American Jihadi Killed in Syria Fighting, White House Says

American Jihadi Killed in Syria Fighting, White House Says

Douglas McAuthur McCain, a 33-year-old rapper, was among several ISIS militants the Free Syrian Army claimed on Twitter had been killed over the weekend in fighting for the ancient Syrian city of Aleppo. Caitlin Hayden, a spokesperson for the White House National Security Council, said the administration was “aware” McCain was in Syria and “can confirm” his death.

“We continue to use every tool we possess to disrupt and dissuade individuals from traveling abroad for violent jihad and to track and engage those who return,” Hayden said.

abcnews.go.com/Blotter/douglas-mccain-american-jihadi-killed-syria-fighting-white/story?id=25136199

This is too major of a story to merely be referenced in one of the threads.

Significant too is the battle in which he was killed was against the Free Syrian Army not against the Syrian Government.

I read one story with some of his facebook postings, he himself seemed passionate and not that “evil”, we are hearing about the evil ISIS is doing and if they are doing these things, yes it is evil. A lot of their men are getting killed as well. Sad, that foreigners who go to fight in ISIS may well be fodder.

Kids like this are alienated and unstable. They get sucked up into these movements because it feels like a support system. Just like gangs, Boston Marathon bomber, kids who go into schools and blow everybody away based on video games and being unpopular at school. It’s sad. The real believers in violent movements such as ISIS are few and far between (and are usually psychotic/evil). We are light years away from religious faith here.

All of the evil events that are going on throughout the world are so sad. I pray daily that the name of God be brought back into the world. What I mean by that is we can longer pray in our schools, institutions etc. So young people that are not raised in a faith oriented family have no idea what Truth is, and have no defense against the enemy of this world. So very sad. :bighanky:

Check these people out (American supporters of Islam extremism)

bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-28945626

Moner Mohammad Abu-Salha was the first American to carry out a suicide attack in Syria

Here is the gentleman’s Twitter feed (CAUTION: there is some very vile and foul language, so if that kind of stuff is a stumbling-block to you, use appropriate caution)

The Washington Post has an interesting profile on the guy that says, in part:

But his social media soon suggested otherwise. He tenure on Twitter began innocuously with a late 2012 dispatch: “I’m not feelin this Twitter sh– … wallahi I wants fried chicken. … Watching the Help starting to make me hate white people. … Ok its official f— white people.” He spoke of smoking hookah, watching National Geographic, his Somali friends and his growing religious zeal.

But on Facebook, his imprint was substantially darker. In 2010, McCain, who later traveled to Sweden and Canada, uploaded several images of the black Islamic militant flag. His photo spread became a confounding mixture of family life beside militants clutching swords and gold machine guns. Then there was this message: The “soldiers of Allah” are “coming back.”

Sometime in the spring of this year, NBC News reported he traveled to Turkey under unknown circumstances. Several people told the news channel they met with McCain — who called himself “Duale” — at an Istanbul Burger King where “they talked about the NBA.” Afterward, on June 9, he sent a tweet to a purported member of the Islamic State: “I will be joining you guys soon.” Later, he wrote, “I’m with brothers now,” and retweeted a message saying, “It takes a warrior to understand a warrior. Pray for ISIS.”

I post the above to show that these people who travel over there to wage jihad may be seriously disaffected with society. How much of that disaffection is fed by the constant stream of “you are a victim”?

I seen this on Facebook earlier today. Needless to say I was somewhat shocked. I took a look at the perpetrators Twitter account and I must say that a lot of what he posted did not even make sense to me.

That said, from what I understand, there are a lot of people in the non-Muslim majority world who are being radicalized and are going to the Middle East to fight with ISIS. This is a very serious concern. I am not sure what can be done to stop it though.

All his friends seem unable to understand how he become radicalized.

That’s interesting. I would imagine that the internet played a large role in it but I have no idea for sure.

