Am I the ONLY one to have never seen It's A Wonderful Life?

My dh told me this morning…[FONT=“Georgia”]this year, Sharon, you and I are watching It’s A Wonderful Life. I still can’t believe you’ve never seen that movie, sweetie. :o

Am I the only one? And is it really good?

Oh, and will I cry? Typically movies that move me to tears, get two thumbs up from me. :smiley: [/FONT]

No, I’ve never seen it either - and probably won’t, as long as my husband is alive. He refuses to watch any kind of Christmas specials.

Too bad we’re not closer…I’d invite you over. I don’t know why I’ve never seen it. I guess I’m too busy watching ELF over and over and over…with dd.

It would be funny if I come away thinking ELF is better. :blush:
PS–Why won’t your hubby watch Christmas carols? I don’t mean to pry.

Basically, because he is a curmudgeon. He wasn’t brought up with any of the sentimental stuff about Christmas, and he doesn’t get the point - he sees it as a waste of time. :shrug:

Aw. Well, my sister used to be like that. Since she divorced, she enjoys the holidays much more. Not sure if there is a connection, to that. lol

In some ways, I don’t like all the secularized movies around Christmas…because I think that all in all, we’ve become too commercial in America with it…but, at the same time, there is a magical element to Christmas…where anyone’s dreams seem like they can come true. I liken that to Jesus’ birth, as our Savior made and still makes, everything new. I wish that everyone viewed it that way–but, Christmas brings with it hope. And I wonder how people have converted to Christianity during this time of year…because it’s a deeply moving time. Especially Advent.

Does he have any traditions of his own?

Nope, me neither. I don’t recall it ever having been shown on free-to-air television here in Australia, though plenty of Christmassy movies and tv shows are :shrug:

I love the movie, I would rate it a couple of kleenex’s but not the entire box. Used to be that I could not get the dh to watch it when it came on TV, but a couple of years ago I bought the anniversary edition, and now it is in his list of must see christmas movies. Mind you the count went from 1 to 2.

Dialogue from the Christmas episode of Batman: The Animated Series (the 1990s/Bruce Timm one).

Robin (to Batman): "You’ve never seen It’s a Wonderful Life??"
Batman: “I could never get past the title.”

No, do you think it means somethin’?

I have never seen it.:smiley:

Yours too? Mine generally dislikes Christmas music, Christmas movies and specials, decorations beyond the tree and a few lights, etc. He grumbles when I want to leave the tree and Nativity scene up until Epiphany because he grew up in a Protestant church and those things just weren’t done. You took down all decorations by New Years. :rolleyes:

I’m slowly working on him. This year I think I’m going to drag him to downtown Detroit so we can go skating. The giant city Christmas tree is at the head of the outdoor rink. Very festive.

Topic: I’ve seen “It’s a Wonderful Life” too many times to count. I still love it. I’ve never seen “Titanic”. A lot of people think that’s weird. :shrug:

You should watch it. It is about a man who makes sacrifices his whole life for his family & those around him. It is about a man who in desperation thinks the world would be better off without him, but is shown by an unlikely Angel (who is trying to earn his wings), what life would be like if he weren’t in it. It truly shows how one person can impact so many others. It is a wonderful, pardon the pun;) , movie & you will need some Kleenex for sure. Please watch it with your family & let us know what you think!

I saw it & wish I didn’t. Yuck. Poohey. Don’t waste your time or $.:nope:

Hi WG, you will like it…it isn’t really a Christmas movie per se’ just that the first and last scenes take place at Christmas.

It really is a good film. I cry when I watch it. I won’t spoil it for you…but there is a scene in the middle of the film that makes me cry…but happy tears.

Go watch it…then we can all discuss it!:smiley:

Don’t worry, I’m not planning to.

Topic:

“Buffalo gals, won’t you come out tonight, come out tonight, come out tonight?” :smiley:

besides why watch Christmas specials when there is so much football going on. at least, that is the program in our house, and has been for 40 years.

I am a sucker for IAWL, waiting for kids to take a hint and give me the DVD

At our house, it’s hockey. :rolleyes:

It sounds really great. Thanks.

It is & you’re welcome:tiphat: !

“and dance by the light of the moon!” Love that! I like the old guy on the porch:“Why don’t you kiss her instead of talking her to death?” “Ah, youth is wasted on the wrong people!”

“Every time a bell rings, an angel gets his wings!” “Attaboy, Clarence.” :smiley:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.