Amid Trump surge, nearly 20,000 Mass. voters quit Democratic party [Boston Herald]

Amid Trump surge, nearly 20,000 Mass. voters quit Democratic party

Nearly 20,000 Bay State Democrats have fled the party this winter, with thousands doing so to join the Republican ranks, according to the state’s top elections official.

Secretary of State William Galvin said more than 16,300 Democrats have shed their party affiliation and become independent voters since Jan. 1, while nearly 3,500 more shifted to the MassGOP ahead of tomorrow’s “Super Tuesday” presidential primary.

Galvin called both “significant” changes that dwarf similar shifts ahead of other primary votes, including in 2000, when some Democrats flocked from the party in order to cast a vote for Sen. John McCain in the GOP primary.

The primary reason? Galvin said his “guess” is simple: “The Trump phenomenon,” a reference to GOP frontrunner Donald Trump, who polls show enjoying a massive lead over rivals Marco Rubio, Ted Cruz and others among Massachusetts Republican voters.

“The tenor of the Republican campaign has been completely different from what we’ve seen in prior Republican presidential campaigns,” Galvin said. “You have to look no farther than the viewership for some of the televised debates.

“The New York Times referred to the campaign as crude; I suppose that’s fair,” added Galvin, a Democrat. “The fact of the matter is the tenor has been very different this time. And that has an effect. People are interested. It’s exciting.”

Galvin said the state could see as many as 700,000 voting in tomorrow’s Republican primary, a significant number given just 468,000 people are actually registered Republicans. In Massachusetts. unenrolled — otherwise known as independent — voters can cast a ballot in the primary of any party.

Read More At: bostonherald.com/news/us_politics/2016/02/amid_trump_surge_nearly_20000_mass_voters_quit_democratic_party

I wonder, are they changing parties because they like Trump or if they perceive that Trump would be easier to beat in the General Election?

I think it is because many Democrats like Trump and think the prospect of his presidency is exciting. At the same time, I believe many Republicans are disenchanted with Trump and may either not vote at all or vote for the Democratic candidate. With these political shifts taking place, it promises to be an unusual general election.

I have to admit that I am still not sure which Republican I will vote for yet Waiting to see what happens tomorrow with Super Tuesday before I drop my mail in ballot in the mailbox for our election on the 22nd.
This is a strange election indeed, but I will not be casting my vote for Hillary.

Maybe the only one who could beat Trump now is Jerry Springer. He is the only one who could potentially reflect the values of the average American better than the Donald.

The cult of celebrity is what America is all about now.

You have any openings up there in Vancouver if Trump gets elected?

Don’t rub it in.
We are going to have to live with our mistakes, and, I’m afraid, you are going to have to live with them as well.
It’s beyond embarrassing. :frowning:
On a more positive note, as a Catholic, my ultimate focus is on what comes after…
But, let’s not hurry it; in God’s time, not ours.:thumbsup:

Primary results so far don’t support that view, but we’ll know better tomorrow.

So far the GOP has had record level primary voting while the Dem tally has been underwhelming.

I think the prospect of Hillary as POTUS will be seen as the greater evil causing die hard Dems to stay home yet Conservative Trump haters still reluctantly voting for the GOP ticket…

You’re a college professor, right? Have you noticed how the winds of politics fare in your college area? What’s happening right now?

I think we should look at this from a broader view, Donald Trump is not the exclusive reason why not just Mass but New England states have been rising in Independent voter population. There’s many factors beyond the phenom of Trump. In fact I would suggest he is the least of the motivating factors. These kind of swings simply happen in NE as was also true in 08 with Obama. However what is factual is in general peoples are identifying as Independent to a larger extent. I wouldn’t say exclusively Republican imho. Which I also think the OP somewhat indicates …

as many as 700,000 voting in tomorrow’s Republican primary, a significant number given just 468,000 people are actually registered Republicans. In Massachusetts. unenrolled — otherwise known as independent

This is true throughout NE.

My oldest brother lives in Florida and is switching parties to vote in the primary. He said there is a record number going on there.

He is doing it because he dislikes Hillary so much. He is a retired union guy who basically voted for whoever the union endorsed.

I hear you.

He is doing it because he dislikes Hillary so much.

This for sure is a prevailing attitude as we see there is a entire movement of;
“Democrats against Hillary” .

This is also something to watch with Mass as an endorsement by Warren at this junction would split the Democratic party further than it already is, but in reality she does support Bernie and really can’t tolerate Hillary either. :shrug:

boston.com/news/politics/2016/02/29/why-sen-elizabeth-warren-hasn-endorsed-candidate-yet/HxV4QTVxo8hvEAjNDCTXNK/story.html

Imho she is the true Democratic candidate who refused to run because of Hillary nonsense and secondary issues.

And btw don’t you find it a bit strange that at every critical voting junction the State Dept releases Hillary emails? Surely we are beyond coincidence with this and surely its not a Rep conspiracy.

reuters.com/article/us-clinton-emails-state-department-idUSMTZSAPEC2TBS46GX

The U.S. State Department released the final batch of Hillary Clinton’s emails on Monday from her time at the agency’s helm, bringing the final tally of emails it says contain classified information to more than 2,000.

The department has been regularly releasing batches of her work emails in keeping with a judge’s order. But Monday’s release of the final 1,700 messages does not end the controversy and legal uncertainty dogging Clinton’s Democratic presidential campaign since her use of a private email server came to light a year ago.

Amid Trump surge, nearly 20,000 Mass. voters quit Democratic party]

Are these the same voters who voted for Obama the last two elections? It doesn’t appear they have wizened up much.

Not if they’re voting for Trump they haven’t! LOL You’re right.

I agree with you. What a strange election when some Democrats are voting for Trump and some Republicans won’t consider him.

I don’t understand why the Democrats would change their party affiliation just because they like Trump. He’s almost certain to secure the nomination, and Democrats can vote for a Republican in the general election and vice versa. :shrug:

I didn’t know you were a college professor! I’m glad to see another one posting here. :thumbsup:

The people on “my” college campus support Sanders, for the most part, or Clinton, but I’m in a decidedly blue state. It almost always goes heavily Democratic, so I’m not surprised even though our students come from all over the world.

I think that’s a good point, that a lot of Democratic-leaning voters are voting for him because he’s the easiest one to beat. One of my left-leaning friends is cheering him on for that very reason.

In fact, the Boston Globe suggested, in their editorial endorsing Kasich, that a lot of Democratic-leading voters might do such a thing.

I realize we can’t put too much stock in polls, especially at this early stage, but a new CNN poll has both Bernie Sanders and Hillary Clinton beating Donald Trump in the general election in November, so you may very well be right. Clinton beats Trump as of today, but Sanders beats all the Republicans.

Although he stands no chance of being president, I’m glad Kasich got an endorsement. He seems honest and a guy who really does want to help the American people. The others, to me, at least, not so much, except for Sanders on the Democratic side.

I don’t understand this Trump mania, especially from people who should know better. If you think Obama went wild with his many Executive Orders, just wait and see what a President Trump would do. This man is so self-centered and I have yet to hear him mention the Constitution and the limits it places on government action one time. Good grief, has everyone gone completely nuts?

Democrats by and large do not care about the Constitution, so voting for a man like Trump is normal for them.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.