American Church and Slavery

Can anyone give me a good reason as to why the Church tolerated, in America, her priests and bishops owning slaves?

Yes, I’m well aware that slavery was “officially” condemned by Rome, and I can also understand her “tolerating” this among lay people, meanwhile doing all she could to mitigate the plight of the slaves . . .

But what I can’t understand, for the life of me, is why on earth she would tolerate her own lergy owning slaves, and why Pius IX, for instance, was a supporter of the Confederacy.

What good is “condemning” something if you’re going to tolerate it anyway, even among your own clergy?

Anyone?!

[quote=Sacramentalist]Can anyone give me a good reason as to why the Church tolerated, in America, her priests and bishops owning slaves?

Yes, I’m well aware that slavery was “officially” condemned by Rome, and I can also understand her “tolerating” this among lay people, meanwhile doing all she could to mitigate the plight of the slaves . . .

But what I can’t understand, for the life of me, is why on earth she would tolerate her own lergy owning slaves, and why Pius IX, for instance, was a supporter of the Confederacy.

What good is “condemning” something if you’re going to tolerate it anyway, even among your own clergy?

Anyone?!
[/quote]

Perhaps they simply didn’t have the poewr. And where did you hear Pius IX was a supporter of the Confederacy? And did you hear why?

Can you give me a good reason why PROTESTANTS formed the anti-black and anti-Catholic KKK which murdered black people by placing ropes around their necks and hanging them from trees? The bible says thou shalt not kill and protestants claim to follow the bible.

Mine is the far more urgent question, since after all the KKK still exists today and the alleged slave-owning clergy is a mere historical curiousity.

adnauseum:

Avoiding the question by bringing up Protestant injustices is just idiotic.

Sacramentalist

Not so fast. You haven’t answered a previous questioner.

How do you authenticate that Pius IX backed the Confederacy? And why. What is your source?

How do you authenticate that Catholic clergy owned slaves? What is your source?

You have some ‘splainin’ to do before you accuse others of idiocy.

I don’t know if your history is factual. Can you give me your sources?

I’ll assume (for the sake of this argument) that your history is factual and that some clergy owned slaves. I would answer, then, that humans are flawed; some people will be more inclined to accept or participate in an activity when it is accepted by the surrounding society and not condemned by Scripture. Should they have? Of course not, but humans are flawed.

As for Pius lX being a supporter of the Confederacy: that seems far-fetched. You’ll have to provide evidence of that.

here is an interesting discussion of this subject:

catholicism.org/catholicism-south.html

[quote=Sacramentalist]adnauseum:

[/quote]

Idiocy it might be. But in the event that your little question was a cheap shot at the Church - which it increasingly seems to be - anyone who reads this thread will now be reminded of the actual atrocities of the protestants, who are invariably the source of the slime you are spreading.

If you have facts, bring them to light for us. Otherwise apologize to the board for scandalizing our Church.

Joseph, thank you for that link.

It was in interesting read. From what I understand, the Pope offered comfort to a man who wanted to be a Catholic and was prevented from doing so, and who was the leader of the government of a country that had been defeated in war. I knew of the Catholic influence on Southern Society - shoot, even the character of Scarlet O’Hara was Catholic!

I have always been uncomfortable with the idea that secular beliefs have influenced our religious leaders - ALL our religious leaders. It is not right, and it is a sin that should be acknowledged. But I don’t think that Pope Pius reaching out to a man in prison and in pain was a bad thing, in an of itself.

Anyway, this is an interesting subject. We do have to acknowledge that history will judge us. I think it is evident in the stand the Church has today on many moral issues. We are damned if we speak our minds politically and claim our Catholic Faith as influencing our decisions, and we will be damned historically if we do NOT.

[quote=Sacramentalist]adnauseum:

[/quote]

Why does the Catholic conduct upset you but not the murder of blacks by protestants?

This is troubling.

In any event, you are no more entitled to an accounting of the sins of 19th century clergy than you are to an accounting of my sins.

Who are you to judge?

My thanks, too, Joseph.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.