An alternative to abortion?

i was doing some family reaserch and noticed several relatives listed as basket babies (those found on doorsteps) and it gave me and idea for an alternative for abortion.

In england you dont have to prove that the baby is yours when you register the birth ‘you just turn up and say this is my baby it is x days old its name shall be’ also there is no legal obligation to give the fathers name. however if you addvertised you were doing this i would think youd get a call from the boys in blue.

So i thought we could set up a network of “basket families”. people that would take the baby in and claim it as their own (perhaps they may not beable to conceive their own). that way girls that have unwanted pregnancys (eg. through rape) and cant keep the child could go to the preist and he would match them up with a “basket family” on the day of birth the girl delivers the baby in a basket with any medical history and details of where born ectra and any momentoes she wants to leave (eg . photo , leter for when the child is older) to the preist. the “basket family” would then pick up the child and bring them up as there own . how mutch contact the birth mother has can be arranged befor the birth and both parties could remain annonymouse if they wished .

this way the baby gets to grow up in a stable loving enviroment with out going throught the disruption and posible trauma of the care system . childless couples wont have to go through ivf abortion is avoided and the child is garentied a catholic upbringing. (not garentied in england as you arnt allowed to take the children with you to church without getting their consent , one couple who took a 2 year old to church has been struck of the fostering list for ’ riligouce bigotry and discrimination against other faiths’ the argument was that by takeing a child to church so young they will grow up wanting to be catholic and wont get the chance to choose another option, and thats abuse of humanrites!:eek:)

so i was wondering what you thought of the idea is it viable ethical ectra…

Uhm, the minute Gordon Brown et al find out you’d be in deep trouble! Social services would take the child away and find foster families…This thing happened in the 1970s with informal black-to-white fostering and all the children were taken from these loving families! I don’t think you can do it, sadly.

There are “safe haven” (“baby Moses laws”) laws in the USA in many states… where infants under 3 or 4 days can be left at hospitals and firestations without any questions asked. They are taken into foster care with the state…

I do like your idea, though… having some sort of program set up for families to specifically take in these very young infants (maybe one already exists… I really don’t know much about the safe haven laws or foster care laws :shrug:)… but it may help move local adoptions through in faster and less complicated way…

This sounds like a great idea.

Having said that, it disturbs me that we accept that we can leave babies at doorsteps and think that it’s morally acceptable. Is it better than abortion? OF COURSE! But it still disturbs me.

Maybe I’m wrong to think that way…

My county alone has several “safe” houses where unwed mothers can place their baby. I don’t say abandon because the child is saved from abortion, and the baby is later placed for adoption through the state foster system. However, for the “No questions asked” law to be applied, the baby must be unharmed.

as far as i am aware safe houses dont exsist in england. though i shall reaserch this. i hadent heard of them befor , still you cant be garentied who the child grows up with and how long untill it gets addopted.

as for mr brown et al finding out , of course it wouldnt be advertised just one of those things that the parish knew of word of mouth so to speek, also i had figured that in sutch a highly sexed society that we live in where children of all creads and colours can be found in one family and where one night stands are the norm the general public wouldnt bat an eyelid at a mixed family. (idealy there would be enought different basket families to house any coulour of child therefor avoiding suspicion) wether you could convince people that you were pregnant is a different matter:hmmm: photos from the scan would help…

i do realise this plan needs a lot more thought . i wanted to get peoples veiws befor embarking on such a crusade.

I appreciate the care and concern for unwanted babies you have but I think you’re forgetting something here.

These babies are innocent and helpless. Any agency, including the Catholic Church, needs to make certain that they are given to reliable couples. Social Services and established charitable organizations have mechanisms in place to do this. You can’t just give a baby to people who seem nice and say they want him!

There are also mechanisms in place through attorneys for private adoptions, but these also require home studies to make certain the babies are going to a good home.

There are really plenty of options for a new mother to give up her unwanted child for adoption, including just leaving the child behind at the hospital. I don’t think women choose abortion b/c they don’t know that adoption is an option.

Often they don’t want to deal with the pregnancy or the stigma of “giving away” their child. It’s sad that women are often looked down upon more for giving up a child to adoption than for abortion. And many of them think that way themselves. And, of course, an abortion can be done privately so that no one ever needs to know of the pregnancy. Not so when a child is carried to term and then given up for adoption.

So, a good idea to some degree, but there are already many organizations providing adoption services. And of course many, many more couples wanting to adopt than babies available.

The biggest concern is that who is going to decide that the people these infants are given to are fit parents? Who will be held responsible for mistakes that might happen? How do you know if any of the adoptive parents have criminal records that make them ineligible to adopt. At least with formal adoptions they do criminal background checks and make sure no one has a record of domestic violence, child abuse, sex crimes ect.

