Amazing and astonishing why does the CC not approve!

I am reading a book [least one of 5-volumes] by Maria Valtorta called ‘Poem of The Man God’.

I understand the author is not approved by the CC. The book I am reading, particularly about the Passion is very moving. It has really challenged me and my attitude to sin. So why is this book and the author not approved by the CC?

Has anyone any ideas?

It is on the Index of forbidden books, and therefore should not be read by Catholics.

Here is on of several good articles on why.

Thank you for that. It was given to me by our Sacristan, a holy man and Benedictine Oblate. He told me it was treated with scorn and could not understand the PP’s attitude towards it. Your explanation clarifies the issue.

Thank you for taking the trouble to reply.

1 ke thank you for the explanation.

My copy was given to me by our Sacristan, a holy man and Benedictine Oblate. He strongly advises others to read it and buy the full set. I will now be able to pass on an explanation why he has met with such hostility.

He told me he could not understand the PP’s attitude towards it. Your explanation clarifies the issue.

Thank you for taking the trouble to reply.

It is on the Index of forbidden books, and therefore should not be read by Catholics.

1ke

You don’t by any chance of a link to this index of forbidden books do you? I am very much interested in this.

Thanks

Sixtus, here is a link to EWTN and why the CC ‘does not approve’. . .ewtn.com/expert/answers/poem_of_the_man.htm

Perhaps it will help. What it comes down to is obedience. Does one go with how ‘moved’ one feels when reading the words of a ‘person’, or does one submit to the reasons and the judgment of the Church?

And this, also from EWTN, is a review by Fr. Mitch Pakwa on the poem:

ewtn.com/library/SCRIPTUR/VALTORTA.TXT

I agree with Fr. Pakwa: For every hour you read the poem, if read it you ‘must’, spend three hours with Scripture. Scripture is the known word of God, the poem is simply the ‘words’ of a fallible being.

God-breathed ‘word’ or word of ‘man’–I know which I would choose. :slight_smile:

1 The Index has been abolished. It wasn’t infallible, even when it existed, and some books were placed on it whie they were under consideration.

#2 You are going to be shot down in flames, be prepared, people get very passionate about this work.

#3 It does has an Imprimatur, but people rubbish the bishop who gave it.

#4 Because of all these objections I have ummhed and arrhed over it for some time, but, in the end, I have to acknowledge that the Sermon on the Mount discourse changed the way I saw the Gospel version. Like you, Sixtus, it changed me.

I look on it as I do Medjugorje. Some people condemn the visionaries, some endorse them. I will reserve judgment and consider the fruit that comes from them.

I

I have only read some the Poem on-line, but I thought it was Great
people can read some of it for free right here go towards the bottom of the page it starts with ,The Mystery of the Holy Trinity

bardstown.com/~brchrys/

Is it a sin for a Catholic to read something from this list?

I see Mitch Pacwa has read it…

Any visions, apparitions, revelations and messages which divide the faithful are almost certainly from satan and not from God!

Is it your hope to be able to discredit Fr. Pacwa by pointing out that he has “sinned” by disobeying the Church and reading a “forbidden” book?

Atemi, you are too transparent.:tsktsk:

Given the fact that many evangelicals don’t drink, smoke, dance, or gamble, I would have thought that the existence of a list of books deemed harmful to one’s faith and morals would have great appeal to those who are so straight-laced and maintain their own list of “forbidden” activities.

Be at peace. Publication of the list ceased in 1966. Time to move on.

Thank you to all who contributed. You have provided me with a wealth of information.

Particular thanks to Michael Francis who came to my aid when I lost the link to this particular thread.

Happy Easter:)

St John Paul pray for us

EVERY apparition, revelation and message approved by the Church initially caused division, at times among the faithful too! - and a greater or lesser level of disbelief to the point of persecution of the visionary or visionaries - just read about the events of Lourdes or Fatima, or the life of St Bernadette, St Faustina or St Margaret Mary …

I had understood that the book was placed on the list because it contained heresies and errors which could lead the faithful away from the Truth. She (Maria Valtorta) said that she was only God’s secretary and that she wrote what He told her to write. If the book does indeed contain errors (which I think has been proven to be the case), then it could not have been dictated by God and thus is a ‘false revelation’. People reading it could believe that it was indeed ‘dictated by God’ and could then believe the errors she propounds are actually true.

There are so many good spiritual books out there. Why waste your time on books that are problematical, that instead of building up your faith and enriching your relationship with God, could confuse and deceive?

I, personally, would like for the Church to reinstate this list. Perhaps if they rename it from ‘Forbidden’ to “Not Recommended”. It is very useful tool for the faithful who expect the Church to provide guidance on subjects such as this. Most of us are not theologians and it seems these days that everyone and his brother is “receiving messages from God”. How do we discern whether they are true or not? Should we rely only on our own experience and knowledge? Why not fall back on the expertise of the Church in these matters?

Fr. Pacwa wrote this about the Poem of the Man-God:
forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=143690#post2070610

Infallibility is irrelevant.

Sorry, I do not understand.

Are you saying the pronouncements from His Holiness are irrelevant? Have I lost the thread [no pun intended]!

