American Bible scholar claims ancient 'confessions' prove story of Jesus Christ was entirely fabricated by Roman aristocrats

dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2451087/American-Bible-scholar-claims-ancient-confessions-prove-story-Jesus-Christ-entirely-fabricated-Roman-aristocrats.html

Joseph Atwill says Romans ‘used Christ as propaganda to pacify subjects’
Made ‘discovery’ while reading only surviving account of 1st-century Judea
Claims dozens of hidden parallels between Emperor TItus Flavius and Jesus
He said: ‘Biography of Jesus is constructed, tip to stern, on prior stories’
The claims were dismissed by bible academic James Crossley, who compared Mr Atwill’s work to that of author Dan Brown

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Sean, ya gotta stop reading the Daily Fail.:wink:

I only read it for the football, and even then it’s full of hogwash.:stuck_out_tongue:

Here’s a review:
robertmprice.mindvendor.com/rev_atwill.htm

This is going to happen more and more scholarly books trying to delegitimize the Church, Al Kresta has a chapter in his book Dangers of the Faith.

He is trying to piggy-back on the Bill O’Reilly buzz.

It’s a really tired old trope conspiracy theory. Atwills’ atheist fans think Saul of Tarsus was a Roman spy (double-agent?) and that civic intellectuals working for the Roman Emperor wrote the original versions of the (fake) gospels.

One wonders why the Roman Empire had such a hard time procuring enough paper to produce a few hundred copies of their own ‘gospels’ AND why we dont seem to have any authentic copies still in existence.

And its not clear why the Romans would persecute people who believed those fake gospels and wanted to help propagate them.

And it’s not clear why Titus needed to resort to such an extravagant and contrived scheme to suppress the restless people of Jerusalem - which Rome was able to flatten by conventional military means in 70 AD

Atwill’s case against the Resurrection?
Vespasian had some Romans create backdated ‘‘gospels’’ as to use propaganda tools - just in case 50,000 soldiers failed to ‘‘persuade’’ the Jews who was in charge. Those were the same Jews who helped fake the Resurrection of a person who never existed who did miracles nobody ever saw and whose followers Pliny was just pretending to torture.

“Atwill, who will be presenting his findings at a talk in London later this month, said the Romans turned to subtler ways of keeping order when heavy-handed tactics failed.”

Subtle? LOL

“…sophisticated propaganda tool.”

Understatement of the century.

It like people don’t get that most devout Catholics and Christians have had an encounter with the risen Lord and have a personal relationship with Him.

Yes, I see it now, right up the detail where Titus was crucified by a Roman governor at the instigation of the Jewish leadership.

This ranks with the 9/11 truther conspiracy theories. It’s total rubbish.

One of Mr Atwills’ eureka moment discoveries is that;
Josephus ben Matthias. (Flavius Josephus) is almost an anagram of Joseph of Arimathea.

This is why I have problems when Catholic institutions don’t have their professors take the Mandatum. Notre Dame has a Bible professor who teaches their PHD program and she is 100% the product of the Ivy League and says the martyrs weren’t persecuted or martyr like history portrays them.

This is so ridiculous it deserves no consideration whatsoever. :eek:

Ho-Hum…just an example of another Academic trying to get his name into the newspaper!

2 Peter 16-18

Eyewitnesses of Christ’s Glory

16 For we did not follow cleverly devised myths when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but we had been eyewitnesses of his majesty. 17 For he received honour and glory from God the Father when that voice was conveyed to him by the Majestic Glory, saying, ‘This is my Son, my Beloved, with whom I am well pleased.’ 18 We ourselves heard this voice come from heaven, while we were with him on the holy mountain.

People who write these things think their causing a real story, but all their doing is going against God, and unfortunately in the process causing ppl who are in shaky ground right now when it comes to faith, to have doubts.

I hope ppl like thus who have hatred, one day reconcile with God and convert.

And if he wasn’t a complete fabrication they also have irrefutable evidence that he got married and had a family in France…

Hmmm…so the 12 were just con-men running around risking their necks for a lie? Yah…that’s believable. :rolleyes:

One wonders how he gets credit for being a “biblical scholar”

His own website indicates only that he attended a Jesuit High School [St Mary’s Military Academy] in Japan and ‘some’ college [unnamed] where he studies computer science … it does not even say he graduated - but appears he was successful enough to sell his companies and then began a study of the origins of Christianity … oh and I guess he is a world class chess player …

Really - selling a couple of books that denigrate Christianity - the most popular current secular past time … makes you a “biblical scholar” … Well - Dan Brown must be superior scholar - Dan Browns book are made into movies after all :rolleyes: - maybe a host of others as well :shrug:

This is the type of article you find in tabloids. And the Daily Mail is a tabloid

opinion, conjecture, the article actually counters the opinion

not a news article

closed

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.