Am I wrong to not want to pray the Hail Mary?

Hi,

I’ve been a Christian for 3 years and recently met some Evangelicals. While I strongly disagree with their extremely ruthless doctrine and their refusal to admit the body and blood of Christ are truly present in the Eucharist, I couldn’t agree more when they say we tend to focus too much on Mary and Saints rather than Jesus himself.
I appreciate Mary’s unique role and she holds a special place in the kingdom of God, however I need Jesus so much that I don’t feel comfortable when I pray the Hail Mary.
I feel it draws me away from Jesus when I need him the most.
I’ve therefore stopped praying the Rosary and opted to focus much more on the Bible while praying the Our Father instead.
I’ve been feeling much more at ease since but I know most of us don’t do that.
I wanted to know if any other of you were in my situation.
God bless you
Steph

These links should be helpful for explaining prayer to Mary and the saints. If you have any further questions or concerns that are not answered by these links, please contact Catholic Answers directly.

Recommended Reading:
Going too far with Mary?

Why Mary?
May Christians pray only to God alone?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.