actual sins, and the punishments due to sin. Accordingly, one who dies immediately after receiving Baptism goes straight to heaven.

From the Catechism of Trent:

Third Effect Of Baptism: Grace Of Regeneration

But to return to the effects of Baptism, it should be taught that by virtue of this Sacrament we are not only delivered from what are justly deemed the greatest of all evils, but are also enriched with invaluable goods and blessings. Our souls are replenished with divine grace, by which we are rendered just and children of God and are made heirs to eternal salvation. For it is written: He that believeth and is baptised, shall be saved, and the Apostle testifies that the Church is cleansed by the laver of water in the word of life. Now according to the definition of the Council of Trent, which under pain of anathema we are bound to believe, grace not only remits sin, but is also a divine quality inherent in the soul, and, as it were, a brilliant light that effaces all those stains which obscure the lustre of the soul, investing it with increased brightness and beauty. This is also a clear inference from the words of Scripture when it says that grace is poured forth, and also when it usually calls grace, the pledge of the Holy Ghost.

HI,

Well I would quote what St. Paul said:

(1Co 4:3 KJV) But with me it is a very small thing that I should be judged of you, or of man’s judgment: yea, I judge not mine own self.

(1Co 4:4 KJV) For I know nothing by myself; yet am I not hereby justified: but he that judgeth me is the Lord.

another bible version

(1Co 4:3 ESV) But with me it is a very small thing that I should be judged by you or by any human court. In fact, I do not even judge myself.

(1Co 4:4 ESV) For I am not aware of anything against myself, but I am not thereby acquitted. It is the Lord who judges me.

Paul do not judge him self as being saved.

:rolleyes:

Answer them that just as the Bible says, you have been saved, are being saved, and hope to be saved at your judgment.

Or tell them that you are working out your salvation in fear and trembling, just as St. Paul says.

to all: thanks!

Very good answer! When you accept Jesus as your Lord & Savior you are saved…but it can be quickly lost when you commit a sin which is not confessed.
That’s why the devil doesn’t give up in tempting us…we are not “once saved, always saved.”

The devil definitely want those OSAS believers. I think the most popular word exclaimed by him would be “Surprise!”. Yunno, like those unexpected birthday party surprises.

So you are without excuse…(Romans 2. 1)

We have the power of the Gospel…(Romans 1: 16)
We now have His power to do loving actions–give love, time, energy, help, patience, kindness, joy, peace, generosity, faith, pure love to our spouses.

We know that God’s judgment falls on all who do such things…

On all Jews, Jewish Christians, Gentiles, Gentile Christians, barbarians

His love corrects all of us on planet earth. ALL! It is beautiful. He always works to make me more loving.

The Bible speaks about salvation in all three tenses

Salvation is past, present and future, reaching it’s fulfillment when we enter heaven.

-Tim-

truetofaith #8
Very good answer! When you accept Jesus as your Lord & Savior you are saved…

That is not St Paul’s answer.

We have been REDEEMED by Christ, and salvation is dependant on our state at death. Our salvation depends on our cooperation in believing and acting as best we know in doing good and avoiding evil. Jesus redeemed us (opened Heaven), we have to play our part to be saved. As St Paul teaches: “But I chastise my body, and bring it into subjection lest perhaps, when I have preached to others, I myself should become a castaway.” (1Cor 9:27). And again: “Wherefore he who thinks that he stands, let him take heed lest he fall.” (1 Cor 10:12). Yet again, “And we exhort you not to receive the grace of God in vain.” (2 Cor 6:1).

As stated by Paul, what is lacking for our salvation is what only we can do, for the sake of His Body which is the Church. Christ was acting for the whole human race, not instead of, not as a substitute. “He bore our sins in His own Body on the Cross.” (1Pet. 2:29). What did Paul say must happen because Christ is the one mediator? “Supplication, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for all men” (1Tim 2:1-5). Thus we are all called to be co-redeemers. [See *Christ In Eclipse, Frank Sheed, Sheed & Ward, 1978, p 105-108).

“It is not those who say to Me, ‘Lord, Lord’, who will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the person who does the will of My Father in heaven.” (Mt 7:21). When asked “What must I do to have eternal life?” Jesus answered, “Keep the commandments.” (Mt 19:16-17).

, Frank Sheed, Sheed & Ward, 1978, p 105-108).

“It is not those who say to Me, ‘Lord, Lord’, who will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the person who does the will of My Father in heaven.” (Mt 7:21). When asked “What must I do to have eternal life?” Jesus answered, “Keep the commandments.” (Mt 19:16-17).

You didn’t quote my entire post, Abu! :frowning: Here is what I said in answer to zz912 :

Originally Posted by zz912 View Post
Answer them that just as the Bible says, you have been saved, are being saved, and hope to be saved at your judgment.

Or tell them that you are working out your salvation in fear and trembling, just as St. Paul says.

Very good answer! When you accept Jesus as your Lord & Savior you are saved…but it can be quickly lost when you commit a sin which is not confessed.
That’s why the devil doesn’t give up in tempting us…we are not “once saved, always saved.”

It is difficult to explain why I hold this to be so valuable, so I won’t.

Bottom Line: We are saved by faith. It is empowered by the Gospel. The Gospel and faith are empower by God’s love.

The obedience of faith: Faith empowers us to do God’s love. It is His love that saves us.

The gift of faith empowers us to obey God’s loving will.

James 2: 14 - 20 faith without works is dead.

God love produces ("karpos: effects and works) in us love, joy, peace and so forth.

I agree with you truetofaith. His love works in us and produces love…faith…chastity.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.