Amy Klobuchar Can’t Name President of Mexico, Despite Voting for USMCA

Amy Klobuchar Can’t Name President of Mexico, Despite Voting for USMCA

Amy Klobuchar (Alex Wong / Getty)

Alex Wong / Getty

JOEL B. POLLAK

14 Feb 2020

Sen. Amy Klobuchar (D-MN) could not name the president of Mexico when asked to do so by a Telemundo reporter in Las Vegas, Nevada, on Thursday evening.

Earlier this year, Klobuchar voted for the U.S.-Mexico-Canada Agreement (USMCA) in the Senate, noting the importance of Mexico to the U.S. economy. . . .

. . . Billionaire left-wing donor Tom Steyer also attended, as did former South Bend, Indiana, Mayor Pete Buttigieg. Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-VT) addressed the forum on video.

As the AFP reported, neither Klobuchar nor Steyer came up with the right answer, and Buttigieg seemed uncertain:

“I forgot,” said billionaire Steyer, when asked if he could name Mexico’s president.

“No,” admitted Klobuchar, a senator from Minnesota.

Showing them up was Pete Buttigieg, the former South Bend, Indiana mayor and youngest of the eight candidates battling for the Democratic presidential nomination.

“Lopez Obrador… I hope,” he answered, hesitatingly.

Recent polls show that Democrats are locked in a tight race in Nevada ahead of the caucuses on Feb. 22. . . .

I think it’s more important that she knows what she voted for. Leaders come and go.

1 Like

ProVobis . . . .

I think it’s more important that she knows what she voted for. Leaders come and go.

Yep. I’m not attempting to say her lack of knowledge is important or unimportant (in this case).

Just putting up the story.

She has certainly surprised with her recent good showings in the primaries.

2 Likes

I’m not for Amy but I’m not sure if this is a big deal.

Herman Cain for example was asked about the “right of return” and Israel/Palestine back in 2011-12. I didn’t know that either.

Do we really get a lot of news in the mainstream on Andrés Manuel López Obrador, we should but we don’t.

How many can name the leaders of various countries, Russia, France, Japan, Australia, South Africa, Argentina and so on?

Granted, she is a Senator and probably should know some of these things but I don’t know if it is a real big deal.

1 Like

Victoria33 . . .

I’m not for Amy but I’m not sure if this is a big deal.

You are right Victoria33. It is not a big deal.

But a week or so ago America’s left were telling us what a big deal it was if President Trump got the place where a football team was from wrong concluding he did not know geography.

We heard some of that even here on CAF by some.

So in the same vein, I just knew at least people who think that way . . .

(I know you don’t think that way Victoria33. But others do.)

. . . this type of thing IS a big deal.

So now they can criticize Amy too.

They, er, ah, WILL criticize Amy too. Right?

A very small subset of the “left.” Most realized it was no big deal - even the progressives.

2 Likes

LeafByNiggle . . . .

Most realized it was no big deal

I think you are right.

But a significant minority of those on the left tried to make hay out of it.

But the two situations aren’t analogous.

Trump’s tweet was wrong because of “cultural literacy”. He didn’t know there were two Kansas Citys.

Klobuchar is wrong because, hey, IT’S MEXICO. She’s on the Commerce committee, for Pete’s sake. She should definitely know.

Both are wrong.

PaulinVA . . . .

But the two situations aren’t analogous.

Thanks Paul for making my point.

Paul . . .

Trump’s tweet was wrong because of “cultural literacy”. He didn’t know there were two Kansas Citys.

You have no idea of this.

It may show he lacks NFL literacy.

It probably just shows he made a mistake.

To all others. I rest my case.

I have no problem agreeing with you where appropriate.

He is the leader of the free world. His every utterance is dissected by multiple world powers, intelligence services, etc. He should know better. It’s not NFL, it’s US knowledge. I saw the Chiefs, and asked my son (who knows all things sports) which KC they were based in. We ended up looking it up.

I would expect no less from the President.

