Amen? (Edited title)

Wondering why we same Amen sometimes and other times R-men? Just curious why the different pronunciations?

Welcome to the forums;
here the difference is simple A (Long A)=men and ah-men. :)

Thank you for the reply - I know it is AAAAAA-men and the other is RRRRRR-men. I just wondered why we don't say one or the other all the time? :shrug:

[quote="Joyce_Elaine, post:1, topic:328563"]
Wondering why we same Amen sometimes and other times R-men? Just curious why the different pronunciations?

[/quote]

Welcome to the forums!:wave:

Some people say ey-men (long A), some say ah-men (short A). I think it is just a different pronunciation of the same word. This seems like a good time to quote Mr. Fred Astaire. :)

you say either and i say either
you say neither and i say neither
either, either, neither, neither
let's call the whole thing off

you say tomato, i say tomato
you eat potato and i eat potato
tomato, tomato, potato, potato
let's call the whole thing off

Bad idea. Now I am going to be humming that song for the rest of the day.:)

The correct way is "ah-men", because it is Hebrew. All other languages say it "ah-men", and only American English started using "ey-men". Even in Greek, Slavonic and Latin, is it "Ah-men" or "Ah-min". I've been to a Chaldean Catholic Liturgy once and they say, "ah-min".

[quote="ConstantineTG, post:5, topic:328563"]
The correct way is "ah-men", because it is Hebrew. All other languages say it "ah-men", and only American English started using "ey-men". Even in Greek, Slavonic and Latin, is it "Ah-men" or "Ah-min". I've been to a Chaldean Catholic Liturgy once and they say, "ah-min".

[/quote]

I stand corrected and I thank you for the lesson. I did not know that, so I appreciate learning.:)

[quote="ConstantineTG, post:5, topic:328563"]

[/quote]

Thank you very much for informing me. This information has helped me. We Americans think whatever we say must be correct, lol :thumbsup:

To-May-To or To-Ma-to Po-Tay-to or Po-Ta-To

Strictly a difference in language.

[/quote]

You work on a pirate ship?

:smiley:

Only on September 19, International Talk Like a Pirate Day.

:smiley:

I think it's partly a difference of accent/regionality. I generally say ah-men, but also at times eh-men. Partly too if there are vowels near each other, many people would pronounce something slightly differently.

I have always associated ay-men with Protestant fundamentalist, non liturgical churches.

The first Mass I was ever at I was surprised to hear ay-men. Even Protestant churches main line and liturgical say ah-men.

Why imitate the people who hate us and often deny that we are Christians at all?

I might imagine that many don’t why it’s pronouned ah men. I learned that here :slight_smile:

[quote="andrewstx, post:12, topic:328563"]
I have always associated ay-men with Protestant fundamentalist, non liturgical churches.

The first Mass I was ever at I was surprised to hear ay-men. Even Protestant churches main line and liturgical say ah-men.

Why imitate the people who hate us and often deny that we are Christians at all?

[/quote]

Remember this?
m.youtube.com/watch?v=rn6w255CGkk

Of course I remember it, LOTF was required reading and viewing in my Junior English class.

If I remember the plot Sidney Poitier was a BAPTIST “correcting” the sisters.

My grandparents were Baptist, I remember being taken to their church as a small boy and hearing someone shout aymen when he agreed with the preacher. Startled me badly and that is all I remember from that church years ago.

[/quote]

Ay-men and Ah-men are simply different ways of pronouncing the word Amen whereas R-men is simply bad English pronunciation.

[quote="HelenRose, post:8, topic:328563"]
To-May-To or To-Ma-to Po-Tay-to or Po-Ta-To

Strictly a difference in language.

[/quote]

[quote="thistle, post:17, topic:328563"]
Ay-men and Ah-men are simply different ways of pronouncing the word Amen whereas R-men is simply bad English pronunciation.

[/quote]

Actually it's a bit more than a difference in language. 'Amen' was originally the Hebrew word 'אָמֵן' that has been adopted into other languages, so ah-men (/ɑːˈmɛn/) is derived from the actual pronunciation of the original Hebrew word which is also ah-men (/ɑːˈmɛn/), while ay-men (/eɪˈmɛn/) is somebody misconceiving the pronunciation of the word from the way it is spelled in English. Note that few other languages use ay-men other than English. This is because it is English that tends to have so many ways of pronouncing the letter 'a', hence giving us such an issue. And 'r-men' is just somebody trying too hard to sound original. :)

Just think how amusing it would be if the Chinese insisted on pronouncing 'America' as 'ay-mer-EE-kah'. It's not how it was originally pronounced, but one can certainly imagine such a pronunciation from the way it is spelled. That's the same issue we have here. ;)

Anyway, I'm not saying we should stop saying ay-men, but that's just how it arose. I personally think it's really a small issue, and it's not such a big deal that we should start changing the way we say it. We're not going to burn in hell for saying it differently, I should think! :D

[quote="Filii_Dei, post:18, topic:328563"]
Actually it's a bit more than a difference in language. 'Amen' was originally the Hebrew word 'אָמֵן' that has been adopted into other languages, so ah-men (/ɑːˈmɛn/) is derived from the actual pronunciation of the original Hebrew word which is also ah-men (/ɑːˈmɛn/), while ay-men (/eɪˈmɛn/) is somebody misconceiving the pronunciation of the word from the way it is spelled in English. Note that few other languages use ay-men other than English. This is because it is English that tends to have so many ways of pronouncing the letter 'a', hence giving us such an issue. And 'r-men' is just somebody trying too hard to sound original. :)

Just think how amusing it would be if the Chinese insisted on pronouncing 'America' as 'ay-mer-EE-kah'. It's not how it was originally pronounced, but one can certainly imagine such a pronunciation from the way it is spelled. That's the same issue we have here. ;)

Anyway, I'm not saying we should stop saying ay-men, but that's just how it arose. I personally think it's really a small issue, and it's not such a big deal that we should start changing the way we say it. We're not going to burn in hell for saying it differently, I should think! :D

[/quote]

I've always said AH-men. My understanding about AY-men is that it started in an American musical movie and stuck. Personally, I cringe when I hear the word pronounced AY-men.

As for R-men many people from Liverpool in England like Paul McCartney mispronounce words by sticking an r in a word where it doesn't exist.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.