Americans Have Lost Friends Over 2016 Presidential Election, Poll Finds

To be fair, it’s never wise to blame others for our own shortcomings. If I can’t disagree with you like a gentleman, and if I can’t overlook your flaws because I refuse to forgive, then I alone am responsible, not you.

0 Likes

Great insights!:thumbsup:

0 Likes

I certainly hope not. But some of our liberal friends think it should be.

0 Likes

The two candidates are drastically opposed on the most essential points, and so I cannot help but to disagree with their being categorized as being equally evil insofar as their policies are concerned.

An openly pro-abortion, pro-homosexual “marriage” candidate who clearly will appoint Justices who support those stances by no means is comparable to someone who will do the exact opposite, but who’s a jerk with apparent character flaws.

Having said that, I absolutely sympathize with those who cannot in good conscience vote for either candidate, especially those who don’t live in swing states, or who do live in swing states, but wherein the outcome seems to be inevitable already.

0 Likes

Let them dream.

The Constitution and the country it governs are stronger than a temporary (quadrennial is still temporary) political snag.

ICXC NIKA

0 Likes

I don’t really have any close friends who are Trump supporters. I have some acquaintances but no real friends.

0 Likes

Most of my friends are.

This election is a real divider in my life.

ICXC NIKA

0 Likes

:eek: Seriously, your spouse thinks they have a right to say who you should vote for?

And worse yet, you are pretty much telling us that is why you won’t vote for Trump. Meaning, you are okay with your spouse dictating who you vote for.

0 Likes

I have not lost any friends over this election or any other because my friends and I have better things to discuss when we get together than politics. And because I was brought up not to discuss religion and politics.

Except online. :wink:

0 Likes

Please vote people.
Remember how hard that “right” was won.
When you don’t vote, you hand the office to the person you oppose. :twocents:
One is always less evil than another, in this life. No two candidates are ever alike.

0 Likes

Excellent and strong points.

As I see it, Donald Trump is much more than a jerk. He is filled with contempt for many people, so I doubt he would well serve America, and his leadership by example would tend to make Americans more contemptuous. His swagger and overconfidence may precipitate World War III. His loose talk about prosecuting and jailing Hillary Clinton when he becomes President sounds remarkably like a third-world dictator.

But perhaps these evils, even if they are intrinsic, are not of the same order as those likely to be promoted by Hillary Clinton.

0 Likes

Relax. I’ve got more reasons than that, but to the point of this thread’s OP, marital and family harmony is a great and immediate good.

0 Likes

Most people I know here in my country basically think Americans are idiots for allowing Trump to make it this far, to be quite honest.

Most people here are definitely “traditional” in the sense that same sex marriage and abortion is looked down upon, but at the same time, most people here think Trump is a huge joke (he does not have the maturity needed to be a political figure, look at his twitter!), while Clinton, while not perfect, is qualified to be president. Most people I know support Clinton because of their concerns about international relations :shrug: but people like my dad thinks Trump will win because he thinks Americans are not ready to respect a female president??

Catholics here don’t like Clinton bc of her views towards abortion, but they probably hate Trump more because he’s anti christian, just in a different way.

So yes. Basically we are all hysterically laughing and crying at this election, because it’s funny to see how easy and ignorant Americans can be, but devastating because it does eventually affect us :confused:

0 Likes

Maybe the spouse doesn’t “dictate” the person’s vote, but will unload a ton of grief on them over it, that they’d rather not get?

I don’t see how they’d easily avoid that.

ICXC NIKA

0 Likes

Voting is done privately.How in the world would one’s spouse know?Inless they insist on going into the voting booth or filling out the ballot themselves:eek:

0 Likes

So how does that work then? The spouse bullies the other into voting their way?
Comes in the voting booth with them? :confused:

0 Likes

For us, it is the lawn signs, mutual bumper magnets, and frequent discussions. Granted, we technically don’t know which button the other pushed, but unless couples put on a decades long charade and never discuss politics, it is probably obvious.

24/7 news has made politics much more ever-present than it was 50 years ago in people’s daily lives (unfortunately).

0 Likes

If you are married to someone, it would be hard not to know their sympathies?

ICXC NIKA

0 Likes

Well that is the key to a happy marriage! :wink:

0 Likes

But knowing they oppose yours doesn’t give a spouse the right to tell the other how to vote. Agree to disagree if they have to.

0 Likes

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.