OP - I guess I just don’t understand what would make your idea different from any adoption agency :shrug: Other than the paperwork, although I see more benefits to the paperwork for everyone (mostly the mother) than not.

the main difference would be that the mother would be secure in the knowledge that her child would be brought up as a catholic . being a practicing catholic probably dosent exclude you from addopting in america but in england our goverment is rabidly anti cristian , they shut down an addoption agency called catholic families because “the agency in placing these children solely in catholic addoptive/foster families is being out right and unabashidly racist” even thought the agency was only used by catholics to ensure that the catholic children in question wernt placed in an anti christian home.

of course checks would be put in place to ensure those people wanting to become basket families were sutable i a gree that paper work ensures safety i just want to cut out the red tape that prevents religeouce freedom .

at the moment (and am only getting this bit from friend who are in the care system themselves , so if you can prove me wrong go ahed ) jewish foster families can put a child throught their bar/bat mitzva without hinderence they can insist that a mazzuma is hung in the door way of the childs bedrooom and that they were one of those litle black boxes containing verses of the torah on their head , but a child in a christian foster family who expresses an intrest in baptism is offered councling given a talking to to ensure that they havent been brainwashed and (in this case) removed from the foster family when the child maintained that getting baptised was their idea and more importantly their wish .

im not shure who would be accountable if things did go wrong as i mentioned earlyer this idea is just an idea i wanted to bounce it arround so to speek.

smsmom i admitt that most people who abort wouldnt consider addoption whatever the form however ther is a small pecentage of people out there that dont see the current adoption system as an option . i know because i was one (feal free to rain fire and brimstone you cant make me feal any worse about it than i already do ). i was raped when i was 13 and fell pregnant i had had my first period only two months before , i have a lot of friends who are in the care system all of whom had horror storys from being forced into a religion they didnt want to being denied baptism through to the endless cycling of institutions never being adopted or fostered , non of them had a good story and all of them said (regularly) they would have been beter of left for dead . i didnt want that mental and emotional trauma for my child i was not aware of moses laws or private addoption , what i did know was that in every school coridor in every gp office and all over the tv abortion was portrayed as the humane alternative . if someone had sat down with me and said that actualy there is and agency / way out there to ensure that your child will be brought up a christian in a loving family then i wouldnt have gone ahead and killed my child .

maybe what we need isnt another agency maybe its better publication of the opptions . but if we dont do somthing more confused young girls out there are going to abort because there is no other way in there eyes.and they are going to hate themselves the rest of their lives for it .

the main difference would be that the mother would be secure in the knowledge that her child would be brought up as a catholic . being a practicing catholic probably dosent exclude you from addopting in america but in england our goverment is rabidly anti cristian , they shut down an addoption agency called catholic families because “the agency in placing these children solely in catholic addoptive/foster families is being out right and unabashidly racist” even thought the agency was only used by catholics to ensure that the catholic children in question wernt placed in an anti christian home.

of course checks would be put in place to ensure those people wanting to become basket families were sutable i a gree that paper work ensures safety i just want to cut out the red tape that prevents religeouce freedom .

at the moment (and am only getting this bit from friend who are in the care system themselves , so if you can prove me wrong go ahed ) jewish foster families can put a child throught their bar/bat mitzva without hinderence they can insist that a mazzuma is hung in the door way of the childs bedrooom and that they were one of those litle black boxes containing verses of the torah on their head , but a child in a christian foster family who expresses an intrest in baptism is offered councling given a talking to to ensure that they havent been brainwashed and (in this case) removed from the foster family when the child maintained that getting baptised was their idea and more importantly their wish .

im not shure who would be accountable if things did go wrong as i mentioned earlyer this idea is just an idea i wanted to bounce it arround so to speek.

smsmom i admitt that most people who abort wouldnt consider addoption whatever the form however ther is a small pecentage of people out there that dont see the current adoption system as an option . i know because i was one (feal free to rain fire and brimstone you cant make me feal any worse about it than i already do ). i was raped when i was 13 and fell pregnant i had had my first period only two months before , i have a lot of friends who are in the care system all of whom had horror storys from being forced into a religion they didnt want to being denied baptism through to the endless cycling of institutions never being adopted or fostered , non of them had a good story and all of them said (regularly) they would have been beter of left for dead . i didnt want that mental and emotional trauma for my child i was not aware of moses laws or private addoption , what i did know was that in every school coridor in every gp office and all over the tv abortion was portrayed as the humane alternative . if someone had sat down with me and said that actualy there is and agency / way out there to ensure that your child will be brought up a christian in a loving family then i wouldnt have gone ahead and killed my child .

maybe what we need isnt another agency maybe its better publication of the opptions . but if we dont do somthing more confused young girls out there are going to abort because there is no other way in there eyes.and they are going to hate themselves the rest of their lives for it .

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.