An Atheist ex-witch serving you the Eucharist.

Although an Atheist and a once practitioner (still lover) of witchcraft and paganism (just because it’s not real doesn’t mean you can’t like it), I am still rather involved in the church. Out of my mothers request I am a minister (I think that is what they are called). Either way I say the body of Christ (or blood if I got the chalice) and give people the wafer or wine.

So what are peoples thoughts about an ex-witch/pagan and current atheist serving them the body and blood of their lord savior Jesus Christ? I also used to serve when I was a witch to.

If you can see fit to call the Body of Christ a ‘wafer’ instead of what we believe it is, which is His body and not bread, then you have no business going anywhere near it - not to receive (since you are not in the communion of belief with the Church which is expressed by the reception of the sacrament) nor distribute it.

In all cases that I have seen, the person in the position you describe receives communion herself/himself first, and then distributes. Are you receiving communion?

It doesn’t change what people receive. The only person hurt here is the person administering the sacrament, you. I’m sure you hoped to get a rise out of the truly faithful here, but I would suspect what most people feel for you is concern and pity. So my prayer for you is simple, “Forgive her Father, she knows not what she does.”

Your Mommy is telling you to help out at Church and you can’t say “No” even though you’re an atheist/pagan/witch/can’t-make-up-your-mind/anything-but-Catholic? :confused:

So what are peoples thoughts about an ex-witch/pagan and current atheist serving them the body and blood of their lord savior Jesus Christ? I also used to serve when I was a witch to.

It doesn’t harm Jesus, and it doesn’t harm me. But it must be messing you up something awful.

How does it feel, to pretend to be someone you’re not? Do you worry that you might get caught? Do you sometimes wake up suddenly in the middle of the night and wonder if maybe your priest is on to you? Do you ever wish you could just tell the truth and be yourself?

I’m sure your mother worries for your immortal soul, so just tell her that by receiving holy communion you are blaspheming her god, and lying to the entire parish, and that you don’t want to do that anymore. That’s what COMMUNION means after all (Latin root meaning mutual participation, and by thinking you’re serving a wafer and NOT the body of christ you certainly are not mutually participating). Though she will try to guide you back towards the church, I’m sure she won’t try to guide you back to living a lie. I’m sure you wouldn’t want to do that anyway.
if there’s one less Eucharistic minister that’s like, what, an extra five minutes of mass? :shrug: Who cares?
By the way, the state of your soul doesn’t have any impact on the state of anyone else’s. So, by receiving and serving the Eucharist, don’t worry - you aren’t having an impact on anyone there, besides yourself, so don’t worry about that.

my thoughts are irrelevant, but those engaged in ministry in service to the Liturgy, must meet the requirements, the most basic of which is to be a fully initiated practicing Catholic adult. the honest thing to do would explain to the pastor that you can no longer serve, as obviously he is not aware of your affiliation. Please ask your mother not to ask you to do something at odds with your own beliefs, as this would most certainly be.

Obviously this is a serious sacrilege. Out of respect for the faith you obviously do not share, you should desist immediately. I don’t know what priest ever authorized you as an EMOE (that is the term, Extraordinary Minister of the Eucharist), but he should not have. Were you not required to take a very detailed training course? Were you not required to confirm you are a faithful and practicing Catholic, possibly even sign a written statement to that effect? Obviously since you are acting in place of the priest at Communion time (the Ordinary minister) you should be a devout adherent of Catholicism. The situation you describe is so absurd I fear this must be a joke or something.

Yea, I don’t know about this. I mean if my mother sacrificed cats at midnight and she asked me to do the same I can bet you that I would have to gracefully bow out. You should not be active in any area where your heart is absent. Personally, I cannot help but think that your post is for reactions but if it is indeed a valid post please refrain from this ministry until you come to Christ. Go to Mass with mom but let a believer handle the Hosts…teachccd

Did a preist actually allow you to be a Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion?

I think I question the pastor’s decision in allowing you to serve? Weren’t you asked about your beliefs?

So, how is this in line at all with what you believe? You don’t believe that the Eucharist is the body and blood of Christ - and yet you present it to Church goers and tell them it is. This makes absolutely zero sense.

Yes

I’m just curious as to what people thought about this. I personally would rather not go and not waste my time. But it makes my mother happy and I reason it is only an hour so I go and do that thing. Plus the church is always short of ministers so…
And the people in the pews don’t know my position so no ones feeling are hurt.

I was just curious if people did find out would they care?

I’m an athiest who used to be a witch/ pagan, I practice with friends still but out of tradition rather than belief. But

It doesn’t harm Jesus, and it doesn’t harm me. But it must be messing you up something awful.

How does it feel, to pretend to be someone you’re not? Do you worry that you might get caught? Do you sometimes wake up suddenly in the middle of the night and wonder if maybe your priest is on to you? Do you ever wish you could just tell the truth and be yourself?

Not really… Couldn’t care less. And my family knows my official position on religion, i voice it very loudly. We argued often in the past. But now that I’m no longer a teenager I just king of let it go and I go to church and we just don’t talk about it. I mean sure we still on occasion argue hard, I try my best not to bring it up and leave it a non-issue…

I guess she is hoping that if I do the christian thing and am a good person even if I don’t believe, that her loving god won’t send the child she loves so much to hell to be tortured forever… Whatever helps her sleep at night… And I do it as a diplomatic conflict resolution…

Yes. Funnily enough I am fairly well versed in the bible and Christianity and am rather involved in youth group. I try and do my bit to bring rationality and a modern moral perspective to what I see as a rather dark age irrational situation. I’m also good friends with the local priest and nuns and often have lengthy debates on religion. However I’m not officially “out” as an atheist.

Completely hypocritical.

Like I said above I have been a long standing member of the church. From baptism, through alter service through confession. It’s become more of a community tradition to me than anything else.

And I tell my little sister that fairies, Santa and unicorns are real to… Your point?

Why do you care what we think?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.