An after Death Experience with a twist

This story is inferring that someone, after death, came to caress his dying daughter and to show her things in the future? Mind you she herself died shortly afterwards. I do find these stories strange and seem to go against the teachings of the Catholic faith and other organised religions.

*At around 4am that morning, my father gave an audible sigh. It was loud enough to wake my mother, who sleepily assumed that he was having a bad dream.
But he wasn’t. That sigh was his final breath as he died.
No one, least of all my father, had known he was ill.

There was, however, one person who knew about Dad’s death well before Mum did: my sister Katharine, who lived 100 miles away and was herself suffering from terminal breast cancer.
‘On the night of my father’s death,’ she told mourners at his memorial service some weeks later, ‘I had an extraordinary spiritual experience.
‘It was about 4.30am and I couldn’t sleep, when all of a sudden I began having this amazing experience. For the next two hours, I felt nothing but joy and healing. I felt hands on my head, and experienced vision after vision of a happy future.’

When she awoke that morning, she’d described them to her teenage son Graeme as she drove him to school. Among the visions of the future, she told him, was one of his own child — a yet- to-be conceived five-month-old granddaughter — whom she’d played with on her bedroom floor.
It wasn’t till Katharine got back home that my mother phoned to tell her Dad had just died.
Suddenly, she knew the reason for the powerful surge of energy and joy she’d felt in her bedroom, the sense of someone there. ‘I now know that it was my father,’ she said.

Without discussing it, we were convinced as a family that Dad had done something of great emotional elegance.
He’d seized a mysterious opportunity to go to his very sick daughter, to caress her and calm her, before heading on his way.
A month later, in early April, a scan revealed that Katharine’s cancer had spread to her bones and liver. In the final ten days of her life, in a hospice, she looked gorgeous, as if lit from within.
Sometimes, she’d have happy, whispered conversations with a person I couldn’t see. At other times, she’d stare at the ceiling as a full panoply of expressions played across her face: puzzled, amused, sceptical, surprised, becalmed — like a spectator watching a heavenly light show.
‘It’s so interesting,’ she began one morning, but she couldn’t find the words to describe what she’d seen.

Read more: dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2630927/At-gates-heaven-A-new-book-drawing-stories-dying-patients-doctors-transform-way-think-final-days.html#ixzz32CY5t7xe
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

I didn’t read anything in that that contradicted the Church… what is it that you thought was contradictory.

Good story either way.

Hmmm, yes I also cannot find anything on this story that “troubles” my Catholic “sensibilities”.
Nice story non the less.

I read all the stories. Didn’t find anything in any of them that contradicted Catholic teaching. I think the phenomena is interesting. But I don’t think we should attach too much to it.

Linus2nd

I find these kinds of stories faith-affirming and I have read hundreds of them.

A relative, who has effectively left the church, sent the link to me. People who do not believe in organised religion use such stories to ‘prove’ that anyone can get to heaven. There is no mention of religion with any story yet all dying people see friends, they’re going home, angels etc…

Personally, I would not have read the story myself.

My response in relation to the first story was that God must have sent her the dream on her Father’s passing, due to the suddenness of his death and as she too would die shortly after, so as to help the surviving family bear their loss. As such stories help support non-believers stance, I was attempting to steer the stories back to ‘having’ to believe in God and his Church, i.e. that not ‘everyone’ goes to heaven.

I hope this makes sense.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.