American Catholicism

A friend asked me the following and I thought I’d throw it out to all of you to see what you know.

“Does anyone know anything about “American Catholicism”? Our parish will have a speaker on this topic in May. I believe the speaker’s name is Ms. Motu who supposedly spoke in Steubenville. Any information is greatly appreciated.”

Tish - you are so full of questions today :smiley:

It really depends on what is meant by “American Catholicism”. There are a number of churches that claim to be “American Catholic”, check your Yellow Pages if you live in a big city and see how many there are, none of these are in Communion with Rome.

Now there is also “American Catholicism” in that some people who belong to the Roman Rite Catholic Church tend to think it should be run like a democracy which it is not. If we want women priests then why don’t we, why must we go to confession etc. Hopefully someone else can give you a better idea than this.

Brenda V.

The Title alone sounds wrong.

There are those that fear and perhaps predict that the Roman Catholic Church as it exists in the United States will go into schism. They sometimes refer to this segment of the Church as the American Catholic Church. In my opinion this is mostly hooey.

I wonder if it is any way related to Cafateria Catholicism.

[quote=Tish]Does anyone know anything about “American Catholicism”? Our parish will have a speaker on this topic in May. I believe the speaker’s name is Ms. Motu who supposedly spoke in Steubenville. Any information is greatly appreciated.
[/quote]

Franciscan University of Steubenville is a very orthodox university, but they haven’t always been very orthodox. She could have spoken there when they weren’t orthodox. I could not find anything online about a speaker by that name, so I don’t know. The talk could be a warning against the “We’re Americans, therefore we don’t have to listen to what the Pope says” attitude (the same attitude as the English just before they broke away), or it could totally embrace that attitude. Is your friend’s pastor orthodox? Is your friend’s bishop orthodox? Maybe your friend could ask the pastor to explain why he wanted the speaker to speak on this topic (most professional speakers give you a list of topics they can speak about, and the person coordinating it chooses one).

Find out what the speakers exact name is and search it on the internet.

Whoa, that’s a scary thought. I can’t imagine what kind of shape we’d be in if this concept of “American Catholicism” is just a repeat of what happened to England. Can you imagine Catholics becoming Anglicans? :frowning:

And now we’ve looked across the sea and seen the Catholic Emancipation signed, and amends beginning to come about in England but we, being the smart Americans we are, decide that it will work for us, and OUR reformed Church won’t ever have to allow Rome in again, because no one will want it back.

And, knowing Americans, most probably would prefer the Church without strictures or rules. After all, living the easy life on the easy path is what makes us American, right?

The English learnt their lesson, and now we are going to have to learn it for ourselves.

[quote=rwoehmke]There are those that fear and perhaps predict that the Roman Catholic Church as it exists in the United States will go into schism. They sometimes refer to this segment of the Church as the American Catholic Church. In my opinion this is mostly hooey.
[/quote]

Part of it already has gone into schism. SSPX!!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.