Americans more tolerant of offensive speech than others in the world

In a variety of arenas, Americans are debating the boundaries of free expression. Dean John Ellison’s recent welcome letter to incoming University of Chicago freshmen proclaimed that the school would not support “safe spaces” or “trigger warnings,” pouring more fuel on heated debates about campus free speech. San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick generated controversy by kneeling during the national anthem as a protest against racial injustice in the United States. And social media sites like Twitter and Facebook are struggling with how to handle online hate speech.

pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2016/10/12/americans-more-tolerant-of-offensive-speech-than-others-in-the-world/?utm_content=bufferf8e5e&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Count me out and others I know.

Ed

Regardless of what Pew thinks its research shows, it’s my feeling that Americans have totally lost any semblance of “live and let live” when it comes to much of our public life, particularly speech. One “wrong” word and one is suddenly charged with microaggressionn, cultural appropriation, racism, bigotry, sexism, homophobia, religious intolerance, and a host of other social “crimes.”

If Pew Research did their study here in the Midwest, then yes this would make sense :wink:

However, I thoroughly disagree that Americans are less offended than others in the world. If that were the case, PETA and crazy court cases with the LGBT wouldn’t exist.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.