Am I understanding the Catholic Faith?

Everyone is questioning my understanding… I am going to tell you what I understand the Church’s beliefs to be about… If I am wrong please correct me…

1. Jesus founded the Catholic Church with the apostles. Peter was the first Pope… There was no other Christian Church before…Catholics put the bible to together… Luther broke of created Protestanism… took out 5-7 books(Book of Wisdom, Sirach, Maccabees 1&2, Judith…etch). So because the Church is the oldest Church and was not found by “man” it is the truest.

2. No women are priest because the Apostles were men. Therefore nothing can change, because it is all about the gender of the Apostles and Jesus(of course). There is no birth control because contraception is against the natural purpose of intercourse… Everything is about the unborn(don’t prevent them and no abortion). Use NFP to monitor ovulation… so a pregnancy can be avoided. If a pregnancy occurs because of this method…Catholic outlook is oh well, you are married and the purpose of a marriage is to create children…

3. Mary is venerated as the Saints of all Saints. She is not worshipped. Praying to and with Saints is not worshipping them because they act as the agents of God.

4. In order for a sin to be forgiven. A person in the Catholic Church has to have a contrite heart(be sorry for sins), Go to confession, and then be allowed to eat bread and drink wine(which the bread and wine is Jesus and therefore a person is eating Jesus), so that their soul can be nourished. The bread and wine become Jesus after the priest states magic words(know to Catholics as transbutation). Priest and deacons are mentioned in the New Testament so their power and Authority are justified to do all these things.

5. There are sacraments to the faith. Baptism, Holy Communion, Confirmation, Anointing of the Sick, Matrimony, Holy Orders, and Last Rites(So far from what I read).

6. The sinces are grave, venial, and mortal(mortal sins need to be confessed, because they are so serious a priest is needed to help the confessing person be forgived)

7. There are prayers for every occasion. Eating, Sleeping, and everything else.

8. Mass is for worshipping God(who cares if it is boring we are there for HIM) So the focus on fellowship isn’t there because of this(in some cases)

9. In addition to the bible. Cannon laws are declared by the Pope(who is the infallible representative of Jesus). He is human and has weakness, but he is never wrong about the Catholic Law. If any of these laws are not followed, then a Catholic must confess it, because it is a sin(In addition to what is in the bible).

Am I getting it? or are there any other things that I am missing?

Everyone is questioning my understanding… I am going to tell you what I understand the Church’s beliefs to be about… If I am wrong please correct me…

1. Jesus founded the Catholic Church with the apostles. Peter was the first Pope… There was no other Christian Church before…Catholics put the bible to together… Luther broke of created Protestanism… took out 5-7 books(Book of Wisdom, Sirach, Maccabees 1&2, Judith…etch). So because the Church is the oldest Church and was not found by “man” it is the truest.

2. No women are priest because the Apostles were men. Therefore nothing can change, because it is all about the gender of the Apostles and Jesus(of course). There is no birth control because contraception is against the natural purpose of intercourse… Everything is about the unborn(don’t prevent them and no abortion). Use NFP to monitor ovulation… so a pregnancy can be avoided. If a pregnancy occurs because of this method…Catholic outlook is oh well, you are married and the purpose of a marriage is to create children…

3. Mary is venerated as the Saints of all Saints. She is not worshipped. Praying to and with Saints is not worshipping them because they act as the agents of God.

4. In order for a sin to be forgiven. A person in the Catholic Church has to have a contrite heart(be sorry for sins), Go to confession, and then be allowed to eat bread and drink wine(which the bread and wine is Jesus and therefore a person is eating Jesus), so that their soul can be nourished. The bread and wine become Jesus after the priest states magic words(know to Catholics as transbutation). Priest and deacons are mentioned in the New Testament so their power and Authority are justified to do all these things.

5. There are sacraments to the faith. Baptism, Holy Communion, Confirmation, Anointing of the Sick, Matrimony, Holy Orders, and Last Rites(So far from what I read).

6. The sinces are grave, venial, and mortal(mortal sins need to be confessed, because they are so serious a priest is needed to help the confessing person be forgived)

7. There are prayers for every occasion. Eating, Sleeping, and everything else.

8. Mass is for worshipping God(who cares if it is boring we are there for HIM) So the focus on fellowship isn’t there because of this(in some cases)

9. In addition to the bible. Cannon laws are declared by the Pope(who is the infallible representative of Jesus). He is human and has weakness, but he is never wrong about the Catholic Law. If any of these laws are not followed, then a Catholic must confess it, because it is a sin(In addition to what is in the bible).

Am I getting it? or are there any other things that I am missing?

Carjack1,

You are stating some loose facts in which some are out of context and some things that are common misunderstandings

Are you getting it? Not really but don’t get discouraged. Please don’t take this as condescending but an observation from someone wo wants you to understand how incredible out Catholic faith is and that you can enjoy it to its fullest some day.

I’m not going to go line for line on the questions you have. These things are best discussed in person. I would suggest talking one to one with your RCIA instructor or a priest if you can. Also, many of these questions are answered in the AAA forum on CA. Just type in a keyword in the search field. Talking with someone, though is the best way to work out your issues.

Understanding all the tenents of the faith is not easy nor does it happen overnight or even by the time you are done with your classes. I may know how to read a book but that doesn’t mean I have the understanding to write one. I know I am Catholic and that it is the one true faith, but I don’t know all the theology or have all the answers. Not even the Pope knows everything.

