Am I the only person who doesn't like St. Therese?

I have nothing against St. Therese, but I don’t see why so many people feel drawn to her, and have such devotion to her. I read A Story of a Soul a couple of years ago, and I didn’t feel any sense of kinship to her. Quite the contrary, St. Therese didn’t seem like a real person when I read her autobiography.

Like I said, I have nothing against her, or against any of the people who are devoted to her. I just don’t get it.

I thought i was the only one.

Pleased to meet you. :slight_smile:

I also am turned off by the whole “gimme something” prayers that are attributed to her.

I know how you feel, valient Lucy.

So many people seem to get all gushy-sentimental about the flowers, and that kind of thing just doesn’t appeal to me. Neither does the prayer “Little Flower in this hour show your power” … It reminds me of Samantha from the TV show “Bewitched”.

That said, I’ve learned a bit more in-depth about St. Therese, and now I like her better. Here’s why:

1. Did you know that she once dressed up in costume as St. Joan of Arc? Now that’s way cool! :knight2: :cool:

2. I also came across some of her writing which shows that St. Therese does indeed have a thoughtful intellect, which somehow seems to get overlooked at times in favor of all the roses.

So I actually did end up praying to St. Therese … “Maybe we can be friends, but …
Please, no roses!” :slight_smile:

~~ the phoenix

Add me to the list…there are so many saints, we’re bound to not feel “kinship” to a good number of them. St. Therese is just one of the more visible ones.

But, it’s not that I “don’t like” her–I just don’t have any connection with her spirituality or feel a natural camaraderie with her.

Glad

I think she’s the cat’s meow, because her spirituality (the courage, the self-denial, etc.) really appeals to me. The fact that I got roses yesterday as I finished praying the novena in her honor has nothing to do with it. My daughter, however, can’t stand her, and has nicknamed her “The Little Snot.” Incidentally, that’s how I feel about St. Faustina.

Betsy

Perhaps, you should have not read the book when it was not meant for you to read at that time. You probably know she is the Doctor of the Church; someday, you will find out her book is your treasure :slight_smile:

I did read the book 2 years ago and it left me no good lesson. Fortunately, I knew in my heart she is special for she is a Saint; I picked up the book again last month, and I have learned a lot from her.

From the advices of the author, Fr. Jean-Pierre de Caussade, “Abandonment to Divine Providence” , I pray before I start to decide to read any book.

I can see where the roses thing might not appeal to some people since it is sentimental—but her spirituality is very down-to-earth. Some people might need the reassurance of sentimental devotion, though, and a visible sign (an actual rose)of God’s reassurance. I don’t knock that----I need it sometimes. But hopefully the rose we ultimately pray for and receive " from her heavenly garden" is the rose of accepting absolutely *no sign * at all.

Ok - add me the this list. I have read the book as well and been to talks about her life and her spirituality, and I just came away thinking of her as being very whiny. Perhaps it was her age, she was very young, but I was very surprised to feel that way knowing that so many people hold such strong devotion to her.

I would not say that I “don’t like her” - just that she does not appeal to me either.

Well - I suppose there are saints for us all - just as unique and individual as we are, they are as well. :shrug:

~Liza

It’s okay. She’s a little saint and not everyone can feel a spiritual connection - so to speak - with the little saints. You may feel a connection to the bigger saints, like Saint Paul or Saint Augustine or something. :slight_smile:

Yeah, I’m not particularly drawn to St. Therese, either. There’s so many saints, however, that we’re bound to find one we jive with. :thumbsup:

One reason why people love St. Therese is because she was so in tune with love. Here’s a quote of hers:

“Charity gave me the key to my vocation. I understood that the Church being a body composed of different members, the most essential, the most noble of all the organs would not be wanting to her; I understood that the Church has a heart and that this heart is burning with love; that it is love alone which makes the members work, that if love were to die away apostles would no longer preach the Gospel, martyrs would refuse to shed their blood. I understood that love comprises all vocations, that love is everything, that it embraces all times and all places because it is eternal!”

These are words I needed to hear today. I was about to post a “What if you don’t get roses?” thread. We’ve had a difficult situation with the sale of our house (been on the market for over a year–lots of lookers, but not even ONE offer! We’ve reduced the price, put in new carpet, painted…still nothing!). I have spent a lot of time in front of the Blessed Sacrament. I have said various novenas. I recently came across the “24 Glory Be Novena for St. Therese” and decided to give it a try because I know that confidence and trust in God’s abundant love was her thing…and I think I need that right now! But, here I am on her feast day…day 8 of the novena for me and I was wondering “What if I don’t get a rose?” Does this mean we are destined to be stuck with our house forever??

So…your words fyrefly, were just the ticket. Thank you.

Kathy

It’s not the saint herself who I don’t like - I can especially relate to her wanting to be a missionary, being frustrated at her inability to achieve this ambition, and coming instead to the realisation that even the little everyday things can lead us to sanctity.

