Americans Now Favor GOP on Immigration — WSJ/NBC Poll

WASHINGTON—Americans are now more likely to trust Republicans to handle immigration, and less likely to support legislation backed by most Democrats giving illegal immigrants a pathway to citizenship, a new Wall Street Journal/NBC News poll finds.

These shifts in public opinion come in the wake of a spring and summer surge in Central American children illegally crossing the southwest border.

Republicans seized on the influx to argue that U.S. borders are too porous, and they blamed what they consider to be Democratic leniency toward illegal immigration for persuading children to make the journey.

blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2014/09/09/americans-now-favor-gop-on-immigration-wsjnbc-poll/

How exactly does the GOP want to handle the illegal immigrants who have already been in this country for many years, including the children of illegal immigrants? Do they have a plan or policy?

Practically speaking, they’d be wise to have a plan for a path to citizenship for them. The criminals can be deported, I suppose, although I don’t know the moral procedure for that. :shrug:

Yes, it is called operation Wet back

google.com/search?q=operation+*******&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=sb

It worked before and can work again only if we have the fortitude to implement it. St. John Paul said a country has the RIGHT to protect it’s borders.

A sad chapter in our history and with a shameful, racist name to boot. No thanks. The policy of the GOP is simple: deport them all no matter the outrageous financial cost or the human wreckage it would leave behind.

It’s hilarious to be that Obama has had more aliens removed from the US than any President in history and yet is somehow still labelled “lenient” on illegal entrants in some circles. The other amazing notion held by many GOP-ers is that Democrat policies led to this wave of children seeking entry…it’s the horrific conditions of their home countries that are causing this folks, and most of these people likely qualify for legal relief so are likely to be able to obtain legal status under the time honored refugee and asylee processes, so removing them wholesale would be to deny them legal relief to which they may be entitled.

That these are children we are talking about makes this all the sadder.:frowning:

Where do you get the idea that it is the Republicans policy to deport them all? I mean I am fine with different opinions on immigration but let’s not deliberately falsify or misrepresent the position of Republicans. The fact is there is ideological diversity on this issue within the party. There are hardliners and there are more practical people and then there are people who are more in favor of amnesty. It is not as if they are all in lockstep. In fact I think the Democrat party is much more in lockstep on most issues then the Republican Party. Perhaps one common thread in the Republican Party is to do something about our borders. - not just promise to secure the borders but actually make that the first priority before signing off on other reforms to immigration. The Republicans and conservatives do not trust the Democrats on this issue and rightly so. Because it is the Democrat party which views illegal immigrants as “operation keep Democrats and power for the next three decades”.

Ishii

What is the plan? It probably depends on which Republican you are asking. I think most prefer some kind of path to citizenship in some form as opposed to blanket amnesty. And I think they are much more likely to be for real security at the border and not pay lip service to that. I’m pretty sure that is the view of Marco Rubio secure the borders first and then deal with the immigrants that are here. What is the Democrat view? What is their policy?

Ishii

The policy of the GOP is simple: deport them all

No, it isn’t.

It’s hilarious to be that Obama has had more aliens removed from the US than any President in history and yet is somehow still labelled “lenient” on illegal entrants in some circles.

Deporting a handful of people while thousands more enter illegally (some against their will I might add) is not hilarious but quite lenient.

The other amazing notion held by many GOP-ers is that Democrat policies led to this wave of children seeking entry…

That’s actually true. Democrats rely on illegal votes as well as other forms of cheating in order to win elections. A lot of liberals really couldn’t care less about immigrants and some I’m sure would not touch them with a 10 foot pole.

Funny they need to do that, since they are always lecturing conservatives on demographics.

.it’s the horrific conditions of their home countries that are causing this folks, and

:rolleyes:

They wouldn’t come here if there was no incentive for it. As Bill O’Reilly notes “these immigrants often do not have the skills to compete in the workforce”.

most of these people likely qualify for legal relief so are likely to be able to obtain legal status under the time honored refugee and asylee processes, so removing them wholesale would be to deny them legal relief to which they may be entitled.

Time to move them all into Democrat districts then. Since they care so much about THE CHILDREN as we always hear about, it’s time for the left to put the money where the mouth is.

I’m sketchy on details though I’ve looked for it before but Truman and Roosevelt also had massive deportations. The program may have even been called the same though I couldn’t find it on the web when I looked.

Well, the majority of the country back tighter border of security by far. That’s easy to see.

What is the Democrat view? What is their policy?

Smoke and mirrors in election years to get the Latino and pro-immigrant vote, otherwise inaction to increase the chance that some will stumble (or be guided by liberal activists) into the voting booth to vote for Democrats.

Agree about what St. John Paul said, UCSSB, Bishops conference documents likewise assert a country’s rights to sovereignty, borders and not have some sort of guilt trip to import another culture into its demographics.

Right now, Italy is running into a problem with so many boat people coming from North Africa, Africa and other parts.

But in typical fashion, that’s not how they vote.

Really, if this issue (as well as the Church non-negoitables) are so terribly important to Americans, the GOP would NOT need to be strategizing to win in Kansas, Alaska, Kentucky, Georgia or Iowa. These should all be slam dunks.

But a lot of homegrown heartlanders in flyover country can’t be bothered to either vote their values or vote for someone who’s for abortion in certain extreme cases (I doubt that’s always the reason). :shrug:

But what does that even mean? The last time the Republicans had the chance to fund some “real security” they spent billions on this:

And this:

And this:

Right now, Italy is running into a problem with so many boat people coming from North Africa, Africa and other parts.

I don’t think they stay in Italy. They go to other countries.

We’ll see how the feel-good left likes when the demographics change and the new arrivals and second gen immigrants start efforts to roll back so-called gay “marriage”.

Does this mean we should adopt the laid-back left-wing attitude on everything and just not do anything?

Also, I thought the support for this was bipartisan.

If you’re going to secure the border then you need far more manpower to do it. What are you going to do? Start drafting people into the border patrol?

Passage in the House was mostly along partisan lines and democratic public certainly did not support it. Most of us saw it for the boondoggle it was. The Bush Administration eventually caught on to the scam and halted the project before the remaining billion allocated was wasted.

That is a fair criticism, Emperor Napoleon. Still, I trust the GOP a little more than I trust the Democrats on this issue, if for no other reason than at least some GOP leaders got booted out of office (Eric Cantor) for being soft on the immigration issue. Heck, its even caused Marco Rubio to get back to being realistic on this issue and propose securing our border first before dealing with any path to citizenship. But you’re right, the GOP probably doesn’t have a whole lot of credibility on this issue.

Ishii

Maybe we can bring some people from military bases abroad that aren’t needed (or Ferguson) to man the borders. Or we can build a better fence/wall. Seems like a country that could put a man on the moon could find a way to secure its borders. :shrug:

Ishii

Supposedly, the Fences that have been built have already been shown to have worked and cut down on contraband and other coming over the border. We just need to build more fences.

We need to remember that illegal aliens “self-deport” constantly. They go back to their home countries frequently. It’s not a matter of rounding them all up and putting them on semi-trailers.

The problem is re-entry, which is facilitated by forgery (a felony) of documents of identification and refusal of the government to allow employers to check further on questionable employment applicants.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.