An Easy Way to Teach/Learn the Periodic Table of Elements

found this on the net while surfing:

Here is a copy of the Periodic Table of Elements and an article on isotopes. AND an excellent and CONCISE bit about the idea of "half-life".

mitnse.com/2011/03/17/what-is-an-isotope/

Suggestion: bribe/pay your kids to draw the Periodic Table by heart. Initially, pay them to draw it by copying it once a week. And after they get good at it, start them doing it from memory.

After they get that down, pay them to look up each element and write a one page essay on each one. By copying at first and then from memory.

No idea how much kids get as allowance these days, but instead of them "getting" an allowance, let them earn the money by learning the Periodic Table. There are 100 elements [102 actually and probably a few "exotics" as well and more if you include isotopes], but a penny each is one dollar. A nickel is $5. A dime each is $10. Really young kids would probably enjoy memorizing adult stuff.

Great suggestion. :thumbsup:

:confused: Just curious why you would have to pay/bribe someone to learn? Learning is something one has to be educated to find joy in doing.

I'm pretty partial to this method:

youtube.com/watch?v=r7hO-1ItqXw

:D

[quote="kelvinf, post:3, topic:233091"]
:confused: Just curious why you would have to pay/bribe someone to learn? Learning is something one has to be educated to find joy in doing.

[/quote]

Speak for yourself, John Alden.

In the meanwhile, while waiting for the joy to set in, bribes are EXTREMELY effective.

Kids want to earn money. We have found that if you PAY the kids to do chores, clean their pets' cages and litter boxes, make their beds, etc. that absolutely NO yelling or "exhorting" is needed. The kids COME AFTER the parents BEGGING for additional chores to do [for money]. YOU HAVE NO IDEA how nice and peaceful the house is when the kids are busy willingly doing chores. And if you find something else that needs doing, all you need to do is to negotiate a rate. Fabulous.

Why is this even necessary?

2 of my 3 kids have taken various chemistry level classes, including AP in high school and in college, and not one has had to have the periodic table memorized.

Seems like unnecessary work.:shrug:

[quote="Catholic90, post:6, topic:233091"]
Why is this even necessary?

2 of my 3 kids have taken various chemistry level classes, including AP in high school and in college, and not one has had to have the periodic table memorized.

Seems like unnecessary work.:shrug:

[/quote]

Take my word for "it"; yes, it depends on the meaning of the word "it".

If folks want to know what the relationships and chemical properties of families of chemicals, then having an understanding of the Periodic Table and the way it is arranged is invaluable.

As you get older, you start to appreciate the way the Periodic Table is arranged.

Memorization is also invaluable; we have gotten away from that. Kids should memorize the 25 x 25 multiplication table. No calculators.

And know the names of all the states, the state capitals, the oceans and seas and lots of other tidbits.

And all of them make perfect examples of what you can pay your kids to do.

Kid's brains have almost an unlimited capacity to learn stuff. Fill it with good stuff or someone else will fill it with bad stuff.

We used to memorize the Baltimore Catechism. And large parts of the Bible.

We quit doing that and peoples' ability to get some understanding of the fundamentals of the faith has deteriorated as a result.

Memorization is not "unnecessary work". Memorization is useful and beneficial. Your brain won't melt and dribble out your ears if you memorize a lot of useful stuff. Your brain is HUGE in its capacity [almost, but not quite infinite ... small "i"]; there is no way you will be able to fill it to capacity and suffer a core dump or a melt-down from excessive brain heat.

[quote="Monte_RCMS, post:5, topic:233091"]
Speak for yourself, John Alden.

In the meanwhile, while waiting for the joy to set in, bribes are EXTREMELY effective.

Kids want to earn money. We have found that if you PAY the kids to do chores, clean their pets' cages and litter boxes, make their beds, etc. that absolutely NO yelling or "exhorting" is needed. The kids COME AFTER the parents BEGGING for additional chores to do [for money]. YOU HAVE NO IDEA how nice and peaceful the house is when the kids are busy willingly doing chores. And if you find something else that needs doing, all you need to do is to negotiate a rate. Fabulous.

[/quote]

I agree that bribes can be extremely effective but in the short term. What happens in the long run? What happens when they start to get other sources of "income"?

If a child is trained to learn or do chores because of money, then when he/she grows and becomes financially independent, he/she wouldn't see the need to learn/do chores anymore. And the joy wouldn't come from doing those things, rather from the money. It's logical and it's a risky bargain IMHO.

[quote="kelvinf, post:9, topic:233091"]
I agree that bribes can be extremely effective but in the short term. What happens in the long run? What happens when they start to get other sources of "income"?

If a child is trained to learn or do chores because of money, then when he/she grows and becomes financially independent, he/she wouldn't see the need to learn/do chores anymore. And the joy wouldn't come from doing those things, rather from the money. It's logical and it's a risky bargain IMHO.

[/quote]

:thumbsup:

Sorry.

I can only discuss from the perspective of extremely successful experience.

It became a very enjoyable game; profitable. Created a harmonious environment. We all still look back on it with pleasure.

Eventually, it gets outgrown. That’s fine. But a lot of excellent scholarship and a lot of good humor was experienced.

Entice/pay/bribe your kids, especially the young ones, to memorize this song:

youtube.com/watch?v=m8dtquYDXEU

Some of the You tubes also have the table published.

[You could even follow the bouncing ball and point to the individual elements as they music proceeds.]

Wish they had had this when I was a kid.

As sung by a FOUR-YEAR OLD!!

youtube.com/watch?v=QWkVO6Bp8VM&feature=related

[groan .... now I REALLY feel inadequate!]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.