Ambrosian Rite

Does one become a member of the Ambrosian Rite? Or is membership only limited to priests or those who uses the Rites (eg., Liturgy of the Hours)?

If so, does membership lapse once you no longer celebrate its liturgies? What if you celebrate its rites intermittently, with use of Roman Rite at other times?

You can't be a "member" of a Rite. You are a member of a Church, and in another sense, of a diocese.

Milanese Catholics who are members of the Archdiocese of Milan are Latin Catholics, members of the Latin Church, just the same as all other Western Catholics.

If you live in Milan it may be the case that your parish uses the Ambrosian Rite, but some also use the Roman.

The lack of use of the Ambrosian Rite does not mean that you are no longer a member of the Ambrosian Rite because, like I said, you can't be a "member" of a Rite.

Afaik, the only priests who can celebrate the Ambrosian Rite are priests of the Archdiocese of Milan.

I think they do have their own Breviary, but I am 99% sure that the only people who can use it to fulfill an obligation to pray the divine office are members of the Archdiocese of Milan. This includes, I'm pretty sure, people who are living in a different place for studies or whatever. I think I have heard of a Milanese priest who studies at CUA who celebrates the Ambrosian Rite right here in the USA.

However, if you happen to run across an Ambrosian Breviary, you can use it for your own private devotion all you want.

Thanks, YoungTradCath, I have seen Paul VI being described as a member of the Ambrosian Rite as he was formely Archbishop of Milan.

[quote="jimkhong, post:1, topic:348158"]
Does one become a member of the Ambrosian Rite? Or is membership only limited to priests or those who uses the Rites (eg., Liturgy of the Hours)?

If so, does membership lapse once you no longer celebrate its liturgies? What if you celebrate its rites intermittently, with use of Roman Rite at other times?

[/quote]

The Ambrosian rite is particular to the dioscesi of Milan and some surrounding parrishes.

In Italy there are 3 distinct rites that developed since the beginning of the Catholic Church.

The Roman rite developed as the name implies in Rome.

The Ambrosian rite developed in the city of Milan where St. Ambrose was Bishop.

The Aquileiese rite also called Rito Patriarchino developed in the city of Aquileia, which many people don't know was the 2nd city in importance after Rome in the Italian peninsula.
This rite is still used in the region of Italy called Fiuli-Venezia-Giulia.

The responsable Bishop for this rite is the Bishop of Udine since Aquileia although much older declined considerably after the fall of the Roman empire. Although it still is subject of peregrinations.

--

[quote="JerryZ, post:4, topic:348158"]
This rite is still used in the region of Italy called Fiuli-Venezia-Giulia.

[/quote]

I am surprised to hear this. Can you provide a reference?

[quote="Digitonomy, post:5, topic:348158"]
I am surprised to hear this. Can you provide a reference?

[/quote]

Unfortunately I can only link a site that is not even in Italian but in "Furlan" a specific dialect of the region of Friuli-Venezia-Giulia.

http://www.glesiefurlane.org

Interestingly latest news from that site have this:
DOMENIE 15 DI DICEMBAR DAL 2013 (The date should be no problem yes? :D)
tal Domo di Vençon a 3 dopo di misdì (At the Duomo of Venzone, 3pm)
TE TRADIZION PATRIARCJINE UNE PROPUESTE PAL GNÛF CJANT LITUGJIC FURLAN (The Patriarchine tradition, a proposal for new liturgic himns in Furlan)
presentazion dal CD “Cjantis di Glesie dal popul furlan” cun esemplificazions dal coro “Rosas di Mont” di Guart e celebrazion dal Missus.
(Presentation of the CD, "Chants in the church of the furlan people" with examples from the choir "Mount Roses" of Guart and celebration of the mass)

As you see the interest in not loosing this tradition is still there.

There is a pdf document dated Sep 18th 1990, fortunately in Italian where the then Archbishop of Udine was active in the process of reintroducing the Aquileian rite to the local church
http://glesiefurlane.org/pdf/ripristino_rito_90.pdf

L'Arcivescovo, condividendo il principio della intercambiabilità, autorizza il ripristino
dei testi, pericopi bibliche, collette, canti interlezionari e delle settantacinque sequenze,
nel rispetto del Concilio, e raccomanda di privilegiare le peculiarità come il Canone
primo e il Credo di Rufino.

In the text basically the Archbishop authorized the reintegration of the rite to the local church.

Hope this helps.

