Your donation helps provide answers and spread the gospel. GIVE NOW! Matching gift doubles your donation.

American Girl -"I can" campaign promotes Roe

I am so upset. We have been purchasing “American Girl” products for years. My daughters have quite a few of the American Girl books, dolls and clothing.

They just came out with a new line of Merchandise about a year ago. It is affiliated with a program which promotes “girls rights” They sell an armband, cosmetics, perfume, and other toiletries. It says that a donation from purchase of these products goes to the “I Can” campaign. Part of this campaign is a curriculum for young girls which teaches them abstinance (great right? Yes it would be nice if they left it there) But no, it goes on to say that if they can’t abstain then they are taught about birth control, abortion etc. I called the Offices in DC and New York and sure enough, they say they

Support the Roe V. Wade decision.

Their curriculum is geared toward protecting a girls right to choose

Depending on the local chapter, they have the freedom to promote planned parenthood and abortion clinics.

American Girl products are pricey, but we always felt that it was good to promote chidren’s toys and books that are positive and teach about history. Needless to say, the order I put in last night will be the last, and I will be certain to tell them why, by sending letters to all branches of the company, letting them know that they have lost my family from their list of customers, which includes grandparents, Aunts and uncles and friends.

girlsinc.org/ic/page.php?id=1.2.2

The material presented here wasn’t as detailed as I wanted so I called the offices in both New York and D.C. for confirmation on this.

and here is the link from American Girl for purchasing the “I Can” American girl Bracelet.
store.americangirl.com/shop/ican.php

That is so sad. I read those books when I was young. I don’t understand why those kinds of companies need to get involved with Children. I guess they need to start brainwashing them while they’re young. Good for you for calling and sending out letters.

Thank you for this information!

Supporters of Roe Vs. Wade believe that the right to abort is what keeps us equal to men!!!??? How absurd!

I checked out the links and I didn’t see any clear support of abortion, though clearly Girls, Inc. educates about birth control. And that is bad enough. Girls, Inc. and American Girl are probably intentionally not advertising a pro-abortion link in order to avoid controversy. This is another example of corporate America pushing a “values” agenda and allying itself with “values” that its customers may not share.

Despite its history going back to 1864, I have never heard of Girls, Inc. I wonder if it was called something else originally–perhaps Girls’ Clubs.

Note: Yup, I found that indeed Girls Inc was formerly Girls Clubs. See girlsinc.org/ic/page.php?id=1.1.7

Now get the “I Can” doll for your daughter with another baby doll, then explain exactly what abortion is. If you’d like you can throw that doll in the trash and never see it again. Then see if she still thinks its a good idea.

[quote=Peace-bwu]I am so upset. We have been purchasing “American Girl” products for years.
They just came out with a new line of Merchandise about a year ago. It is affiliated with a program which promotes “girls rights” …It says that a donation from purchase of these products goes to the “I Can” campaign. …Their curriculum is geared toward protecting a girls right to choose.

girlsinc.org/ic/page.php?id=1.2.2

The material presented here wasn’t as detailed as I wanted so I called the offices in both New York and D.C. for confirmation on this.

and here is the link from American Girl for purchasing the “I Can” American girl Bracelet.
store.americangirl.com/shop/ican.php
[/quote]

Thanks for the information. From my perusal of those links, it is evident that the founders and the philosophy of the American Girl enterprise of sure feminist in the secular sense and cloak their language terms which unveil the feminist, secular agenda, with at best only optionally associates fornication and sexual “decisions” and “female health” with morals or one’s religious “values”:

“In Girls Incorporated, I see the opportunity to blend what I think are the best aspects of the women’s and the civil rights movements. From the women’s movement, I borrow the goal of women’s economic independence.”

For Girls Ages 9 – 11 & a Parent/Adult Five interactive sessions jump-start crucial, two-way conversations between girls and a trusted adult about sexuality issues …Key topics include parents being the primary sexuality educators …and values and expectations for teen sexual behavior.

For Girls Ages 12–14 In this 10-session program girls learn how to say no to sex as they enter the most pressure-sensitive adolescent years. Interactive sessions center on values; relationships; the reproductive system and female health and hygiene; separating sexual myths from reality; assertiveness and communication skills; identifying and resisting sexual pressures from the media and peers; sexual decision-making and avoiding risky situations; the positive aspects of abstinence, and the power of a positive-sister support system.

