An exception to the Friday Lent fast?

I’m fasting on Fridays for lent, but I have a question on which I’d appreciate some advice. I’m in a Protestant household, and my family has a tradition of having lamb on Good Friday of holy week. It symbolizes the Lamb of God giving up his body for all of us.

It’s a neat tradition, I think, and I know that my family would be both upset and disappointed if I didn’t participate. I’ve kept the fast ever since I knew of its existence, each Friday of Lent, until this coming Friday. I think that I should break that fast just this Friday though, for my family, as well as to participate in what I see as an excellent tradition. I prayed about it, and I don’t think the Lord minds.

I’m wondering, does Catholic custom allow for me to make an exception like this? Or is the rule absolutely unbending? I do believe it’s okay that I do this, but I want to make sure by asking for the opinions of some of the rest of you before I go ahead.

I feel quite sure that the Catholic priests at my Catholic Church would say yes, but they so far seem pretty liberal to me, so I don’t know how to take an opinion they might voice about it.

Last I heard, the fact that to not sin would cause offence to family members isn’t an excuse to commit any sin. Not unless they’d get violent with you for refusing or something.

And be clear about this, failure to fast and abstain on the days appointed by the Church, to whom Jesus gave the power to bind and loose heaven, is indeed a sin. ‘Who hears you hears me, who rejects you rejects me’ and all that.

Kindly and politely refuse, explain precisely why, and use it as a moment to teach your family about the Catholic faith - presumably you didn’t join the Catholic Church to keep silent about this new faith of yours that you love so much? :confused:

As for my family, we love our lamb as much as anyone. We abstain from flesh meat on Good Friday, though, in honour of Jesus who gave up His flesh and blood for us on that day.

The lamb in all its spitroasted glory is saved for Easter Sunday. Which is a day really worth celebrating. As opposed to Good Friday, which strikes me as a day when you should be mourning the saviour who died for us rather than stuffing yourself with lamb or any other tasty tidbits.

Nope, but you’d be wise to contact your pastor and talk this over with him. You can always declare that you are fasting and they can’t say a word. :slight_smile:

Wouldn’t it be better to save the lamb for Pascha (Easter)?

You **must NOT **eat the lamb on Good Friday.

I didnt think even protestants ate meat on Good Friday.

Are you kidding? That’s the best time they feel to go to the steakhouses!!! The lines are shorter!

Really, my best friend is protestant and she said they never ate meat on Good Friday, My husband also was protestant and said they never ate meat on Good Friday. Oh well. i guess thats another good things about the CC consistancy.

Abstaining from meat is not a “custom” it is a law of the Church. No, you may not eat meat.

You say you think Jesus “wouldn’t mind”. It is Jesus who put the Bishops in authority over us and said “he who hears you, hears me”. Don’t be fooled by trying to rationalize something you want to do by claiming that Jesus “wouldn’t mind”. Jesus minds all sin, and we are bound by Church Law.

You know what you are right. I just got it from a protestant preacher he said they always eat meat on Good Friday and any Friday. So I was wrong, SORRY

1 tim 4:
They forbid marriage and require abstinence from foods that God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and know the truth.
For everything created by God is good, and nothing is to be rejected when received with thanksgiving,

Of course my $.02 is only that as I am a fundamentalist evangelic:D

Well, since they are having Lamb on Good Friday, they are doing it in spite of knowing that Catholics fast and abstain from meat on Good Friday.

While it’s a neat tradition, they might be interested in some of the long standing traditions that have been a part of the Catholic Christian Church since the ancient times.

I think they got the idea of eating meat from the Jewish tradition, which I think eats lamb as part of the Seder Meal, which occurs on Passover, which is when Jesus shared the Last Supper with His Disciples. That would put Lamb on the menu on Holy Thursday, not Good Friday.

I think there’s a lot more at stake sharing in this meal with protestants than meets the eye. While on one hand, we want to be peacemakers, the Catholic Church is the one True Church, and all the rest are merely a shadow of the Catholic Church. I wouldn’t compromise. Instead, I would really focus on the meaning of Good Friday, and fast even from this meal, offering it up to our Lord.

What message will you be giving to your protestant household?

Ahh, Catholics don’t really DO THAT anymore.

Please don’t. It’s a bad witness.

You’ve heard the phrase, “When in Rome, do as the Romans…”

Please don’t suggest to Catholics that it’s all right to disobey the authority that is so integral to their faith, Simon. :tsktsk:

BTW, how are you, my brother? :wave:

I am well friend, hopefully you are as well…:o couldn’t help it my fundamental nature says go directly to scripture do not pass it by.

PS I may be traveling your way in June your from that state that is like it’s own country right?

Lousiaina?!?!? :rotfl:

We’re outside of Beaumont right on IH-10!!! PM me when you’re nearby. We’ll settle this Catholic-Fundamentalist feud once and for all!!!

We’re going to pflugerville and then to Dallas…Probably no where near there is it?

:thumbsup:

Thank-you very much for your comments, everyone. Your words caused me to research Catholic practice on this matter more carefully. I had previously thought abstinence from meat on Fridays is a custom, rather than a rule, and my experience of fasting in my Protestant faith always was controlled by my own choice. So I’m not really used to this.

But now that I can see that the USCCB made this a rule, I’ll gladly submit to it.

I took a look at your profile. Are you going to be Confirmed this week at the Easter Vigil?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.