Am I the only one that's annoyed by End Times speculations?

I mean no offense, but Christ said was “that day and hour no one knoweth, not the angels of heaven, but the Father alone.” Can we be satisfied knowing that when the last days come, God will win, and leave it at that?

And just to clarify, I do not object to, and in fact encourage, trying to relate to how we can use these prophecies to live better lives ourselves. But the reason why they are highly figurative prophecies in the first place is because, and please correct me if I’m mistaken, we were not intended to, nor are we able to, completely decipher them.

I agree with you, “ED”. They bug me, too. Mainly because (as you pointed out) Our Lord made a statement… that it is NOT for man (or woman) to know the hour that the “End” will come. But for God the Father, alone.

To my way of thinking… that statement from Our Lord, nullifies any speculative thought on the subject. If Jesus says we “can’t know”… what is the use of speculating? :shrug:

It is entirely probable that each of us will experience our own, personal “End Times” (death) before the Second Coming of Jesus. We would spend our time much more wisely… in straightening out our own lives, and trying to live each day as though it WERE our last.

Thank you for tolerating my :twocents: :wink:

God bless. :slight_smile:

Yes, I find it amusing when certain preachers claim to know something Jesus Himself didn’t know!

I remember many years ago this BBS there was a discussion on the end times, Tribulation theories, etc. One person described himself as a “pan-Tribulationist” because he believed everything would “pan out” in the end. I believe that to be the wisest position to take…

I agree… Especially because: One of these days, you’ll be right! :thumbsup:

:twocents:
tee

Me, too . . .

You know, I’m convinced that when the world does end on the Last Day, I am positive there will be some knucklehead out there shouting, “See, I told you so!”

Nother one annoyed by 'em here. As Our Lord said ‘sufficient to each day is the evil thereof’. Why anyone would want to be thinking about future events that are totally beyond their control is beyond me

I agree that we’re not supposed to know. It is kinda fun to read the theories, though:blush: The way I see it, if the world ends tomorrow, all it means is that I finally get a vacation

NO and I am especially annoyed be Catholics who do this.They should know better!

:rotfl: Robert, how FUNNY! I wonder if the “knucklehead” will be a sheep or a goat? :hmmm:

While is it true that “No man knows the day or the hour,” I’m wondering if “it is later than we think” (to quote the old-time radio show Lights Out). I was listening to a podcast of “The Church in the West,” an episode from season six of Michael Voris’s *One True Faith *show (you can check out his shows at catholictelevision.org/main.php?nav=04&content=20, and it got me to thinking. I don’t mean to be a gloomy gus, but it seems the “apostasy” St Paul spoke of in 2 Thessalonians 2:3 is coming to pass. The churches in Europe are virtually empty, and the US isn’t in much better shape. There are those in the Church who occupy positions of authority and who use their positions to attack church teachings; as well as “celebrities” who advocate a pseudo-spirituality ('Having the form of religion but denying the power of it," as St. Paul writes in 2 Tim 3:5). With all that is happening, I’m reminded of the words of Jesus:

But yet the Son of man, when he cometh, shall he find, think you, faith on earth? (Luke 18:8, Douai-Rheims Bible).

In Mark, Jesus also said

“Learn a lesson from the fig tree.
When its branch becomes tender and sprouts leaves,
you know that summer is near.
In the same way, when you see these things happening,
know that he is near, at the gates.”

I think we need to be watchful and aware of what’s going on around us. I think it’s wrong to be ***obsessed ***with guessing dates, times, events, people, etc. However, we need to be awake, like the virgins waiting for the bridegroom. As someone said earlier, we will each have our personal end time. That is most important, IMHO. However, looking at world events in light of the Scriptures – and even Church-approved apparitions – is helpful.

Just my .02.

God bless,
Dan

The faith is certainly not in a worse shape now than it was during the Arian heresy. Nowhere near.

Even the Reformation could give it a fair run for its money - not only being a widespread and very sudden defection from the Church by a huge proportion of its members, but a very violent one as well.