I have always been Catholic and come from a very devout family but much of my learning and understanding comes from my own reading, prayer, and help from the Holy Spirit. Its a journey that takes a lifetime, one that I am really excited about. Remember the ultimate goal of that journey is heaven and being in the presence of God.

So take my advice for what it’s worth (about 3 cents) and pray that the Holy Spirit will guide you to the right answers. I will be praying for you as well. If you would like to talk one on one, feel free to PM me.

Most of what you have written is at least partially correct, but there appear to be some misconceptions.

With regard to No. 9 (I will leave the rest to others), there is a distiction between Catholic faith and catholic discipline. The faith was given by Jesus to the apostles. The church has taught and practiced this faith since the beginning of the Church. However, the faith that Jesus gave us does not cover ever aspect of church life and practice. In other words, Jesus left somethings up to the church to determine what is the most prudent course of action in light of the faith Jesus conveyed to us. For example, that the only married men can receive holy orders (i.e. be ordained a priests) is an article of faith that the church does not have the power to change. That married men can be ordained a deacon, but not a priest, is a matter of discipline that CAN change based on what the church thinks is the most prudent course of action.

The Catholic Church teaches that when the Pope definitively defines a article of faith, the holy spirit will prevent him from teach an error. That is papal infallibilty. It is very limited in scope and is used seldomly. I think the last time was in the 1950s.

As head of the church (suceeding the role of St. Peter), the Pope is in charge of making the rules of the church to follow. This is to both make sure the Church is acting consistent with the faith first given to the apostles and is also acting prudently in those situations that the faith of the church doesn’t really address.

So while when you say the Pope can never be wrong about catholic law, in a sense that is correct, but it is also in correct in another sense. The Pope has the power to legislate for the church. What the Pope says is the canon law, is the canon law, so in that sense he can’t be wrong.But that does not mean that the canon law is always the most prudent or wise.

As to a violation of canon law being a sin, I think that is a more complicated question. In some cases, canon law relfects the faith of the church (and God has revealed in the Bible). So in that case, breaking the canon law would not only be disobedient to church, it would also be against faith of the church (and morals set down in the bible).

In other instances, its merely a function of being obedient to the church because the particular section of canon law is merely prudential. As catholics, we owe some level of obedience even in prudential matters to the church authorities. (i.e. when to fast in lent or how long before receiving communion to fast). This is based on the authorthity Jesus gave the apostles, including Peter.

In matters of faith, you have to believe what the church teaches is the truth. In matters of discipline, obedience is enough (i.e. you can think fasting on fridays is not the best practice, provided you follow what the church says is the rule)

Thanks for the clarification

You’re not getting it, is there a particular issue you would like to discuss?

No Particular issue per se. Did I say something in the post that was incorrect in which I lacked understanding?

It is the one to which Christ made His promises, which He cannot break. Christ made no promises to Martin Luther nor to any other founders of any other churches - only to St. Peter and the Apostles - that is to say, the Catholic Church.

1. No women are priest because the Apostles were men. Therefore nothing can change, because it is all about the gender of the Apostles and Jesus(of course).

The priest is a kind of living “icon” of Christ. That’s why he has to be male. You would not make an icon of a female figure to represent Christ, and for the exact same reason, you would not have a woman to be “in persona Christi” in the Catholic priesthood.

There is no birth control because contraception is against the natural purpose of intercourse… Everything is about the unborn(don’t prevent them and no abortion). Use NFP to monitor ovulation… so a pregnancy can be avoided. If a pregnancy occurs because of this method…Catholic outlook is oh well, you are married and the purpose of a marriage is to create children.

God cannot create children (human beings) by accident. Every human being ever created was created on purpose by God, because God loves each and every one of us. Therefore, there cannot be such a thing as an “accidental pregnancy.” Unexpected, perhaps, but never “accidental.” God creates us on purpose.

Am I getting it?

Not really, no.

Why?

yes, I’ll mark some of the misunderstandings in red

hope that helps

Can you tell me why this is incorrect?

Did you know Martin Luther was a catholic whose intent was to protect Christ’s Church?

I’ve read the history of Martin Luther(so yes). How am I misunderstanding the things that were highlighted in red?

I see. But the belief that Christ founded the Church is based on the reasons stated. Or is that incorrect?

The things you stated were outcomes of Christ founding the Church.

Christ didn’t found the Church because St. Peter was the first Pope - rather, St. Peter became the first Pope after Christ founded the Church. Christ set the Apostles up in authority over it, once it had begun to exist.

The Church didn’t come into existence because of the authority of the Apostles - the Apostles got authority over the already-existing Church from Christ, who had already established the Church by that time.

Martin Luther and the rest of them started up new churches, many centuries later, that were completely separated from the one that Christ founded.

OK. I see. This why Catholics believe what they do.

The red areas indicate a bigger problem exists, what is the bigger problem? What is “possibly not wanting to finish my sacraments”? What is it you wish to achieve?

I believe that no women priests is dogma and cannot be changed but celibacy/marriage is a doctrine/discipline that could be changed.

I am confused by the question. Are the things highlighted in red, not part of the beliefs of the church? What problem is existing? I wish to achieve understanding. I was baptized Catholic but am not sure I want to join, so I am considering RCIA or not finishing the rest of the Sacraments. I don’t want to join a religion unless I understand what they believe.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.