Taking Care of Business®

For Girls Ages 15–18 Ten interactive sessions focus on recognizing and moving beyond limiting sex-role stereotypes for women; values as a basis for positive decision-making; …avoiding risky behavior, pregnancy, STDs and HIV through abstinence and smart choices; the facts on contraception and protection; and communication and success skills to achieve career goals.

“Every “I CAN” band purchased (only $1 plus shipping and processing) helps American girls nationwide. When you sign the “I CAN” promise that comes with the band, you’ll be reminded that anything is possible when you believe in yourself.”

Gosh, I loved those books and dolls when I was little. I remember begging my mom for one of those dolls ('Kirsten" I think or ‘Samantha’ were my favorite) and she couldn’t because they were so expensive, anyway…it’s sad that something seemingly so innocent has this hiding behind it. You always have to be on the lookout for hidden motives these days. Why do they have to do that? Why can’t it just be dolls and books and stuff? Sheesh…

Sickening news, but not surprising. I have four daughters and we don’t have any American girl dolls any more. I gave them away. Now I’m so glad! Soon, they make a Breast Cancer Awareness/Susan Koman Foundation American Girl doll complete with matching rubber bracelet for your daughter, all while ignoring the established links between artificial hormones, abortion, and breast cancer. What I don’t understand is why consumers buy into all of this garbage? Why is it that everything at the grocery store has a breast cancer ribbon on it? Geeze Louis! Can’t a bag of M & Ms just be a bag of chocolate candy? Can’t a beautiful doll just be a doll?

There is a Christian company that makes beautiful toys for children (probably started with the homeschool market in mind) that are also historical in approach, very similar to American Girls, but not afraid to promote the values that formed these periods of time. They make very cool objects for boys as well. I don’t recall the name of the business… sorry.

[font=Comic Sans MS]Thanks for the information. From my perusal of those links, it is evident that the founders and the philosophy of the American Girl enterprise of sure feminist in the secular sense and cloak their language terms which unveil the feminist, secular agenda, with at best only optionally associates fornication and sexual “decisions” and “female health” with morals or one’s religious “values”:

Yes, I noticed very much ths same tricky positive language. When I first saw these products I thought it seemed nice, but when I saw the armband and signing a promise and proceeds going to a program I thought I better check it out.

Most of the people in my circle who buy from this company do so because it is a more Christian friendly company in that the stories and dolls promote and interest in history. It’s just so frustrating that a seemingly positive company has to suck us into an anti-life, artificial feminist agenda.

Any Christian who is against the mentality of Planned Parenthood needs to be very careful with the American Girl company, they are giving money and wanting your daughter to wear an armband which represents, not the strength and dignity in authentic feminity, but our culture of death’s concept of a woman’s dignity stemming from the ability to get and use birth control and abortion.

I will be looking into this further, I only put two and two together a few hours ago, so I will post any other info I dig up on this program and American Girls affiliation with it.

If, for some reason we ever do get an armband I will send it back to the company with a letter of disapproval for their affiliation with a group which pushes a political agenda contrary to a large group of their consumers… with a thinly veiled positive spin.

The people I spoke with were nice and I was also very polite to them, if anyone is interested in calling the “I can” girl offices or American Girl.[/font]

Now I’m so glad! Soon, they make a Breast Cancer Awareness/Susan Koman Foundation American Girl doll complete with matching rubber bracelet for your daughter, all while ignoring the established links between artificial hormones, abortion, and breast cancer.

They really do, or is this a tongue in cheek joke?

I should have made that clearer. I should have said, “Soon they’ll make” or “Perhaps someday we’ll even see…” I am not aware of any plans for such a doll and I apoligize for my mistake. Thanks for clearing that up!

Amercian Girl is (or at least the last time I checked) owned by Mattel. If anything vis a vis “Breast Cancer Awareness” rears it’s ugly head in the form of a doll aimed at little girls, you can bet Barbie will be the first one to display it. We don’t do Barbies anymore either.

[quote=jman507]Now get the “I Can” doll for your daughter with another baby doll, then explain exactly what abortion is. If you’d like you can throw that doll in the trash and never see it again. Then see if she still thinks its a good idea.
[/quote]

I don’t think there is an “I Can” doll. My daughter already knows what abortion is,(she doesnt’ know all the gorey details yet, but will when she is older) I explained it a few years ago so that she could pray about it. My parents were pro-life activists in the 70’s and I knew what it was. The “I can” products are a new line in American Girl that are mainly hygiene books, lotions, soaps and now a new perfume. Luckily, although her grandma got her some of this stuff, she isn’t into it much yet. They now also sell it at Bath and Body Works.

