Amy Winehouse r.i.p

Tragic loss. What a voice. Just tragic.

nme.com/news/various-artists/58212

R.I.P.

She was too young to die. If only she had been able to get well (sober), she could have accomplished so many great things.

Do you know if it had anything to do with her alcohol addiction?

Eternal rest grant unto her O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon her. May she rest in peace. Amen.

Such a sad story. A sad waste of a beautiful talent.
Eternal rest grant her Lord.
And Mercy.

Amen

Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death. Amen.

:signofcross:

If there are any other musicians in the house, lets play her off the stage with Rehab.
Goodbye Amy, thanks for the kicks baby.:harp::heaven:

tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/a/amy_winehouse/rehab_crd.htm

Artist: Amy Winehouse amywinehouse.co.uk/
Track: Rehab
Tabber: Woodshed

CHORUS

C

They try to make me go to rehab I say no no no

C
Yes, I've been black but when I come back you'll know, know, know

G F
I ain't got the time and if my daddy thinks I'm fine

C F C
He's tried to make me go to rehab I won't go go go

VERSE 1

E Am
I’d rather be at home with Ray

F Ab
I ain’t got seventy days

E Am
Cos there’s nothing, there's nothing you can’t teach me

F Ab
That I can’t learn from Mr Hathaway

G
I didn’t get a lot in class

F

But I know it don’t come in a shot glass

CHORUS

C

C

G F

C F C

VERSE 2

E Am
The man said why do you think you here?

F Ab
I said I got no idea

E Am
I’m gonna, I'm gonna lose my baby

F Ab
So I always keep a bottle near

G
He said I just think you’re depressed

F
Yes me, yeah baby, and the rest

CHORUS

C

C

VERSE 3

E Am
I don’t ever want to drink again

F Ab
I just, ooh I just need a friend

E Am
I’m not gonna spend ten weeks

F Ab
And have everyone think I’ve gone mad

G
And it’s not just my pride

F
It’s just til these tears have dried

CHORUS

C

C

G F

C F C

Its a travesty yes. But she wasn't that good of a singer.

Seriously she couldn't hold a candle to the likes of Harriet Wheeler, Sarah McLachlan, Patricia Barber, Alison Krauss, or Charlotte Church.

Hey shes on mtv when and if they play a music video, she abused alcohol, and she was controversial. Now shes dead. She was great! No. She wasnt. Same bunch of morons who called Heath Ledger a 'genius' for playing a comic book character and then dies in real life out of stupidity. I know stupid is 'cool', but when someone dies because of it, that's when we should stop the front. Lets not romanticize it or make mediocre artists something they're not because of a rebellious 'devil may care' life style.

Lord have mercy on her.

[quote="Fidi, post:7, topic:249470"]
Its a travesty yes. But she wasn't that good of a singer.

Seriously she couldn't hold a candle to the likes of Harriet Wheeler, Sarah McLachlan, Patricia Barber, Alison Krauss, or Charlotte Church.

Hey shes on mtv when and if they play a music video, she abused alcohol, and she was controversial. Now shes dead. She was great! No. She wasnt. Same bunch of morons who called Heath Ledger a 'genius' for playing a comic book character and then dies in real life out of stupidity. I know stupid is 'cool', but when someone dies because of it, that's when we should stop the front. Lets not romanticize it or make mediocre artists something they're not because of a rebellious 'devil may care' life style.

Lord have mercy on her.

[/quote]

Whoa!, you nearly hit me with all those stones your throwing. Who are you to judge her like that? For all you know she may be playin' a rockin' concert with G-d on the sax and 4,000 Cherubim backing her up on a huge stack of Marshals blasting out "Proud Mary". She was made the way she was for a purpose, flaws and all. You don't have any clue what her relationship with G-d was. Nor can you infer it from what you have heard in the media. Not cool dude, not cool.:mad:

Actually there are pretty simple ways we can know her heart. The Bible says the way people know if that they have a relationship with Christ is by their fruits.
James 1:26 says: "If anyone thinks he is religious and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his heart, this person’s religion is worthless."
James 2:17 says: "faith without works is dead"
If their works don’t match what their faith says then they lie to themselves and God and others and that’s how we know the intricacies of their relationship with Christ. So while we don’t actually know what might have happened in her life in the last few minutes or even days, we know by her fruits and by the things she publicly stood for. She constantly glorified drugs and ultimately died of an overdose. Those were the fruits that she beared. There is no celebrating death, especially not, when looking at her fruits, she is likely not in communion with Christ.

