An Image of Simeon, an Old Man, Holding the New-Born Jesus

see www.catholicjournal.us/wp-content/uploads/simeonjesus.jpg

–from the Gospel of Saint Luke: “Now there was a man in Jerusalem, whose name was Simeon, and this man was righteous and devout, looking for the consolation of Israel, and the Holy Spirit was upon him. And it had been revealed to him by the Holy Spirit that he should not see death before he had seen the Lord’s Christ. And inspired by the Spirit he came into the temple; and when the parents brought in the child Jesus, to do for him according to the custom of the law, he took him up in his arms and blessed God and said,
‘Lord, now let your servant depart in peace,
according to your word;
for my eyes have seen your salvation
which you have prepared in the presence of all peoples…’”
( Luke 2:25-31)

Thanks for the link.

Here is a painting I once saw - framed & matted.
christcenteredmall.com/stores/art/dicianni/simeons-moment.htm

It was beautiful and I could have sat and pondered it a long time. There is a tear (tear of joy) in Simeon’s eye which does not show up in the computer link. The continents in the background and the bright light are a pictorial incorporation of the phrase in Luke 2:32 where he says of the child in his arms “a light for revelation to the Gentiles”.

Unfortunately, the computer image doesn’t begin to do it justice.

With the bright light of God shining down on them! This will make for a beautiful new image when I meditate on the 4th joyful mystery.

Peace!!!

This is beautiful.i love the way the artist captured the look of complete reverence in Simeons’s eyes.:slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.