An Honest question for our brothers in the Jewish Faith

My question is this, to all my Jewish brothers and sisters out there, Do you believe in the Holy Spirit and if you do how do you define the Holy Spirit.

Please lets not make this Jewish or Christian bashing, lets try to do our best to keep this in the light of God. Thanks.

I am pretty sure they believe in a holy spirit. They don’t believe in the Holy Trinity, of course. Didn’t God breathe life into Adam?

They believe in the ruach ha-kodesh, which is the equivalent of the Holy Spirit in Judaism.

“Cast me not away from thy presence,
and take not thy holy Spirit from me.” (Psalm 51:11)

“But they rebelled
and grieved his holy Spirit;
therefore he turned to be their enemy,
and himself fought against them.
Then he remembered the days of old,
of Moses his servant.
Where is he who brought up out of the sea
the shepherds of his flock?
Where is he who put in the midst of them
his holy Spirit,” (Isaiah 63:10-11)

““The Spirit of the Lord speaks by me,
his word is upon my tongue.” (2 Samuel 23:2)

See this link:

en.wiki2.org/wiki/Holy_Spirit_%28Judaism%29

Isn’t there also a “breath of God” mentioned in the Old Testament?

It looks like we are just entertaining each other until someone comes along who can answer the question. :stuck_out_tongue:

Well, you know the answer to have your question!

Some Jews believe in the Shekinah, or the dwelling place and presence of G-d. It is not mentioned precisely in the Hebrew Scriptures but is part of the Talmud (Oral Law) and the Zohar in the Kabbalah, and interestingly is thought of as the feminine aspect of G-d.

What about Genesis 1:2 - is that G-d acting as a spirit, or is it the “breath of G-d” as an emanation distinct from G-d proper? The Greek is the first, but the other seems to make more sense of the other Hebrew Scriptural references to “Spirit of G-d”.

Oops! I meant half — not have.

There’s no real equivalence, rinnie, it’s really down to human descriptions of what we can perceive of God’s activities.

There are different levels of soul according to Jewish teaching, from lowest to highest including nefesh (within the body), ruach, and ultimately neshama. Even the latter, however, is not regarded as G-d Himself but rather as a union with G-d.

So, in Bereshit (sorry, forgot the name last time) 1:2, ruach is something produced by G-d?

Yes, the breath of G-d, is the soul that G-d infuses in human beings, but is not G-d Himself.

Another five hundred years or so, and I might start to understand.

I’ll wait!

Thanks babe, got it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.