Amish in the city

I shouldn’t have, but last night I watched Amish in the City. It was horrible. They are exploiting and corrupting these Amish youth. The way the non-amish acted was demented, vicious, cruel, and vile. If I was one of their parents I would turn mine over my knee. I would be ashamed. Our culture is becoming toxic to religion.

[quote=cestusdei]Our culture is becoming toxic to religion.
[/quote]

Our culture is toxic, period.

:tsktsk: :tsktsk: :tsktsk:

Have you been to confession yet? :smiley:

I watched the Amish youth being interviewed on Good Morning America yesterday morning and I thought how sad it is, how sad it is. How sad that these wonderful people permitted themselves to be taken into this horrid world and be made fools of.

Now, get thee to a confessional. :tiphat:

Young Amish people are allowed a time where they can go out into the world and explore. Its a period of time where they can dress like the rest of the world, move into an apartment full of electric appliacnes and watch TV! They can smoke and drink and do whatever… This is see if the young person really wants to return to the Amish life or not.

I would assume this reality show corresponds to that ‘running around period’ that these young people are allowed to have.

If its any consolation…most of them return to the Amish life.

dream wanderer

I watched it. I found it ironic that the gay man said in the beginning (before they city kids knew about the amish kids) that the only thing he can’t stand are people who can’t accept you for who you are. When the Amish kids showed up, he said “I can not live here with them.” Can anyone say hypocrite?

I generally don’t watch reality TV… this “Amish in the City” sounds terrible! I watched bits and pieces of “simple Life” and it was disgusting. Our society glorifies such smut. The lack of respect those girls had for anything beyond themselves and material wealth was disgusting. I can’t believe there is a whole tv show about them traveling around acting like that. My husband described it well when he said “I would rather watch paint dry” I guess it must be PC to make fun of Amish kids?

Man those Amish girls are hot. Anyways, that aside, I don’t see how any one could act even the slightest bit out of line around Amish people. I would be so humbled and stuff that out of respect for them I would behave 110% around them and not **** on them like those kids did.

You gotta be careful with the Amish… not a good idea to make fools of them. I’m in Central Pennsylvania (pretty darn close to the Amish; in fact, an Amish supplier supplies my father with his workboots). They are very shrewd people. I have never seen this “Amish In The City” though; could anyone tell me how to find it?

The show was interesting. People do forget how we get our food, clothing, and roofs over our head. Maybe, the Amish are teaching the rest of the world what it is like to really work for a living. Though, I do not necessarily agree with everything they do, but you have to give them credit, because they got probably over a million viewers seeing and hearing about the Amish life, instead of just word of mouth, from your neighbor, or fellow employees.

[quote=dream wanderer]Young Amish people are allowed a time where they can go out into the world and explore. Its a period of time where they can dress like the rest of the world, move into an apartment full of electric appliacnes and watch TV! They can smoke and drink and do whatever… This is see if the young person really wants to return to the Amish life or not.

I would assume this reality show corresponds to that ‘running around period’ that these young people are allowed to have.

If its any consolation…most of them return to the Amish life.

dream wanderer
[/quote]

Wanderer,

rumspringa, or "running around’, the Pennsylvania Dutch term for the period to which you refer, is usually considerably less potentially head-turning than the circumstances to which these youths will be exposed via the tv series - that is my biggest issue with it. You are correct in suspecting that these “adventures” depicted on the show are occuring during the period of rumspringa for these young folks. It should also be noted that a few of the Old Order Amish districts (the area subject to a particular bishop) have been downplaying, controlling, or even eliminating rumspringa because it has evolved to a point where it is countenancing types of behavior that were never originally intended to be a part of the “experiences” in which the youth might engage prior to their reception into the church.

Previously, there was a documentary titled “Devil’s Playground” that focused on rumspringa as a rite of passage or time of decision, whichever you prefer. I believe it ran on PBS.

The absolute rudeness of several of the non-Amish on the City premiere was an appalling commentary on the unwillingness of American youth to accept difference among their peers.

Many years,

Neil

I’ve never seen a Reality TV show of any sort. As a working mom, I’m too busy to watch much TV anyway. I guess that’s a blessing. These shows sound dreadful. And this one–of which I’d never heard before perusing this thread–sounds like the worst of the lot. I, too, wonder why Amish parents would subject their kids to this.

May I bring up a related observation–well, not directly related, but still at least obliquely relevant? I think most of us tend to romanticize the Amish lifestyle; I know I certainly do. But recently, I was doing some Internet research on spiritual abuse. (My goddaughter was in a spiritually abusive “covenant community” for many years, so this is a topic of keen interest to me.) Anyway, I happened upon a collection of website narratives by former Amish detailing the rather horrific abuse they had received in Amish communities–spiritual, physical, and even sexual abuse, complete with systematic coverups by the higher-ups. I know it’s important to get both sides, but some of these stories seemed extremely credible. Because of my goddaughter’s bad experience, I’m very sensitive to the dangers inherent in a “closed community” situation, where the ruling powers have no accountability beyond themselves. The more closed and insular the community, the greater the danger. It’s almost a recipe for abuse.

