American Priests in the Vatican

Hi guys, I'm new here and I have a question. I've scoured the internet looking for an answer, but I just can't seen to find it, so I thought this would be the best place to ask.

How does an American Priests, or an American considering the Priesthood get to work in Vatican City? Is there a process you can go through to get you closer to working there, or is it by appointment only? What sort of educational back ground would be needed? I hope you guys can help.

God Bless

Vatican postions are by appointment and usually require an STD. I remember being invited to a dinner party with a priest who worked for the Congregation for Bishops (I don’t recall if that is the right title) He had a doctorate but was working as an assistant. He told us some really interesting stories. I am sure there are priests with lesser degrees working in administrative positions, as assistants, secretaries, etc. but I think they are appointed positions as well. It would also be up to the priest’s bishop to release the priest to work in the Vatican. Even then it would probably be only a temporary position as a Bishop could request that the priest come back to work in the diocese after his time in a specific position is fulfilled.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.