AMERICA/MEXICO - Scarcity of jobs, low wages, dangerous work, poverty

Mexico City - Mexico is experiencing an economic crisis. Among the most serious consequences, violation of the right to work , which means unemployment, low wages, discrimination, dangerous jobs. This situation affects mainly women, adolescent, adult, indigenous and migrants, forced to accept insecure work which in some cases entails slavery . This complex scenario involves some 3 million girls and boys forced to work to alleviate situations of extreme poverty. In Mexico no one respects national and international norms in this matter. According to the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, the right to work is essential for the realisation of other the human rights and indispensable for the human dignity of every individual and all people have the right to work in order to live with dignity.

Full article…

I expect Mexico is ripe for some political activism.

For many years the US has enabled their leadership to remain corrupt and not serve the needs of their people.

Mexico is an enigma to me.

It’s a country full of hard working, industrious people, devoutly religious, and big on family and children. Yet they continue to suffer in poverty and their standard of living in many parts of the country are low, even though “free trade” agreements like NAFTA and CAFTA have given her so many of America’s jobs.

I know corruption is a big problem, but does that explain the endless mess they seem to be in? And what is the answer?:confused:

It would be nice to have a flourishing economy south of our border, like we have in the North, instead of a poor one…

It’s a country full of hard working, industrious people, devoutly religious, and big on family and children. Yet they continue to suffer in poverty and their standard of living in many parts of the country are low, even though “free trade” agreements like NAFTA and CAFTA have given her so many of America’s jobs

Foreign agreements are meaningless as long as corrupt and scandal exist in government. NAFTA and CAFTA are largely just feel-good policies.

I know corruption is a big problem, but does that explain the endless mess they seem to be in? And what is the answer?:confused:

It really does. The corruption and drug cartels are very problematic.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.