Americans tend to say New Yorkers have the same values as anyone else, but a significant minority of Republicans do think New Yorkers are worse than the rest of the country

One of the more notable moments in the most recent Republican presidential debate came when Ted Cruz attacked Donald Trump for his ‘New York values’. He attacked New Yorkers’ social liberalism and their focus on ‘money and media’, though Trump responded by noting the way the country rallied around New York after the 9/11 attacks. Cruz was right when he noted that there aren’t many conservatives coming from Manhattan. In the 2012 election, for example, Barack Obama won 81% of the vote in New York City and 84% of the vote in Manhattan specifically.

The latest research from YouGov shows that Americans are skeptical of the idea that the values of New Yorkers are worse than the rest of the country’s. 24% of Americans say that New Yorkers have worse values than the rest of the country, 47% say that their values are ‘as good’ and 5% say that New Yorkers have better values. Unsurprisingly there is a partisan dimension to attitudes towards New York values. Republicans (37%) are significantly more likely than Democrats (10%) to say that New Yorkers have worse values than people in the rest of the country, though even Republicans tend to say that New York values are ‘as good’ as everyone else’s (42%).

d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/inlineimage/2016-01-20/ny4a.png

today.yougov.com/news/2016/01/22/most-americans-ok-new-york-values/

Did the governer of NY say this

Who are they? Are they these extreme conservatives who are right-to-life, anti-gay? Is that who they are? Because if that’s who they are and they’re the extreme conservatives, they have no place in the state of New York, because that’s not who New Yorkers are.

If he said this, then I guess Cuomo doesn’t think NY values are what I would consider good. And I’m assuming when he says “anti-gay”, he means against SSM.

I suspect that most New Yorkers are people who go to work every day, worry about paying their rent, utilities, food, etc, go to church on Sundays, etc, just like you and me. And like you and me, their opinions and way of life does not make it onto the front page of any newspaper or to Fox or MSNBC.

Face it, most New Yorkers are considered part of the great unwashed masses just like the rest of us are.

You assume correctly. And we’re not all alike either.

That New Yorkers en masse might be average doesn’t dispute that there are also New York values epitomized by elitists and the powerful that live in the city, the people that make the news and drive the media story.

New York has more 1%'ers than any other region in the country.

My dad used to have a saying:

“You find the people you’re looking for.”

the-american-catholic.com/2016/01/15/new-york-values/

Yes, yes, and yes.
Some people in NYC have wonderful values, some maybe don’t. It’s the same way everywhere, including Ted Cruz’s current home state of Texas. To generalize as he did is ludicrous.
And from a Canadian!!!

I think it is puzzling that Donald expressed being offended at being described as embodying New York values because Donald is the one who relied upon that characterization to describe his own views in an extensive interview with Tim Russert,” Cruz said.

That interview aired on NBC’s “Meet the Press” on October 24, 1999. You can watch it here.

In that conversation, Trump repeatedly said being a New Yorker affected his views on gay rights and abortion. Trump told Russert he had not made up his mind on same-sex marriage, but he said the idea of gays joining the military did not bother him.

I mean, hey, I lived in New York City and Manhattan all my life, OK? So, you know, my views are a little bit different than if I lived in Iowa perhaps, but it’s not something that would disturb me,” Trump said.

Trump similarly cited New York when Russert asked if he wanted to ban partial-birth abortion.

“Well, look, I’m — I’m very pro-choice. I hate the concept of abortion. I
hate it. I hate everything it stands for. I cringe when I listen to people debating the subject, but you still — I just believe in choice,” said Trump. “Again, it may be a little bit of a New York background because there is some different attitude in different parts of the country. And, you know, I was raised in New York, and grew up, and work, and everything else in New York City. But I am strongly for choice and yet I hate the concept of abortion.”

Trump later specified he would not ban partial-birth abortion.

yahoo.com/politics/ted-cruz-really-wants-you-to-watch-this-video-of-021724396.html

Its a great and good thing when a person reviews the state of their soul and repents for having adopted a sinful approach to life. Probably this happens to a person of Christian Faith quite often; and, so if there was a statement made in error - 15 at least years ago,
it would be very understandable. To berate a person for past wrong doings when they have changed for good is very wrong.

Confession is good for the soul! Keep the Faith!

The divine gift of repentance is a powerful blessing on humanity, which I think atheists conveniently ignore when they attack Christianity. So much easier to stereotype as young earth or flat earth.

