An article: the Worthy Reception of Communion

Presenting ourselves for communion should be based on a reasoned judgement of our worthiness to do so, based on the Church's objective criteria, according to this writer, a priest of the Archdiocese of Washington. And he speaks in specific terms of the sins that should make someone refrain from communion.
see blog.adw.org/2012/07/what-if-god-is-unhappy-with-our-praise-a-call-to-the-worthy-reception-of-communion/

I like his list. I should be published in Church bulletins. Would give people something to think about.

There are many instances of sin which I have found priests are reluctant to speak about from the pulpit.

I remember being told once that just as receiving Communion in a worthy state can bring physical healing, receiving in an unworthy state (in a state of mortal sin) can actually bring physical harm.

[quote="mdgspencer, post:1, topic:295287"]
Presenting ourselves for communion should be based on a reasoned judgement of our worthiness to do so, based on the Church's objective criteria, according to this writer, a priest of the Archdiocese of Washington. And he speaks in specific terms of the sins that should make someone refrain from communion.
see blog.adw.org/2012/07/what-if-god-is-unhappy-with-our-praise-a-call-to-the-worthy-reception-of-communion/

[/quote]

I see so many articles on how to get away from communion.
I should like to see one (just one) that would tell us to go to communion.

Nice article -- great food for thought and reflection!

On a side note, does anyone know the name of that painting at the top of the article and/or its artist? That's a beautiful representation of the Eucharist, and I'd love to get a print of it.

God bless,
Dean

[quote="HisIsTheCrown, post:4, topic:295287"]

[/quote]

We are told repeatedly by our priests at my parish to go to daily Mass when possible, and to go to frequent confession, at least once a month but preferably every other week, so that when we do go to Mass we are in a state of grace and can receive communion. But then again, I have very traditional priests at my parish.

I think the main problem lies with the fact that so many that do go to Mass receive unworthily, with no contrition for their sins, and some without knowledge that they are even committing sins. So many parishes have so little time offered for confession that very few people make it a habit to go even once a month. I think the horror of this sacrilige is being revealed to priests as they strive to help their flock draw closer to Christ, and they are starting to preach more often on contrition for sins and receiving worthily.

Maybe the emphasis should not just be that people should go to Mass and receive more often, but that priests should also put a much stronger emphasis in their preaching on living a life free from mortal sin so that people stay in a state where they are always worthy to receive. When one lives a life with God at its center, doing everything to please God alone and to not offend Him, one finds that life becomes more spiritual on many different levels. One fruit of that type of life is living free of mortal sin, and desiring to go to Mass as frequently as possible for that communion with God in the reception of the holy Eucharist.

[quote="HisIsTheCrown, post:4, topic:295287"]

[/quote]

Why? It's not like people seem to need one. They go up indiscriminately to receive all the time.

[quote="aicirt, post:2, topic:295287"]
I like his list. I should be published in Church bulletins. Would give people something to think about.

There are many instances of sin which I have found priests are reluctant to speak about from the pulpit.

[/quote]

It's easy to condemn those big, public sins committed by unnamed or public figures but when you might actually have to condemn a sin being committed by someone who is sitting in your congregation, who is one of your best volunteers or the writer of your biggest donation checks-that's a little different.

Think of this as well, if this message is preached vigorously more people might wish to go to Confession and it might have to be held for more than an hour on Saturday afternoon before the Vigil Mass. People might demand Confession times early in the morning or in the evenings so that they could go before or after work. Not everyone works from M-F, 9-5 and they might want times convenient for them.

It's a great article, and I agree that it should be promulgated, but I can certainly understand why there would be resistance to it.

At the end of the article the list of potential sins that require attention before receiving our Lord leaves out one biggie: the use of artificial birth control. (Or did I miss it???)
Is there a reason for this?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.