An article: Why Do We Let Them Dress Like That? (parents and their teenage daughters)

This article discusses why parents allow their teenage daughters, as young as 12 or 13, to wear revealing clothes--and to even buy them for them.
online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703899704576204580623018562.html?mod=WSJ_LifeStyle_Lifestyle_5

It's my personal opinion that age regardless, how revealing one's clothing is is directly inverse to how much respect I'm going to have for them... (and, sadly, I'm more than often right)

[quote="Lamentation, post:2, topic:245917"]
It's my personal opinion that age regardless, how revealing one's clothing is is directly inverse to how much respect I'm going to have for them... (and, sadly, I'm more than often right)

[/quote]

Only you are responsible for your thoughts and reactions. And it seems you have decided that you are qualified to make such judgments of other people.

[quote="Lamentation, post:2, topic:245917"]

[/quote]

Most people dress for themselves and really, unless you are family or friend, would not be seeking your views or respect.

[quote="mdgspencer, post:1, topic:245917"]
This article discusses why parents allow their teenage daughters, as young as 12 or 13, to wear revealing clothes--and to even buy them for them.
online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703899704576204580623018562.html?mod=WSJ_LifeStyle_Lifestyle_5

[/quote]

I would like to ask why you start this thread, post this and stay out of the discussion. You did the same with your "Top Ten Reasons should dress modestly" thread.

[quote="mdgspencer, post:1, topic:245917"]

[/quote]

Dear mdgspencer,

Cordial greetings and a very good day.

Since the moral revolution of the Sixties there has been a deplorable decline in standards of decency and propriety in clothing, even for the very young. Unfortunately, even among some of the faithful, their has been an almost total loss of the moral sense and instinct for modesty, resulting from a failure to view this whole topic of modest attire from the perspective of Original Sin and its effect of concupiscence or evil desire.

As Catholics it is incumbent upon us to discipline our senses and sanctify our souls with the graces that commend us to the Lord. Thus, parents ought to ensure that their offspring, especially their daughters, avoid the "broad paths" of modern and seductive fashion attire, influenced by the brash world, debased pop psychology and TV/film culture, which present numerous dangers to one's spiritual and moral health.

What is imperative is that Catholic parents do not capitulate to their children's puerile demands to dress in the unseemly fashions of the peers (e.g. mini-skirts, tight fitting clothing that accentuates body parts and bikini's). If we allow this to happen then our precious children will, at length, be increasingly influenced by the "allurements of fashion" and the lowered standards of our godless and sexualised culture will ultimately be the benchmark as to what our youth deem acceptable and appropriate. If we are not strict and firm respecting our children's choice of clothing, and I know that this is unpopular in our anti-authoritarian society, then we cannot really express our concern if they take their cue from the bad example of their friends and amoral fashion designers who have a financial interest in promoting trends, irrespective of whether or not those trends conform to Catholic modesty regarding "seemly apparel" (see I Tim. 2: 9).

If our youth are not given sound moral guidance as to modest dress, then questions of decency and respectability will hardly be pivitol in their decision making. Their primary concern will surely be what is flattering and enticing to the male sex or what is comfortable and* a la mode*. Hence, it is essential from an early age that we train our children in the correct way as regards modest apparel, so that when they get older they will not depart from the path of virtue and chastity (cf. Proverbs 22: 6). Moreover, as responsible parents we must be alert to the relativisation of standards of decency in attire and the inevitable loss of a sense of decorum that accompanies it. We ought to feel jolly uncomfortable about our young daughters exposing to the gaze of others an inordinate and unseemly amount of flesh.

Warmest good wishes,

Portrait

Pax

When I was a teen, my mother did not give me a lot of say in what I wore as she said as me and your father are paying for the clothes, you are not "line". My clothing choices were modest, but not always "in style". I was often teased in various ways for my clothing choices by my peers.

My parents became a bit more permissible with my younger sister, and she got away with wearing styles that were less modest. They gave into her requests more often for certain things I know I would never dream to wear.

My sister's daughter (age 9) luckily is not into a lot of the girl-y type clothes of the preteen set. She prefers tee shirts, sweaters, track suit combos, jeans, modest length shorts, and khaki pants. She doesn't really like pink or other similar female type colors. She rarely likes wearing dresses and skirts. She prefers neutral colors for the most part. I wonder in a few years if she will start asking for certain styles, we shall see. My sister is hoping her daughter doesn't want to wear certain items she wore a lot as a teen - tight, short and/or revealing styles.

Parents should put their feet down a lot more when it comes to getting clothes for their kids. Some items are just not appropriate for school, special occasions, and/or Mass that I see kids wearing. Kids should have some say when they get a bit older, but still parents should be able to make the final choice as they are paying for the clothes.

Why do I stay out of the discussion? As a rule, when I start a discussion, I stay out of it and let the posters determine what happens in the discussion. I don't want to act as if I was in charge of what is said.

[quote="severus68, post:5, topic:245917"]
I would like to ask why you start this thread, post this and stay out of the discussion. You did the same with your "Top Ten Reasons should dress modestly" thread.

[/quote]

[quote="mdgspencer, post:8, topic:245917"]
Why do I stay out of the discussion? As a rule, when I start a discussion, I stay out of it and let the posters determine what happens in the discussion. I don't want to act as if I was in charge of what is said.

[/quote]

I am sure everyone would like to hear your view of issues. Everyone does not have to agree but everyone should be respectful of each other.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.