I do remember once looking through a bunch of holy cards, and seeing some of her with a prayer (not the one quoted above, but nonetheless one asking for a rose) - and it had a little plastic window with a piece of dried-up rose petal in it. If that’s not cheating I don’t know what is :smiley: :rolleyes:

I’ve prayed novenas to her - no roses that I’m aware of, and sometimes (as God does in His wisdom when our prayers aren’t in accord with His will) the answer was no, but I believe they were heard and God’s will was done nonetheless.

I have a great devotion to Therese and I have never received roses…and it really does not matter to me at all. I have read almost everything she wrote. Her letters are really good, especially those to the priests and seminarians in the missions. That is why she is patroness of missionaries.

Yes she could be a bit sacharine, but also she went through some great sufferings and that is one of the greatest things she can teach us, how to deal with suffering. Also, if you read older editions of her autobiography, things were left out. New revisions include things that her sister decided were not showing her in a perfect light. For example, she spoke about thinking about ending her life since she could not deal with the pain. This makes her more real, and the fact that she got over it offers hope and encouragement to people suffering with such thoughts.

He poetry is beautiful and prayerful. Yes, she was a simple nun, but she shows us that there is holiness in simplicity, in living the little way.

Don’t get me started on Faustina :stuck_out_tongue:

There is a very good retreat center/convent near my home. My family is close to them. Anyway, my mother told the very holy, very old priest that I was not big on Faustina. He told her that I was a brillian, wise man!:smiley:

As others have said, there are enough saints that we can all pick our all-start team and be ready for anything.

Marie-Francoise-Therese Martin was human like any of us who peruse Catholic Answers. I just watched the film Therse the other day. It was enjoyable.

This girl had ups and downs typical of humans.

We each have the potential to be saints. Those people that have become saints desired that holiness. Do you realize that she went all the way to Pope Leo XIII asking, “Most Holy Father, I have a great favor to ask you. Holy Father, in honor of your jubilee, permit me to enter Carmel at the age of fifteen.” The girl had guts and desire.

With each new saint I discover I thank God for the example they set for me. The example of St. Therese is worthy.

:thumbsup: :smiley:

You don’t have to feel a personal connection to every saint. Saints have personalities like the rest of us. What makes St. Therese of Liseux so important for the Catholic Church is her theology. It is impeccable. Her writings can be read in two ways, as biographical or as theological.

As biographical they don’t always impress the reader. But the reader who is seriously interested in Mystical Theology will find that she exposes and explains some very profound theological truths that the Church can grab on to and pass on to future generations.

Her greatest contribution to the area of Mystical Theology was her theology on the cloister and the missions. She presents something that had never before been thought of by theologians.

Most people do not think of cloistered nuns as being missionaries. In fact, the missionary vocation has always been part of active orders, not monastic orders. Therese shows that there is a seamless connection between the cloister and the missionary vocation of the Church. She demonstrates, using logic and theology, that without the cloister the Church’s missionary vocation would not be fulfilled, much less successful.

In her writings she expounds on the true meaning of contemplation and mission and how the two are inseparable in the mind of Christ. It is this profound wisdom that has earned her a place among the giants of the Church such as Augustine, Aquinas, Bonaventure, Bellarmine, Teresa of Avila, John of the Cross, Catherine of Siena and other Doctors.

She is not a little saint. In the mind of the Church, especially the Congregation on the Faith, she is a theological power to be reckoned with.

But that does not mean that we have to be buddies with her. That’s not what her work or life was about, nor did she want that. She wanted to explain a mystery to be contemplated by the Church, her vocation to contemplation and to evangelization and the Church found that she did an outstanding job of it. That’s why she was named a Doctor or Teacher of the Church. That’s what the term Doctor means in Latin, a Teacher with a capital T.

Fraternally,

JR :slight_smile:

I didn’t used to like St. Therese at all. I thought she was icky poo sweet. But when I began to read more about her and read some of her writings, I found she was not the rarified creature I thought she was and I began to have respect for her. She was not just the Little Flower, she was more like the Little Flower with the Steel Core.

Me - I can’t warm up to Padre Pio at all. I find him terribly off putting. I also don’t care for St. Louis de Montfort’s spirituality.

However, I love St. Teresa of Avila, St. Thomas More, and Bl Pier Giorgio Frassati. All three of them had great senses of humor and warm and kind personalities.

:eek: :frowning:

I love St. Faustina. I guess it’s true though what other posters have said – there are saints of all personalities for all of us! :slight_smile:

:thumbsup: I like this! I want to be beautiful and sweet on the outside with a solid, strong inside too!

I haven’t read Story of a Soul though I’ve been thinking about it. I’m just not sure if I really have the time and energy to devote to it right now. I have prayed to her before though and never received roses, and I’m praying a novena right now. I would love to receive a rose, but even if I don’t, it’ll be OK.

I feel drawn to her in some ways, though I feel drawn to many saints and sometimes think I have too many that I call upon. I know it’s OK to be interested in lots of them, but sometimes I think I should just pick one or two, instead of the 6 or so that I’m drawn to (not counting Mary of course!). :o

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.