Try hoping over to this Forum for more information, I have some postings on pages 4&5:

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=145226&page=5

The Poem of the Man-God is in actuality fully Church-approved. For complete details, check out this free research document, which can be downloaded here:

Poem of the Man-God Research Document (PDF)

The trailer for it is here:

Poem of the Man-God Research Document Trailer

I am a huge Valtorta fan and wrote this e-book about Maria Valtorta and the Poem of the Man-God which www.mariavaltortawebring.com has hosted on their home page for download and Douay-Rheims Bible Online (which has 70,000 visitors a year) has also hosted on their website.

This e-book is a comprehensive and well-researched guide to everything a Catholic needs to know about Maria Valtorta’s writing: its importance, its history, its ecclesiastical status, how it compares to other revelations, the 14 proofs of its divine origin, and its critics and defenses.

This free e-book is the result of hundreds of hours of research over 6 months, utilizing a tremendous number of Internet and printed sources. To give you a taste of its level of depth and scholarship: it has 902 references/endnotes.

Some chapters in this e-book:

“The Position of the Popes, the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith (the Holy Office), and the Vatican Newspaper on the Poem of the Man-God”

“Timeline of Major Events of the Poem of the Man-God’s Ecclesiastical Approval”

Some things you may have not been aware of:

Saint Padre Pio and at least two spiritual children of his approve the Poem of the Man-God. In 1967 (a year before Padre Pio’s death), a long-time spiritual daughter of his, Mrs. Elisa Lucchi, asked him in Confession: “Father, I have heard mention of Maria Valtorta’s books. Do you advise me to read them?” Saint Padre Pio responded: “I don’t advise you to – I order you to!” There is also documented eyewitness accounts by several trustworthy sources that Saint Padre Pio approved and encouraged the reading of Maria Valtorta’s works, and that he has had mystical experiences with Maria Valtorta during the time when they were both alive. All of this is documented and described in the e-book.

Blessed Gabriel Allegra, O.F.M. was beatified by Pope Benedict XVI on September 29, 2012 and Blessed Gabriel Allegra was an outspoken and avid long-time supporter of Maria Valtorta and spent the latter years of his life studying, promoting, and defending the Poem of the Man-God (Maria Valtorta’s major work). You can read his testimony online here:

Blessed Gabriel Allegra’s Critiques, Notes, and Letters on Maria Valtorta’s The Poem of the Man-God

Notable actions of the Popes regarding the Poem of the Man-God include:

A high-ranking prelate personally handed Pope Pius XII a 12-volume typewritten copy of the Poem of the Man-God in 1947. After these volumes were evaluated by the Pope for a year, he granted a special audience with the three Servites of Mary in charge of this work. At this audience, as Bishop of Rome and the Vicar of Christ, Pope Pius XII gave the Poem of the Man-God an official imprimatur and commanded them to publish it “just as it is”. Cardinal Edouard Gagnon, writing to the Maria Valtorta Research Center from the Vatican on October 31, 1987, referred to Pope Pius XII’s action as: “The kind of official imprimatur granted before witnesses by the Holy Father in 1948, an Official Imprimatur of the Supreme Authority of the Church”

Pope Paul VI showed obvious signs of favor towards the Poem by sending a letter of congratulations and blessing to world-renowned Mariologist, Fr. Gabriel Roschini, for his book The Virgin Mary in the Writings of Maria Valtorta. Furthermore, Archbishop Pasquale Macchi, Private Secretary of Pope Paul VI, said to Fr. Corrado M. Berti, O.S.M., in an hour long interview in 1963: “When His Holiness (Paul VI) was Archbishop of Milan, he read one of the books of The Poem of the Man-God. He told me how he appreciated it, and had me send the complete work to the library of the diocesan seminary.”

Pope John Paul II approved the decree of a miracle and the beatification of a world-renowned theologian who was an outspoken and avid long-time supporter of Maria Valtorta and who spent the latter years of his life studying, promoting, and defending the Poem of the Man-God: Blessed Gabriel M. Allegra, O.F.M. Furthermore, according to Cardinal Stanislaw Dziwisz, the secretary of Pope John Paul II, the Pope was a reader of Maria Valtorta. The cardinal testifies to having often seen one of the volumes of The Gospel as Revealed to Me [a.k.a. *The Poem of the Man-God] on the Pope’s bedside table.

Only the first edition was put on the Index of Forbidden Books the same day as St. Faustina’s writings were. Fr. Marco Giraudo, O.P., Commissioner of the Holy Office, later approved the publication of the 2nd edition of the Poem of the Man-God in 1961, stating to Fr. Berti: “We have no objection to your publishing this 2nd edition. We will see how the work is welcomed.”

Believe it or not, her revelations have been proven by multiple areas of science to be 99.6% historically accurate as is shown in the e-book.

I say from my heart: after the Holy Bible and the most sacred perennial books of the Catholic Faith (the Summa Theologica, etc.), there is perhaps no greater book that exists in the world today than the Poem of the Man-God, and I think it is truly impossible for any person of good will to not only highly benefit from reading it; but I would go so far as to say that any person of good will who reads it will almost certainly have his life changed profoundly in some way.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.