Actually, pro tip, if he would put his phone down from now till the election he would probably win. His need to constantly roil things up has, and is, dragging him down and keeping him with high disapproval numbers.

PaulinVA . . .

He is the leader of the free world. His every utterance is dissected by multiple world powers

Good night Paul this is so melodramatic.

The guy made a mistake.

Amy made a mistake not doing her homework before interviewing with a Latino television network (as did Buttigieg who was reduced to guessing).

Styer? Who cares? He is paying to be up there so he can hob nob with Bernie.
It’s the most expensive “autograph” in history but who cares if he is a Bernie follower? It’s his money.

Styer will have some nice pictures to show his own grandchildren someday assuming they survive Styer’s favored self-destructive public abortion policies (abortion on demand) that are already in place by Government.

It does really matter.
Bernie Sanders is going to gain the Democratic Party nomination, which will assure that Donald Trump will be re-elected.

Okay, we disagree. I’m old enough to remember when every utterance, every statement, from a President was carefully crafted and vetted.

PaulinVA . . .

I’m old enough to remember when every utterance, every statement, from a President was carefully crafted and vetted.

That would not eliminate this from being a simple mistake Paul.

But Amy’s public policy gaffe was not a mistake.
It was self-admitted ignorance.

And Buttigieg had to guess (his was ignorance too. Just not as deeply ignorant as Amy’s is).

Look. I don’t see any of this as that big of a deal. Amy or Pete are not going to be President. And Trump making a mistake about an NFL team’s locale is a “yawner”.

But you apparently think that is yuuuuge with Trump, and not relevant with Amy.

And all I am rhetorically pointing out here is, your position is merely political.

At least that’s what your actions say to me.

You are in essence saying (from my vantage point) . . .

It’s a big deal that Trump made an NFL thing mistake cuz I don’t like Trump.

But it is a nuthin muffin that Amy can’t even get the President of a neighboring country down, even though she says she has “worked on” legislation concerning Mexico (who knows what THAT means outside of her signing off on a stack of papers she was handed that she probably never read)
because I like Amy as she is a Democrat.

That is what your ACTIONS say (to me at least).

I said they both were wrong. I might even say that Amy’s gaff was worse because she should have seen it coming - shows poor advance work. She should have known anyway - she’s a US Senator on the Commerce committee.

I think you’re reading into what I said what you want to, for the sake of arguing.

Just to be snarky, is self-admitted ignorance (Amy) better than unknown ignorance (Trump)?

Stranger things have happened. I know a lot of people (me included) who would vote for a broken roomba that only went in one direction if it was running against Trump.

PaulinVA . . . .

I might even say that Amy’s gaff was worse because she should have seen it coming

I agree it was worse. Not only should she see it coming, but she should just plain old know given her situation.

I think you’re reading into what I said what you want to, for the sake of arguing.

Look. I’m OK if you want to think that based on my actions. You, just like me, have gotta have the freedom to draw your own conclusions not just from what people say, but from their actions.

And not necessarily merely from their actions on one thread.

I’m good with it Paul. :+1:

PaulinVA being “snarky” . . .

Just to be snarky, is self-admitted ignorance (Amy) better than unknown ignorance (Trump)?

I’m fine with the snarkiness against me here too.

Yes self-admitted ignorance on foreign policy for a Senator is worse (just as you have now admitted) than a mistake about an NFL team by a President.

Much worse.

That being said, I don’t think either of them are big deals.

But can Obrador pronounce “Klobuchar”? Does he know who she is? Does he care?

2 Likes

Ultimately, Lopez Obrador does care who wins. At the moment, he is likely having to do some things he would rather not do because Trump is leaning on him. So I would not be surprised if he had a preference for a Democrat candidate. But I doubt we’ll see him express that as he doesn’t need the trouble he would get in with Trump.

Since Mexico is one heck of a big neighbor, trading partner and hugest source of migrants, there are many who definitely need to know who is running things south of the border.

2 Likes

Full confession: I only learned how to pronounce ‘Buttigieg’ a few days ago.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.