Am I supposed to wear a veil?

Hi:)

I’m a new convert. I’m sure this question is asked every other day but are we, or are we not supposed to wear veils?

At the church I attend no one wears one, so I take this to mean its not required anymore.

If I went to a latin Mass would I be expected to wear one?

Thanks

No, it has not been required by women for many years. It is still rare to find them at the vast majority of parishes today. Just come as yourself.

It varies by parish on who would wear them, generally if you attend the older Latin form you are more likely to wear one but not required, look for the local custom.

no it is not required, simply because it is no longer a cultural standard. If you lived in an area–Africa or the East perhaps–where it was a cultural standard, you might be expected to wear a head covering of some type at Mass.

If you should ever attend a Latin Mass, the head covering would still not be absolutely required, but ushers might quietly suggest it, and they may even have some available to borrow or purchase. if you travel in an area where you think it might be required, you could tuck a scarf or something in your purse just in case. a veil per se was never required of lay women, just a head covering.

There used to be a requirement in canon law that women cover their heads at Mass. That was removed in 1983 so it is not mandatory. If you would like to wear a hat or veil you may, but if you look around on Sunday morning you’ll note that most women do not.

At Latin Masses women generally do cover their heads. So even though it is not mandatory, it would probably be more comfortable to go along with the custom.

*head covering, yes that is what I meant.:slight_smile:

Yep, that sums it up pretty well. :thumbsup: Really, it comes down to custom - varies on Form, culture, regions, etc. I like the advice on having one just in case, but most places no longer have the custom of wearing a chapel veil.

After attending a Latin Mass, sans hat or veil, my feeling at the time afterwards, was that my hair was a mess. Being a Catholic who examines one’s conscience, and, thinking that wearing a veil or hat, or not, surely couldn’t be the problem, I decided that it was a metaphor for something and made an effort in that direction. As an after comment, I went to a parish course on Revelations, and heard the Priest mention lion haired women, which prompted me to get a good trim, despite the fact that my hair falls quite straight. Women are allowed to be attractive, and guilting them will only make women fat, the one outlet left. Has anyone wondered where all the pretty dresses have gone? If you do anything, and, especially as a young woman, dress feminine and be beautiful … and pray to the Virgin.

Just out of curiosity, why was it removed?

I don’t know for sure, but I assume it’s because times changed. Women no longer wore hats in general. But I’m no expert!

Canon 1262 of the 1917 Code of Canon Law stated:

§1. It is desirable that, consistent with ancient discipline, women be separated from men in church.

§2. Men, in a church or outside a church, while they are assisting at sacred rites, shall be bare-headed, unless the approved mores of the people or peculiar circumstances of things determine otherwise; women, however, shall have a covered head and be modestly dressed, especially when they approach the table of the Lord. Source]

You’ll note that women and men don’t sit in separate parts of the church either.

But you also might notice that the bishop will remove his mitre and at certain parts of the Mass he will also remove his zuchetto keeping in line with Canon Law.

The reason the law about women covering their heads has never been given. There are many suppositions although no one knows for sure because the Vatican has never explained.

I usually wear a skirt or dress as I feel funny in pants. :slight_smile:

What is your hypothesis about the disappearance of skirts and dresses?

Considering the whole hand-holding extravaganza, strange men and women holding hands now in Mass, its a wonder that they used to sit on opposite sides. Wow, we’ve gone a long way from tradition haven’t we?

Wear your mantilla. It’s tradition!.:thumbsup:

Why would you ask that question here? Why not ask your parish Priest? Do you trust these people more than him?

You forgot one very important thing: dress modestly!

No, a head covering was traditional for women, as so many explained (puzzleannie’s being the best IMO). It upsets me when people assume mantilas are the only head covering that ever was.

That raises a point I’ve been curious about. It seems like the mantilla originated in Spain, or at least that’s all I’ve been able to find out about it’s history:
spanishpassion.com/mantilla/mantilla_ha_i.html

Does anyone else know what other types/styles of head coverings women may have used or currently use in other times and cultures? And why did mantillas catch on here in the U.S.? It seems like the only option for church head coverings nowadays.

Well I went to a Catholic convent, and in my last year or so there (back in the late 1980s) the nuns lost their habits. It was very strange to suddenly see them walking round with their hair visible, seeing its colour, condition and the fact that it was quite short. I didnt think they looked so smart, and found it a distraction. I think this is why traditionally women wore something in church so as not to distract or tempt men. In a previous situation with a male friend I wore a baseball cap, no make-up and dark plain androdgynous clothes so that I didn’t ‘tempt’ him which made him laugh! :smiley:

When I went to mid-week Mass at my local church the other day there was an elderly lady who wore a veil and what looked like a traditional catholic dress. I think she bought it from Malta if you are interested…!

What is a traditional catholic dress?
I personally think women have thrown away their femininity in exchange for either an androgenous male look (pants) or a sluty look as in most modern fashions for young women.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not hating and Im not judgemental about individuals. But I am judgmental about modern movements, such as feminism. Look where that got us?? Nowhere?

And now you have women who have short hair and wear pants and look like men. They sit on the same side of the church as men. Men and women hold hands during Mass:eek:

We are erasing the differences between man and women and making us into one androgenous lump. Which we all know is a lie. Now women think they are really cool because they know how to immitate a man. (work like a man, fight in wars like a man, wear pants like a man…)

I tell ya…:smiley:

And now you’re telling me Nuns are going the same direction!?

Sometimes I want to grab women by the shoulders and just shake them! What is wrong with you???:smiley:

And women want to be Priests too!

There is something very very wrong with women today.:frowning:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.