Amore

sorry if this has been up before, but wanted to go over -
what is love?

also, if anyone knows them or has them - what are the Latin words for the different kinds of love?

to expand this discussion or rather narrow it down
how do we know what is love between woman and man and how does this differ from other forms of love?

What is love?

[quote=1 Cor 13]4] Love is patient and kind; love is not jealous or boastful;
5] it is not arrogant or rude. Love does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful;
6] it does not rejoice at wrong, but rejoices in the right.
7] Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.
8] Love never ends; as for prophecies, they will pass away; as for tongues, they will cease; as for knowledge, it will pass away.
[/quote]

Now I can’t get that awful old Dean Martin song out of my head:

When the moon hits your eye
Like a big pizza pie
That’s amore . . . .

Hahaha I was going to post the lyrics to that song!

I believe 3 of the greek words are

filia (filios?) - friendship
eros - romantic/erotic/lustful (I think all of these involve eros to some extent)
agape - purest form, like the love of God

I forget what the last one is, and I’m sure that someone else can explain them better and more fully than I can, but this is at least a quick overview of how I understand them.

As for the kind of love between a married couple, I believe it is supposed to include both eros and agape, although be primarily agape, although, again, please feel free to correct me on this. :slight_smile:

There are a bunch of Greek words for love

agápe, éros, philía, and storgē

[LIST]
*]ἀγάπη agápē - unconditional love

*]ἔρως érōs - erotic love (though eros is much deeper than that - it can include passionate desire for oneness with God too)

*]φιλία philía - friendship

*]στοργή storgē - affection
[/LIST]

Agreed. That song is awful. And I still can’t get away from it because of that awful UPS ad family that uses that same tune for singing about “logistics.” Ick.

Anyway, tangent aside. Carry on.

So “eros” is really passionate love, whether or not that includes sexual over- / undertones, correct? That would make a lot of sense. Interesting how different languages / cultures blend / separate concepts into words.

i love that song, dino rocks:D

The Latin word for agape love is caritas, from which is derived the word charity. It’s compassion, self-sacrificing love.

you’re welcome! I enjoy that song:cool:
it was not the reason I put it though. I just liked the idea of using the Italian word.

[quote=thewanderer]believe 3 of the greek words are

filia (filios?) - friendship
eros - romantic/erotic/lustful (I think all of these involve eros to some extent)
agape - purest form, like the love of God

I forget what the last one is, and I’m sure that someone else can explain them better and more fully than I can, but this is at least a quick overview of how I understand them.
[/quote]

[quote=triumphguy]There are a bunch of Greek words for love

agápe, éros, philía, and storgē

ἀγάπη agápē - unconditional love
ἔρως érōs - erotic love (though eros is much deeper than that - it can include passionate desire for oneness with God too)
φιλία philía - friendship
στοργή storgē - affection

[/quote]

thank you both - triumphguy & thewanderer. I was thinking latin but perhaps it was greek instead. :confused:
anyways this is exactly what I was looking for! I am having a conversation about this with a friend and wanted to ensure I have all my points right.

[quote=AthenaC]So “eros” is really passionate love, whether or not that includes sexual over- / undertones, correct? That would make a lot of sense. Interesting how different languages / cultures blend / separate concepts into words.
[/quote]

This is a very good inquiry. I too am having some problems in comparing what is taught (Catholicism) and what the word originally meant.

[quote=davidv]1 Cor 13
[/quote]

thank you david, this is very helpful :thumbsup:

carnitas?

thank you. this helps.

I think this might be a limitation of our culture, which has two extremes: 1) puritanism; and 2) liberal sexual attitudes. Either way, passion is inextricably linked with sex. And that’s sad, because we are missing out on experiencing passion in ways that are broader than just sex.

Eventually, I got ‘That’s Amore’ out of my head, except I made the mistake of checking out responses to the thread and it’s back. :frowning:

from basic concept of “love”, can we love animals?

to clarify, I do not mean as in a man & woman, but as a mother and child or siblings. many people say they do, but is the context of the word in such use inadequate or simply a less meaningful definition s(i.e. deep likeness to)

Yes, but not in the same way we are called to love humans.

[quote=CCC]2418 It is contrary to human dignity to cause animals to suffer or die needlessly. It is likewise unworthy to spend money on them that should as a priority go to the relief of human misery. One can love animals; one should not direct to them the affection due only to persons.
[/quote]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.