One of these websites distinguished between more open-minded Amish communities–where abuse is less likely to occur–and more closed, ingrown ones, where the leaders’ least word is law and there isn’t an adequate system of accountability, of checks and balances. The horror stories were mostly associated with the latter type of community.

Anyway, I found this research very eye-opening. I no longer idealize and romanticize the Amish as I once did, that’s for sure.

All of that has no bearing whatsoever on whether or not this Reality Show is horribly exploitative. Clearly it is. No human beings should be exploited and publically humiliated in this way. It is indeed a sad commentary on our sick culture’s hostility toward religion.

My observation certainly wasn’t meant to defend or excuse this exploitative TV show. The show is indefensible. I simply wanted to take this opportunity to make a (tangentially) related point about the Amish.

I’d be interested to know if anyone else has received a somewhat more jaundiced impression of Amish culture. As I say, most of us–myself included–have been inclined to idealize “horse-&-buggy culture.” But apparently it has its dark side, too.

(Perhaps I should start another thread on this topic?)

ZT

[quote=ZoeTheodora]I’d be interested to know if anyone else has received a somewhat more jaundiced impression of Amish culture. As I say, most of us–myself included–have been inclined to idealize “horse-&-buggy culture.” But apparently it has its dark side, too.

(Perhaps I should start another thread on this topic?)

ZT
[/quote]

A former coworker grew up in a 2x2 family but no longer practices. I was curious and did some research in the internet and found sites similar to the ones you found on the Amish. Same kind of control and abuse, but it isn’t in every community. No religion, organization, community, etc. is immune to corruption.

I haven’t seen the show but I guessed it would be a show about exploiting and corrupting those who have values. People without moral/values get off on saying “gotcha!” when those who do have morals “slip” or “fall”.

Man those Amish girls are hot.

Look, I’m a straight man, but I have to say: that one Amish guy had the body of god! I mean, I don’t think I’ve ver seen the male body sculpted so beautifully . . .

And I say that in the most straight way possible . . .

. . . the body of a god . . .

:o

I caught this show, and I thought it was one of the better reality shows I’ve seen. It was interesting what modern things the Amish were and were not familiar with, but it was even more interesting and educational to hear from the Amish their attitudes and the rationale behind certain beliefs and practices.

As for the city kids, yes they are a bit self-centered and cruel. No doubt part of this is the editing. But the viewers don’t share the perspective of the city kids - on the contrary, we see just how narrow-minded they are, and identify much more with the Amish.

I think this show is contrived, but pretty well done.
Here’s a more thorough review which I think is pretty fair from the Christian Science Monitor:
Amish in the City: Nobody drives buggies in L.A.

[quote=DominvsVobiscvm]Look, I’m a straight man, but I have to say: that one Amish guy had the body of god! I mean, I don’t think I’ve ver seen the male body sculpted so beautifully . . .

And I say that in the most straight way possible . . .

. . . the body of a god . . .

[/quote]

This says a lot for clean living.

Also, that sculpting would be real. I doubt very much there are Nautilus machines in the barns.

Also, that sculpting would be real. I doubt very much there are Nautilus machines in the barns.

Would it be normal for me, a straight guy, to be drooling right now?

Um, not that I* am * drooling, but . . .

. . .

. . .

Man, I really need to get out of doing theatre!

[quote=DominvsVobiscvm]Would it be normal for me, a straight guy, to be drooling right now?

Um, not that I* am * drooling, but . . .

. . .

. . .
[/quote]

You’re cutecutecute! And obviously secure in your manhood.

I have no idea what your last post meant. :confused:

I’m an aspiring actor (currently studying theatre performance in college); acting is a mileu where . . . um . . . certain vices run rampant.

Man, sounds like I’m the only one who found this show to be one of the few shows out there that teach the Gospel???

I mean… the Amish folk display their values… and the city folk display theirs. We get to see the contrast.

I was heartbroken when the city folk made fun of that Amish guy who could have drowned while he was swimming in the ocean until (was it an Amish?) young woman brought him in to shore. That blatant ugliness of making fun of someone was made crystal clear!!

I was also overjoyed when I saw that city guy teach that Amish gal how to swim in that pool. He teaches kids how to swim (I think he does that in his job). He offered to teach her and she accepted. The entire time he was teaching her (now, remember, she’s wearing a two-piece swimsuit like every other woman on the show was wearing – I don’t because to me, 2-piece swimsuits have always looked like underwear). He showed SUCH respect for her! He was NOT coming on to her… just teaching her step by step how to swim. It was actually quite tender to see!

The end of that first episode (last week), the city folk were given the task to wear Amish style clothing and walk around in public with the Amish – all this in (I think it was downtown?) Los Angeles. They got a REAL experience of the proverbial (and actual) shoe on the other foot.

This first episode showed real counter-point between the two cultures… I can’t wait to see the next (second) episode!!

Um… folks… before you make comments on a TV show, please watch it.

It is on UPN (a cable channel).

upn.com/shows/amish_in_the_city/

csmonitor.com/2004/0726/p12s01-altv.html

:twocents:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.