It is true that the Church has always had difficulties of one sort or another, but it seems that in the present day we not only have enemies outside the Church (which is par for the course), but an increasing number INSIDE the Church…

I don’t like end time speculation either. I grew up Baptist, and they taught that true believers wouldn’t go through the tribulation. Of course, back then I believed them. Since then I’ve had other thoughts. Jesus never said that we wouldn’t go through suffering or anything like that. Jesus also said that there will be signs that His coming is near.

There is wars, the most noticed ones are the ones in the middle east. “Wars and rumor of wars.”

In some countries Christians are being persecuted. Just like Jesus was. He said that the student is not above the teacher nor is the disicple above his Master. Jesus is our Lord and master. We are kidding ourselves in this regard…

Sorry, one of my soap box subjects.

All those things you posted are true BUT they have also been true since Jesus walked on this earth. We have been living in the “end times” since then.

I would speculate that every single generation thought they were living in the “last days”. Christians have been persecuted since the beginning of Christianity. There has been war and the threat of war since the Old Testament days. There has been sin and degradation since Adam and Eve.

No need to worry about any “end time” except your own.

I don’t like all this speculation either. I just finished reading an interesting book, “Apocalyses,” by Eugen Weber.

It was written back in the '90s, as all the craziness about Y2K was gearing up. It is a survey of end-of-the-world madness since the early days of the church. I could understand people in earlier times getting afraid and acting irrationally, but in these times when people are supposed to be better educated, weird stuff still happens. There’s cults and date-setting and all kinds of nonsense.

I think it was St Francis who said, when asked what he would do if he knew that the world would end tomorrow, he said he’d continue doing what he was doing. I’m for that. Use the time you have on earth to grow spiritually, love God and your neighbor.

Why do you think most problems that the Church has faced over the centuries have been dealt with by the calling of Church councils? Precisely because a lot of the Church’s enemies and dissenters have ALWAYS come from within, even if they didn’t (as they still don’t) usually remain there.

No point calling a Church council about truly external enemies - Muslims, for example. They simply don’t care about what we have to say, and were thus dealt with by the calling of Crusades and not Councils.

2115 "God can reveal the future to his prophets or to other saints. Still, a sound Christian attitude consists in putting oneself confidently into the hands of Providence for whatever concerns the future, and giving up all unhealthy curiosity about it. Improvidence, however, can constitute a lack of responsibility."
Catechism of the Catholic Church

I am annoyed quite a bit about it too, especially when people start posting about this being the New World Order or Luciferian world control or about fear of domestic government (relying sometimes on Protestant Fundementalist Talk Radio). Rational thinking sometimes gets thrown out the window. I think one subforum thread on economic justice as explained in the recent Papal Caritas in Veritate, which I was looking to post in having some interest in the matter, has basically changed into an argument over Protestant dispensationalist End Times theory and whether Satan controls the UN. (on my last reading, I could be wrong). If that is the main debate, how can one even venture to rationally argue over Caritas’ economic, social, and political statements? I’ll just skip on that one.

But we also have to be realistic I suppose in the sense that in this and the past century we have had Pontiffs who have approved Apparitions of the Virgin Mary in which seers (Fatima) have predicted general time frames and events for certain prophecies. Ergo, when HH JP2 spreads the message of Fatima (Great - A return to Christ and the Rosary), the fact, however, that we are dealing with “secrets” lends itself almost inherently to argumentation about End Times. On here there are threads dealing with the whole issue of the “true” contents of the 3rd Secret of Fatima.

Again, a Catholic is NOT obliged to believe in prophecies contained in private revelation, even those recognized authentic by the Church. But I am puzzled, why the need for “secrets” from the Blessed Virgin? This is off topic and I don’t expect any answer but post this as possibly one reason people find Catholic grounding to look into the future.

I just start getting annoyed when people start professing well this is how it all unfolds based upon my hours of reflection on it…

God Bless! Hope I have not offended.

Andrew

You know what though I have been reading these 2012 theoreis about the end of the world and I have to tell you I normally laugh at them, but that’s just me. You know what if this guy is right then you what I don’t really care, because my reward will be with God up in heaven and as the old addage goes earth is hell, So my advice is live life to the fullest and always have a good time, because you never know when your time comes,

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.