If my daughter knew that American Girl promoted this she would probably be very upset. She has alot of American girl stuff.

Abortion is understandably very upsetting to her.:slight_smile:

My take on this is they are starting girls out with “taking care of themselves” and hygiene so that as they get older and perhaps take part in the curriculum, they will be geared to see Birth Control and Abortion on the same level as hygiene, soap and lotion, just another way to take care of themselves without moral consequences. This is a bit creepy the way they are doing it, and I guarantee most parents haven’t figured it out yet.

[quote=jman507]Now get the “I Can” doll for your daughter with another baby doll, then explain exactly what abortion is. If you’d like you can throw that doll in the trash and never see it again. Then see if she still thinks its a good idea.
[/quote]

I know how you meant it, but this made me laugh out loud at work just now. :smiley:

I’ve had AG dolls since I was a little kid. They’re great. I don’t think I’d stop buying a product just because the company discusses abortion. I mean, not everyone is pro life. Just because we are, doesn’t mean we have to write angry letters about something that “just is”. Boycotting AG products will not stop people from having abortions. Just my two credits.

[quote=Jaded27]I know how you meant it, but this made me laugh out loud at work just now. :smiley:

I’ve had AG dolls since I was a little kid. They’re great. I don’t think I’d stop buying a product just because the company discusses abortion. I mean, not everyone is pro life. Just because we are, doesn’t mean we have to write angry letters about something that “just is”. Boycotting AG products will not stop people from having abortions. Just my two credits.
[/quote]

The thing that is bothering me here is that American Girl gives money to this group, and have girls sign a “promise” and wear an armband without explaining what it is for. You have to look it up online at the “I Can” site or call the offices to ask for information on the program. I don’t want my daughter wearing an armband that represents this agenda or my money going to it.

From what I understand, only the “I Can” products give money to this program.

I’m not going to get rid of any of our dolls, but I feel it would be feeding the pro-abortion machine to give them my money if they donate to the cause.

Oh, armbands=bad. That IS a little wierd.

[quote=Cupofkindness]I should have made that clearer. I should have said, “Soon they’ll make” or “Perhaps someday we’ll even see…” I am not aware of any plans for such a doll and I apoligize for my mistake. Thanks for clearing that up!

Amercian Girl is (or at least the last time I checked) owned by Mattel. If anything vis a vis “Breast Cancer Awareness” rears it’s ugly head in the form of a doll aimed at little girls, you can bet Barbie will be the first one to display it. We don’t do Barbies anymore either.
[/quote]

I thought maybe you saw one advertised as “coming soon!” LOL

We have never done Barbie. I didn’t like the chick when I was a little girl and I like her even less now.

[quote=Jaded27]Oh, armbands=bad. That IS a little wierd.
[/quote]

Yeah armbands. if you want to see them click the link in my original post.

My daughter belongs to the American Girl club, which I have no problem with. She wants a doll for Christmas. We got emails from the club promoting the Girls, Inc affiliation. (I can program) I searched the Girls Inc site. You really have to search, but after clicking around on highlighted words, I found exactly what they believe it. Reproductive freedom as outlined in Roe vs Wade (yes, they actually cited RvW) and working against discrimination based on sexual preference. YIKES!!

Also, they brag that 75% of donations goes to services. Don’t they realize that is a very low percentage. According to Charity Navigator, they get 1 our of 4 stars for efficiency. However, not the biggest problem with the affiliation, I know.

I emailed American Girl and told them that I was very disappointed in the agency that American Girl chose to align themselves with. I’m hoping that it is just ignorance. Maybe if enough people state their displeasure with the association it will make a difference.

My daughter does have some of the hair care products. She loves them, and I was planning to stock her up for Christmas. I don’t think we will be buying any more of them. And certainly not a bracelet and “pledge”

Arlene

Owned by Mattel? I know the company has been changing. Hallmark is affiliated with American Girl now, and they are selling the “I Can” products at Bath and Body Works. It was owned by “Pleasant Company” but for all I know, they are owned by Mattel now, as American Girl has gone through many changes lately. Do you know anything else about this? I am not aware that they are owned by Mattel, but am curious now!

It used to be that you could only buy their products via catalogue (when I was a kid) but now they have a wide range of products which are also sold in stores. They used to be the only company who sold Angelina Ballarina, but now the copyright must be owned by another toy company and another, cheaper, version is sold in stores.

Yes, American Girl is now owned by Mattel.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.