Back in grade school in the 1950s every class started the day with “opening exercises”: recite the Pledge of Allegiance, sing the National Anthem, recite the Lord’s Prayer, and a psalm reading (usually the 23rd) by a student - we’d take turns. This was a public school, not in the south or a rural area, but in a suburb of New York City. Today, I think religion and patriotism are gone from most schools.

Might be a good time to go back and read Mother Teresa on social poverty. :o I agree with those who argue that Western materialism/secularism is a religion. Doesn’t seem to be working out for everyone though.

I can’t say I have any sympathy.

However these radicalized americans propose a danger to America.

This is a big problem for our government and the department of homeland security (if it still exists).

What did this young man understand about what is happening in syria anyway?

There’s thought to be another American who was in the same battle as McCain.

The 2nd fighter is named in the 2nd article below. This info must have just come out in the last 24 hours.

The coalition did not name the fallen American. But it did say he and McCain died as its forces battled Kharijites, a historical reference to fanatical Muslims who rejected moderate teachings and advocated killing those who violated ultraconservative values.

The coalition noted that its fighters from groups with names such as Hazem Movement, the Islamic Front, Al-Mujahideen Army, Noureddine, al Zanki Battalion, Faylak Al Sham had joined those from the more moderate Free Syrian Army and more extremist al-Nusra Front. They took on ISIS forces last weekend in and around Aleppo – which is where McCain was killed.

U.S. State Department spokeswoman Jen Psaki, who was among those who reported McCain’s death, said the U.S. government is “looking into” this latest reported American casualty, even if it hasn’t confirmed his death.

cnn.com/2014/08/27/world/meast/syria-american-killed/index.html

A second American killed fighting with the Islamic State group in Syria has been identified as Abdirahmaan Muhumed, of Minneapolis, two sources told Fox News late Wednesday.

foxnews.com/politics/2014/08/28/us-looking-into-report-2nd-american-killed-fighting-with-isis-in-syria/

Just like gangs

Pretty much, and this one has gained support from 50 different countries where people are hailing from to fight with Isis. Their numbers have swollen to 17 thousand with an ideology that is fatal and final, its apocalyptic, an end of time vision cloaked in messianic confirmation by their understanding of the Quran and jihad. Complete illusion, a break from reality. It gained popularity for the same reasons as a gang-belonging, acceptance, brotherhood, yet its doctrine is rooted in worship, reverence and its understanding of Mohammed and Allah and what it means to serve them both. They are part of Allahs army to usher in the Mohammed ideal of freedom to accept or reject being separated from the infidels and establish a land of their own.

In America with the sagging middle-class, welfare, mental health and poverty, combined by a lacking educational agenda, is a perfect storm for souls like the OP.

We need a comprehensive international involvement, this is the same line from Washington for a week or so now. The need for a regional middle east coalition is much more imperative in the political realm which is starting to occur as with SA.

Everyone wants to eliminate Isis, who follows and to what degree is always a problem, and further complicated by Iraq and past US intervention.

Isis is at war with the entire world.

Consider the pervasiveness of Muslim conversions in prisons.

Yea, and even further is a split between the Nation of Islam and simply Islam in the DOC. Its an alternative and the ideals are similar to Isis with racism and hate. Either way all of it is dangerous. Islam itself is a “gang” in the DOC and dangerous, lots of murderers flock to these ideals to resolve their own God conflict and opt for the 72 virgins I would imagine, and what the heck, you can eliminate the white devils at the same time…its win-win.

google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CDYQFjAD&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.noi.org%2Fmuslim-program%2F&ei=-wf_U8jwMo-QgwTkpoLABA&usg=AFQjCNGDafAHKWdTUFkmw2nwGY0OVNgz-A

So when these americans die in syria fighting their jihad do the people that recruited them to join them in jihad pay for their bodies to be returned to america for burial? Or do they bury them in syria within 24 hours?

Its s good question, you would think in the realization of a developed independent state of Isis, in which to them repression is validated by murder, then individuals would be heros of the state.

Further does the 1st Amendment in the USA protect these expressions which are in essence hate in the radical aspects, such as Isis, or the Nation of Islam, when it indeed becomes violent and encourages the violence by prejudice.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.