Americans not confident Big Bang or evolution is real, poll shows

It looks more to me as if people just are not sure about the details.
If someone asked me if “the universe began 13.8 years ago with a big bang” I would answer only “somewhat confident” instead of “very confident”, because I wouldn’t be certain of the exact number of years.

Regarding The Big Bang on it’s own, if the only question asked is the one showing in the article…the one paired with the 13.8 billion years…again, I think many who are confident that the Big Bang began the universe may have answered “less” confidently if they were not certain about the number of years.

The way some of the questions are worded, IMO, would be confusing to some.

Except for that Methuselah, who lived to be nearly 1000 years old. And that Noah…who lived to age 500?
Good genes, I suppose.

The money would have come from all the churchgoers, yes?

More on the Church and science"

The times of these barbarian invasions of Europe was also a time of kill or be killed in a lot of countries. One shining light in all of this blood spilling was the Catholic Church and its charity. The Church built hospitals for the indigent, and provided free medical care for millions of sick people, even enemies who wanted them dead. This charitable work is the precursor of all of the organizations today who help the poor and sick.

In the 12th century, the Catholic Church invented the University. Today there are universities everywhere, but back then, there were none. **Oxford University was one of the first, and each university had to have a Papal Charter in order to operate. Oxford got its charter in 1254 AD. The universities founded by the Catholic Church initially specialized in liberal arts, civil law, philosophy, medicine and theology. Later on came engineering and science. ** Today there are actually European universities who go ballistic and refuse to let the Pope come speak at their university. But the students there are so ignorant and imbecilic, because they don’t even know they owe the existence of their university to the benevolence and industriousness of the Pope himself.

Collected and dispersed by the Church to support scientific research and higher learning.

Fairy tales. :stuck_out_tongue:

That is true.

Peace,
Ed

Macro/micro evolution is all part of the same evolution.

Scientific theories are based on facts…one repeated observations and experiments and confirmed results and data. They don’t become theories until there is strong evidence to support them. They keep developing as new strong evidence is found.

Most of your examples of the church funding science are several centuries old. Do you know if the church still gives a lot of funds to schools of science and specific scientists today? To study things like The Big Bang and Evolution and astronomy and theoretical physics?

What’s so sad and scary? Please be specific.

Best,
Ed

How about vaticanobservatory.org/

Or vatican.va/roman_curia/pontifical_academies/acdscien/

But, Robert, it’s science that comes up with the technology! :smiley:

Why have earthly science when you could just ask God? It’s God (and to a lesser degree, Satan) that is really running the show.

LOVE! :heart:

No they are not.

Scientific theories are based on facts…one repeated observations and experiments and confirmed results and data. They don’t become theories until there is strong evidence to support them. They keep developing as new strong evidence is found.

Once can believe in the facts without the spin theories. Read moth studies in London.

Most of your examples of the church funding science are several centuries old. Do you know if the church still gives a lot of funds to schools of science and specific scientists today? To study things like The Big Bang and Evolution and astronomy and theoretical physics?

I guess I could have bored everyone by including more evidence of the Church supporting scientific research.

Born 17 July 1894
Charleroi, Belgium
Died 20 June 1966 (aged 71)
Leuven, Belgium
Nationality Belgian
Fields Cosmology
Astrophysics
Institutions Université catholique de Louvain
Alma mater University of Cambridge
Massachusetts Institute of Technology (PhD)
Doctoral advisor Harlow Shapley
Doctoral students Louis Philippe Bouckaert
Known for Theory of the expansion of the Universe
Big Bang theory
Lemaître coordinates
Signature

Monseigneur Georges Henri Joseph Édouard Lemaître, (French: ʒɔʁʒə ləmɛtʁ] ( listen); 17 July 1894 – 20 June 1966) was a Belgian Roman Catholic priest, astronomer and professor of physics at the Université catholique de Louvain.[1] He was the first known academic to propose the theory of the expansion of the Universe, widely misattributed to Edwin Hubble.[2][3] He was also the first to derive what is now known as Hubble’s law and made the first estimation of what is now called the Hubble constant, which he published in 1927, two years before Hubble’s article.[4][5][6][7] Lemaître also proposed what became known as the Big Bang theory of the origin of the Universe, which he called his 'hypothesis of the primeval atom or the “Cosmic Egg”.[8]

A bit off topic but an example of funding scientific research:

lifesitenews.com/news/vatican-invests-1-million-in-adult-stem-cell-research

Peace,
Ed

But that type of science (i.e. Big Bang, and Evolution) has no practical applications regarding electrical engineering, materials science, computer design and other examples of applied science, including designing robots, sensors, aircraft and 4G cell phones.

Ed :slight_smile:

If I read the headline correctly, Americans are more trusting in what most of the English Bibles tell them about six 24-hr days, for all the good it does?

By using science to learn about His creation and the tools He uses to shape it, we can learn more about God.

As for Satan, he cannot create - only imitate and distort. As a creature, he isn’t “running” anything. He isn’t king of Hell, he’s just as much a prisoner there as any other demon or damned soul.

Why? Belief in evolution or accepting the big bang theory have zero relevance to 99.9% of us.

I am much more afraid of people who buy into junk science like Global warming and use it as an excuse to try an impose massive new taxes and regulation.

Vanity of vanities…

LOVE! :heart:

How else do you explain the Great Flood, though? :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.