An Angry God?

Is God still angry with us? I’m kind of confused by various apparitions and messages from God talking about turning away the wrath of God with penances and so on. I thought Jesus did that?

How carefully is all of mankind paying attention to what Jesus did and taught?

Well, obviously not much. But I’m coming from the perspective that God, in love, paid the ransom for our sins. So is He still angry with us, having done that?

God isn’t actually angry, in the way you or I might get. He is perfect and therefore not susceptible to changing emotional states. God’s “anger” is a metaphorical representation of His hatred for sin. God is “angry” at sin in the same way as a doctor is “angry” at cancer - it destroys His beloved children. As such, God is as “angry” as ever AND Jesus’ sacrifice has “paid the ransom” for all the sins of mankind.

No.

When Jesus came and paid the ransom for our sins, He also repeatedly told us it mattered that we followed His commandments- it’s how we demonstrate our faith and love. I’m a former protestant also, and this is one of the biggest reasons I became a Catholic. Many protestant denominations teach that once you accept Christ as Savior, you’re saved, period. And yet, that doesn’t jive with what Jesus himself said, or with what St. Paul said (he never said faith ALONE, that was an addition my Martin Luther) or what St. James said, to start with. Read Mathew 25:31-46. It’s pretty clear there that Jesus is telling us that it matters what we do. The gospel of St. John is full of Jesus telling us that if we love Him we’ll follow his commandments. That God loves those who do what Jesus tells us. St. James says that “Faith without works is dead.” It’s everywhere in the NT, and yet is largely ignored by many protestant Christians today. And it’s not just damaging to their souls, but I believe it drives people away from Christianity because that type of behavior is hypocritical. People who are on the fence about Christianity can be driven away permanently by someone who claims to be a follower of Christ but then figures they can do anything they want to do - lie, steal, cheat, whatever- because they’re saved and so it doesn’t matter.

I’m not aware of any recent apparitions indicating God is angry. In which apparitions does God say He’s angry? Can you cite a few with links to the part that says He is angry with us?

I’m not really tech savvy enough to organize links. I was watching a programme on EWTN the other night on the Sacred Heart and it came up in one of the voice overs - don’t know the source, and am not familiar with the original apparitions to know.

Forgive my ignorance, I’m coming at this from having been a strict protestant and there’s much I don’t know. But I do seem to recall something about Lourdes and Our Lady calling for penance. Don’t know if that equates to an angry God, but I’m really not sure I understand it anyway.

A lot of people confuse anger with hate. Is God angry with us and at our sin? Certainly! Does it sadden God? Most definitely. Does it make God happy when we give our love to Him or repent of our sinful ways? Absolutely. We tend to put a limit on the abilities of God, since we are limited by our own human understanding. God is capable of feeling all of these at the same time.

Does God punish us directly? I don’t think so. At least not anymore. We punish ourselves by our sins. God allows bad things to happen because most of the time, He won’t interfere with our free will. If we do something wrong and we do not repent, He will not stop us from receiving the consequences that we have brought on ourselves.

I’m not really tech savvy enough to organize links. I was watching a programme on EWTN the other night on the Sacred Heart and it came up in one of the voice overs - don’t know the source, and am not familiar with the original apparitions to know.

[/quote]

Hi Eruvande, I did a little research on this. I believe that Lourdes and other recent apparitions did not indicate that God is angry with us. If you can give some specific instances, then we could look at what’s said an see what it might mean.

Without any actual information, I don’t know how we can know what was actually said, and what it could mean.

Just for future reference, in order to facilitate a productive discussion, next time you hear something to that you have a question about, try the following simple steps:

1. Write specifically what was said…
  2. Where you heard it ( the program if it’s a television or radio program, the book or article where your read it if it’s a book or the internet location if it’s online)

I guess that’s it, just those two things. Then we can listen or read what was actually said and help understand the meaning.

I’m feel bad that I wasn’t able to be more help, but without accurate information it’s not possible.

God bless you and guide you in all your ways.

No, I thank you, I appreciate you taking the time to suggest how I can actually get more answers. Sometimes I feel like there’s a stream of information coming my way and I only grasp a bit of it. I shall endeavour to take your advice and be more intelligible next time.

Rereading the thread, I wanted to say thank you for all your helpful and thoughtful replies to the general point of God’s anger. On reviewing my reading and viewing over the past few days, I think this train of thought may have been started by the Divine Mercy devotion, and trying to juggle the idea of having to continually plead for mercy from God, almost like He is reluctant. I think it’s a simple lost-in-translation moment for me.

Ah. In that case, you might enjoy reading the Diary of St. Faustina. I’m reading it now for the first time and there’s a lot of stuff in there that might help set your mind at ease.

I may be wrong, but didnt Jesus say somewhere he regretted creating mankind?

Yes, he did…

Genesis 6:6
The LORD regretted that he had made human beings on the earth, and his heart was deeply troubled.

How can God feel regret?

+1

God hates sin; He absolutely adores humankind. The way we conceive of God in any case: aloof, distant, superior, and angry is a reflection of who we perceive God to be-and therefore is often the way we are-and the way we act towards others as we, consciously or not, believe this to be an authentically higher way to be. But it’s not.

The catechism teaches that, at the Fall, in mans disobedience, he conceived a distorted image of God. God is sort of drug down to our level. And I think we all struggle with this distorted image, until we begin to grasp the truth of who He is, which Jesus came to definitively reveal. Read the first part of 1 Cor 1:13 to get an idea of who God really is, of His nature. Consider just Who it is who tells us in Matt 11:29 that He is meek and humble of heart. Consider just Who it was that hung on a cross to prove His love for us-in spite of our sin. Consider that God always loved man; enmity came from man, not God, man prefers darkness; God is light. “They hated Me without reason”, Jesus says of his persecutors in John 15, referring to Himself and His Father, quoting Psalms.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.