As he has done in making deals, I think Trump has mastered the art of politics better than most other politicians. Among several other things, that art consists of flip-flopping, that is, being inconsistent in one’s views. Of course, masterful as he is, Trump is hardly alone among politicians with regard to inconsistency.

There’s a world of difference between the rich neighborhoods in Manhattan, like the Upper East Side, the Upper West Side, Greenwich Village, and pretty much everything below 96th Street, and the richer parts of Brooklyn, like Brooklyn Heights and DUMBO and Park Slope (although there are pockets of real poverty in there), one the one hand, and the blue-collar neighborhoods of Queens and Brooklyn and Staten Island and the Bronx, and the really poor parts of the Bronx and Brooklyn, on the other.

“New York” isn’t really one monolithic entity. Staten Island votes solidly Republican. A lot of Brooklyn and Queens do, too. Neighborhoods in Queens like Sunnyside and Woodside are pretty blue-collar. Queens is home to most of the immigrants, from all around the world, who flock to New York.

Brooklyn is weird. Parts of it (Park Slope, Brooklyn Heights, Cobble Hill, Carroll Gardens) have become more desirable than Manhattan. Some parts, like Brownsville or East New York, are desperately, horribly poor. Other neighborhoods (Gerritsen Beach comes to mind) are strange little villages that time has seemingly forgotten. In some parts of Williamsburg, if you close your eyes, you might think you’re in a shtetl in Eastern Europe, since all you’ll hear around you is Yiddish.

If Senator Cruz had said “Wall Street values,” I’d agree with him. But there’s no such thing as “New York values.”

Except maybe that we’re all in a hurry.

Great summary of this amazingly diverse city!

Puh-lease. How come I’m not surprised you bring this up, gilliam.

This is a non-issue. Trump straight out avoided what was actually said by Cruz. It wasn’t an attack on the state of NY. It was an insight on the politics that happen in boroughs like Manhattan and parts of Brooklyn. It was about NYC and nothing about the firefighters or policemen of the city. I’m from Chicago and when people say “Chicago values” when it comes to politics I understand them. I’m not offended. I don’t need neighborhood distinctions of Garfield Ridge vs Lincoln Park. The fact that NYers are so upset about this is highly amusing … And pathetic.

“What, you said NYers! You’re slamming the state and its good people!”
“Get over yourself and grow a pair. I’m talking about NYC.”
“But there’s SO many people in NYC you can’t generalize!”
“Yes I can. For those that don’t need hand holding I can. You know what I’m talking about. Don’t play stupid.”

Ben Shapiro talks about this pathetic “issue” - dailywire.com/podcasts/2695/ep-56-everyone-knows-what-new-york-values-are-so-ben-shapiro#listen.

I don’t think there is a divide between urban values and the rest of the country. If there weren’t there wouldn’t be such contempt from the East and West Coast establishments for “flyover country”.
See the book “What’s Wrong with Kansas” these people truly don’t understand why the electorates in some states vote for less welfare and regulation. Of course, they are perfectly happy to move to low-tax states once they retire.

:wave: hi estesbob. I have missed you posting! good article. thanks for the link.

I was confused by the first sentence, but I think I get where you’re going. And yes, in my experience there seems a huge misunderstanding by urbanites on why “flyover country” vote the way they do in terms of fiscal and welfare issues. It’s like learning a new language for them.

Speaking West Coast establishments. SF basically looks down on the entire country, even LA and NYC.

Thanks for the book rec. I read the Amazon premise and I feel like I’m going to have a headache if I ever read it.

A clear indication of the low esteem that many urbanites often have for those outside of their circle is indicated by Obama’s now infamous commentary to a SF crowd about ‘people clinging to their guns and religion’.
Unfortunately, large predominately liberals cities can write off the South and flyover country without having a lot of effect on their bottom line politically.

Republicans cannot and should not do the same with New York and urbanites in general. Cruz’s comments may play well in Texas, or Alberta, but to write off the cities, and failing to reach out to all Americans with conservative ideas and arguments is a formula for future disaster, given the changing demographics of America.

The fact is that New Yorkers have been reached by conservatives such as Rudy Guilliani, and they can be as open to conservative ideas as anybody else, if and when those ideas and ideals are properly presented. This has not only worked for Republicans, but for New Yorkers as well, whose city has been transformed into one of the safer large cities in America as a result.

Many rural areas have welfare rates and poverty rates that rival that of inner city neighborhoods. Rural places are often bigger takers from the federal government than they contribute in taxes. That is not values we need emulated.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.