[quote="warpspeedpetey, post:8, topic:249470"]
Whoa!, you nearly hit me with all those stones your throwing. Who are you to judge her like that? For all you know she may be playin' a rockin' concert with G-d on the sax and 4,000 Cherubim backing her up on a huge stack of Marshals blasting out "Proud Mary". She was made the way she was for a purpose, flaws and all. You don't have any clue what her relationship with G-d was. Nor can you infer it from what you have heard in the media. Not cool dude, not cool.:mad:

[/quote]

Well actually I dont think theyd even touch something like that.

Tchaikovsky's Cherubic Hymn, Rachmaninoff's Mercy of Peace, Handel's Comfort Ye, Bach's Mass in B minor, that I could see.

Typically alcoholics dont have good relations, if any with the Creator. Its through a relationship where they break the cycle of addiction.

Proud Mary? Really.... Banal feces.

Yes. Of what spirit is therein so are the fruits thereof.

Couldnt have said it better.

[quote="warpspeedpetey, post:8, topic:249470"]

[/quote]

I agree 100% with not judging her. Who are ANY of us to do that? I was pretty sad when I found out about this. She may not have been my favorite singer, but I do recognize her talent. Now I can only hope that she can find and rest in peace, because her actions on this earth didn't seem to indicate she felt at peace here. Lord, have mercy on her soul; and far from 'romanticizing' her story now that she's gone, let us just find it in ourselves to show some compassion towards her.

[quote="jgrass, post:9, topic:249470"]
.... She constantly glorified drugs and ultimately died of an overdose. Those were the fruits that she beared. ........ she is likely not in communion with Christ.

[/quote]

Addiction is a disease and the simple use of drugs is not in and of itself immoral. Your assumption that the use of drugs or even an accidental overdose is evidence that she did not have or had a poor relationship with G-d is baseless.

Second, the fruits of her life that were obviously evil, cohabitation, fornication, and promotion of the homosexual agenda, et al. were her sins to bear and you have no idea if she repented.

If you want to quote Scripture at me I would point out the Master said only he who is without sin can throw a stone.

[quote="warpspeedpetey, post:13, topic:249470"]
Addiction is a disease and the simple use of drugs is not in and of itself immoral. Your assumption that the use of drugs or even an accidental overdose is evidence that she did not have or had a poor relationship with G-d is baseless.

Second, the fruits of her life that were obviously evil, cohabitation, fornication, and promotion of the homosexual agenda, et al. were her sins to bear and you have no idea if she repented.

If you want to quote Scripture at me I would point out the Master said only he who is without sin can throw a stone.

[/quote]

Beautifully said. :) And I wish you would post it in another thread I'm thinking of but it would only fall on deaf ears.

May her soul and all the souls of the faithful departed rest in peace. Amen.

What makes you think that G-d shares your taste in music? How do you know he isn’t into Supertramp and the Beegees? How do you know that an alcoholic doesn’t have a good relationship with G-d? Do you think G-d is mad at the addict for his brain chemistry? For the things in his life that drove him to drink excessively? Its a sin to drink excessively but ike I told the other guy, the Master says not to throw stones.

Yeah, I was really shocked when I heard it. It is really weird. I spent the night watching a lot of her videos on Youtube two nights ago and really felt sorry for her. I watched her old videos when she was still really good and hoped she would get back on her feet one day and do some new recordings.
Oddly I read the usual hate comments on Youtube that she will die soon anyway, and I hoped this won’t be the case but somehow had a bad feeling. I certainly didn’t think it would happen so fast though.
I think she was too sensitive for the sudden fame. Her insecurity led to her drug and alcohol problems.
So people who judge her should try to imagine how tough it is being famous and in the spotlight all of a sudden. I can imagine that this situation can really be too much for some people to cope with.

“The more insecure I feel, the more I drink,” she said, when asked about her rapid weight loss.
I love this unplugged version of her: youtube.com/watch?v=eu7uPHtTJ4o&playnext=1&list=PL0AD5F6FEA1C778C3

Btw, I posted a prayer thread for Amy earlier:forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=583017

[quote="CatholicFireman, post:14, topic:249470"]
Beautifully said. :) And I wish you would post it in another thread I'm thinking of but it would only fall on deaf ears.

May her soul and all the souls of the faithful departed rest in peace. Amen.

[/quote]

Amen to that brother, I tremble at my own salvation to much to worry about others faults.

I’m with you on that, brother.

I hope she found some peace too. That’s what music and drugs are really all about, escaping reality.

How very Christian of you.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.