An AWESOME Catholic video channel

truefaith.tv/

Has very helpful videos about Confession, Communion, traditional movement stuff loyal to the Pope, purity of heart, and the rosary.

I’m convinced that this guy, named Gabriel Castillo, is a saint

:thumbsup:

He’s all about holiness of life, and reverence as Catholics. Love his videos.

Thank you for sharing that, this was unknown to me.

Thanks for the link. I had not seen this before either. Can’t wait to watch some.

Mary.

I think he still has a YouTube channel called GabiAfterHours.

Stay away from it.

The Church Militant is run by Michael Voris a staunch right wing Catholic who ran RealCatholicTV until the Bishop of Detroit told him to stop using the title Catholic in his site.

He produced scathing attacks against various Bishops in the past and has little understanding on Catholic doctrine and the true meaning.

Jim

Jim, is this particular website associated with Voris?

It links Catholic Militant Site which is run by Voris

Jim

When I hear the phrase “traditional movement” I think of what I call Lefebvrist traditionalism, and those forms of it which are more or less skeptical of everything the Church has done since 1962. Yes, those groups claim to be loyal to the Holy Father, but this often is an external assent alone.

Would you describe this channel in that way, or do you just mean that he has a preference for older devotions and for the Vetus Ordo?

I have to say, Jim, I do agree with your cautionary advice. These groups offer a skewed and “more authentic” Catholicism that, in my stupid opinion, can be very dangerous.

If the source isn’t approved by the Church, it’s suspect, even if it seems right.

Jim

Are any of these attacks warranted?

Of course they were not warranted, which is why he was told to remove Catholic from his website.

Jim

I can understand disapproval from blanket statements that are anti-clerical. I do wonder if the laity are allowed to critique the clergy of their theology or of their shepherding skills.
I have only watched a handful of his videos, do you have a specific example that demonstrates an unwarranted attack?
Could you also provide an example showing he has little understanding on Catholic doctrine?

At a glance;

After one of Voris’s programs caused controversy when he stated, “The only way to prevent a democracy from committing suicide is to limit the vote to faithful Catholics”, he received increased scrutiny from the Archdiocese of Detroit. In December 2011, the archdiocese publicly released two press releases holding that the digital station realcatholictv.com was not permitted to use the word “Catholic” within its name according to their reading of canon law. The press release stated, "The Archdiocese has informed Mr. Voris and Real Catholic TV, RealCatholicTV.com, that it does not regard them as being authorized to use the word ‘Catholic’ to identify or promote their public activities … The Church encourages the Christian faithful to promote or sustain a variety of apostolic undertakings but, nevertheless, prohibits any such undertaking from claiming the name Catholic without the consent of the competent ecclesiastical authority.

And

“Catholic monarchy” comments
In a video titled “Catholic Government”, now removed from his apostolate’s site but still available online,[41] Voris reiterates the statement by St. Thomas Aquinas that monarchy is the highest form of government (“Accordingly, the best form of government is in a state or kingdom, wherein one is given the power to preside over all.” Summa Theologica I-11, 105.1). In the video Voris said, “The only way to run a country is by benevolent dictatorship, a Catholic monarch who protects his people from themselves and bestows on them what they need, not necessarily what they want.”[7] Voris later clarified his remarks, saying it would have been more accurate if he had called it an “enlightened monarchy,” but maintaining that his larger point “that a society needs strong morals in order to survive”[7] remains true. Voris holds that there has been a liberal shift in the Catholic Church, a post-1960s culture that has had a negative influence over Catholics; some of this has been influenced by “Americanism,” a heresy that Pope Leo XIII warned about in the 19th century.[7] The Detroit Free Press reported that Voris holds that "Many current church leaders are ‘namby-pamby… It’s all about, “Love your neighbor.”’ What’s needed instead, he said, is "a muscular Catholicism that isn’t afraid to encourage battle and sacrifice.

He also confessed that he had sexual affairs with both men and women in the past before returning to the faith.

However, he falsely accused the Dioceses of New York by saying they were going to expose his past to discredit him.

The Dioceses denied it and Voris himself admitted that he had no information that they had in fact planned to do this.

In all, he has a nasty tone in whatever he says and is hardly a reflection of Christ, which is the biggest concern of the Bishops.

Jim

Anybody with a business with the word “Catholic” in it can be shut down if it’s not directly tied to the church. Because use of the word is not authorized doesn’t mean that the teachings shown on that site are not Catholic, or are anti-Catholic.

Regarding Voris, and churchmilitant.com - I suggest you watch some of his videos before passing judgment. I think you’ll see that clerical criticism of his views is based on him being right and the clerics being wrong.

And St. Paul killed and persecuted Christians before he found the faith. So your point is what exactly?

I watched Voris in the past and won’t bother now.

Jim

The point is his vicious attacks against homosexuals and anyone having sex before marriage.

Instead of showing compassion in his teaching, especially where he sought and received forgiveness, he was judgemental and nasty.

Jim

I’ve heard his comments on those subjects, and they’re right out of the CCC.

Quite often, those who don’t want to have their hearts softened, or to hear or see what God wants them to see and hear have a reaction similar to “he was judgmental and nasty.”

I’ve also heard him speak often that to sugar coat the teachings of the church so as not to offend someone is not doing them any favors. I agree with that.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.