--

Unfortunately most of the things that made the Ambrosian rite distinctive from the Roman rite were abrogated, when after Vatican II the rite was "Novus Ordo-ized" (to use a term that some posters on the Eastern Catholicism forum use to describe what has happened to the Maronite Catholic church). So you could probably go to a church in Milan and not even know what rite the liturgy is in (unless you're a total liturgy dork, like yours truly :p).

Some cool things about the Ambrosian rite pre-V2: it didn't undergo any of the reforms promulgated by Pope St. Gregory the Great in the 6th century and after, so it has a handful of traditions that still exist in the East, such as a six week Advent, and the Pater Noster being prayed when the celebrant communicates rather than after the Consecration.

[quote="JerryZ, post:6, topic:348158"]
Unfortunately I can only link a site that is not even in Italian but in "Furlan" a specific dialect of the region of Friuli-Venezia-Giulia.

http://www.glesiefurlane.org

Interestingly latest news from that site have this:
DOMENIE 15 DI DICEMBAR DAL 2013 (The date should be no problem yes? :D)
tal Domo di Vençon a 3 dopo di misdì (At the Duomo of Venzone, 3pm)
TE TRADIZION PATRIARCJINE UNE PROPUESTE PAL GNÛF CJANT LITUGJIC FURLAN (The Patriarchine tradition, a proposal for new liturgic himns in Furlan)
presentazion dal CD “Cjantis di Glesie dal popul furlan” cun esemplificazions dal coro “Rosas di Mont” di Guart e celebrazion dal Missus.
(Presentation of the CD, "Chants in the church of the furlan people" with examples from the choir "Mount Roses" of Guart and celebration of the mass)

As you see the interest in not loosing this tradition is still there.

There is a pdf document dated Sep 18th 1990, fortunately in Italian where the then Archbishop of Udine was active in the process of reintroducing the Aquileian rite to the local church
http://glesiefurlane.org/pdf/ripristino_rito_90.pdf

In the text basically the Archbishop authorized the reintegration of the rite to the local church.

Hope this helps.

--

[/quote]

The rite was juridically suppressed during the Synod of Udine in 1596 even if the suppression did not follow the Council of Trent suggestion to maintain rites that were older than 200 years. I am not sure that a Bishop can just restart it but I am not a canon lawyer.

[quote="Cristiano, post:8, topic:348158"]
The rite was juridically suppressed during the Synod of Udine in 1596 even if the suppression did not follow the Council of Trent suggestion to maintain rites that were older than 200 years. I am not sure that a Bishop can just restart it but I am not a canon lawyer.

[/quote]

Aquileia had a higher position than Milan, it was a Patriarcate. Apparently the Archibishop of Udine had the authority to reinstate the rite and he did.
Fortunately there was plenty of documentation regarding the rite complete with hims and chants.

--

[quote="EphelDuath, post:7, topic:348158"]
Unfortunately most of the things that made the Ambrosian rite distinctive from the Roman rite were abrogated, when after Vatican II the rite was "Novus Ordo-ized" (to use a term that some posters on the Eastern Catholicism forum use to describe what has happened to the Maronite Catholic church). So you could probably go to a church in Milan and not even know what rite the liturgy is in (unless you're a total liturgy dork, like yours truly :p).

Some cool things about the Ambrosian rite pre-V2: it didn't undergo any of the reforms promulgated by Pope St. Gregory the Great in the 6th century and after, so it has a handful of traditions that still exist in the East, such as a six week Advent, and the Pater Noster being prayed when the celebrant communicates rather than after the Consecration.

[/quote]

I thought there was something about the new liturgical books issued since the 80s that restored much of the unique features of the Rite?

May be this can be of interest to you. The Ambrosian rite's breviary has been made available on iTunes, although there are versions for Android and Blackberry.

It is called iBreviary.

ibreviary.org/en/

The Ambrosian rite is considered a "language" within the application, so in the "Languages" menu just select "Rito Ambrosiano".

Hope this can be of help to you.

--

[quote="JerryZ, post:11, topic:348158"]
May be this can be of interest to you. The Ambrosian rite's breviary has been made available on iTunes, although there are versions for Android and Blackberry.

It is called iBreviary.

ibreviary.org/en/

The Ambrosian rite is considered a "language" within the application, so in the "Languages" menu just select "Rito Ambrosiano".

Hope this can be of help to you.

--

[/quote]

Cool, I am downloading it to try it out. Thanks. I am currently using Universalis on iPhone, iPad & MacBook. Extrememely useful as it combines LOTH, Sunday & Weekday missal - and I don't have to look for pages or which saint day is it today. Also cheaper at $14 (or $10 on MacBook) than buying all the missals, etc and carrying them on the plane.

But they are only in one language and one Rite.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.