An Interpretation in Revelation !?

CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG!!!

An idea just dawned on me, not sure if I'm right at all, but I seem to have
found some sort of correlation between verses in Genesis and Revelation.
We first find God speaking to the Serpent, saying:I will put enmities between thee and the woman,
and thy seed and her seed: she shall crush thy
head, and thou shalt lie in wait for her heel.
– (Genesis 3:15)
Now whether you read it as "HE" or "SHE" shall crush the Serpent's head,
crushed was the Serpent's head almost 2,000 years ago. Now the verse in
Revelation that I'm finding interesting in relation to Genesis 3:15, speaking
of the Beast (The Antichrist):And I saw one of his heads as it were slain to death:
and his death's wound was healed. And all the earth
was in admiration after the beast.
– (Revelation 13:3)
IF I am making a correct correlation here, what more can be said about [size=3]it? [/size]

Or am I just wrong?
:confused: – :confused: – :confused: – :confused: – :confused: – :confused: – :confused:

The beast in Rev 13. The heads are commonly thought to represent kings or rulers. The ICSB says:

"The seven heads of the beast represent seven Roman kings, according to 17:9–10. "
" The wounded head is probably Caesar Nero, who committed suicide in June a.d. 68. He was the last of Julius Caesar’s dynastic line, and his death threw Rome into political chaos and civil war. Though many thought the Empire had ended with the demise of Nero, a new claimant gained control of the throne (Galba), and the Empire lived on. Others read this as an allusion to the Nero redivivus legend, an ancient belief the Nero would someday return and reclaim his authority as Roman dictator. See notes on Rev 13:18 and 17:10."

In Genesis 3:15 we have the devil or Satan whose head would be crushed by the future Messiah. So we are really talking about different things here. The ICSB says about Genesis 3:15:

"A crucial verse in Genesis, which some think is an etiology that explains the origin of man's instinctive fear of snakes. More likely, the proverbial antagonism between men and snakes was evoked for the purpose of symbolizing man's ongoing struggle against sin and evil, which is personified by the serpent (cf. 4:7; Sir 21:2). In any case, neither interpretation captures the full meaning of the text, which foretells the eventual triumph of the woman and her offspring over Satan after a protracted period of hostility. your seed: The devil's accomplices in doing evil, including wicked men, who constitute his spiritual offspring (Jn 8:44). In Genesis, Cain and his line of godless descendants are the first to fulfill this role (4:8, 17-24; 1 Jn 3:12). her seed: The righteous descendants of the woman, initially linked with Abel (4:4) and the godly line of Seth (4:26; 5:6-32). he shall: The Hebrew could be read individually ("he shall") or collectively ("they shall"). The earliest known Jewish interpretation of this text takes the offspring of the woman to be an individual man (Gk. autos, "he" in the Greek LXX). bruise: Or, "crush" (as in Job 9:17). Victory over the satanic deceiver is assured: the serpent will sustain a fatal head injury, while the woman's offspring will suffer only a biting on the heel. At least one Jewish tradition connects this triumph with the coming of a messianic king (Palestinian Targum). ● Christian tradition gives this text a messianic interpretation (Christ is the individual who tramples the devil underfoot: Heb 2:14; 1 Jn 3:8; St. Irenaeus Against Heresies 3, 23, 7), an ecclesiological interpretation (the Church is the offspring that shares in his victory: Rom 16:20; Rev 12:17), and a mariological interpretation (Mary is the promised woman who bears the Redeemer: Vatican II, Lumen Gentium 55). This passage has long been called the "first gospel" (Lat. protoevangelium) and stands out as the first revelation of God's mercy in Scripture (CCC 410-11)."

The head can be seen as the head of the body or the ruler of an assembly. Crushing the devil's head means he would be completely defeated. This symbolizes Christ's complete victory over the devil and sin and death. A wounded head that heals could mean a dictatorship that fell and then regained control. So just because they both use the symbol of a head does not mean that they are connected in any way. Of course the devil is behind the beast.

[quote="Judas_Thaddeus, post:1, topic:347476"]
Now the verse in
Revelation that I'm finding interesting in relation to Genesis 3:15, speaking
of the Beast (The Antichrist):And I saw one of his heads as it were slain to death:
and his death's wound was healed. And all the earth
was in admiration after the beast.
– (Revelation 13:3)

[/quote]

First off, I think that's a different beast from the red dragon.

[INDENT]And another sign appeared in heaven: behold, a great red dragon, with seven heads and ten horns, and on his heads seven diadems. His tail swept down a third of the stars of heaven and cast them to the earth. And the dragon stood before the woman who was about to give birth, so that when she bore her child he might devour it. (...) Now war arose in heaven, Michael and his angels fighting against the dragon. And the dragon and his angels fought back, but he was defeated, and there was no longer any place for them in heaven. And the great dragon was thrown down, that ancient serpent, who is called the devil and Satan, the deceiver of the whole world—he was thrown down to the earth, and his angels were thrown down with him. (...)

Then the dragon became furious with the woman and went off to make war on the rest of her offspring, on those who keep the commandments of God and hold to the testimony of Jesus. And he stood on the sand of the sea. And I saw a beast rising out of the sea, with ten horns and seven heads, with ten diadems on its horns and blasphemous names on its heads. And the beast that I saw was like a leopard; its feet were like a bear's, and its mouth was like a lion's mouth. And to it the dragon gave his power and his throne and great authority. One of its heads seemed to have a mortal wound, but its mortal wound was healed, and the whole earth marveled as they followed the beast. And they worshiped the dragon, for he had given his authority to the beast, and they worshiped the beast, saying, “Who is like the beast, and who can fight against it?”

Interesting insight JudeThaddeus.

Very cool.

I think you are correctly seeing various layers to the meanings of Genesis 3:15 (see CCC 115-119).

I am not aware of anything not in harmony with the Church that you are putting forth. Maybe someone else is.

Jesus crushing the head of the Serpent (and minions of the Serpent) in Genesis 3:15? - Yes (in a primary sense).
The Blessed Virgin Mary crushing the head? Yes (in a secondary sense).
The Church crushing the head? Yes (in a sense yes also).

ROMANS 16:20 20 then the God of peace will soon crush Satan under your feet. The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you.

Of course Jesus does it by His might. We have the privilege to participate in all of this by His might too (not on our own of course).

fisherman carl goes into much more depth in the previous post (including Romans 16:20). I thought that was also excellent. I learn a lot from all of you here. Thanks to both you and fisherman carl.

Addendum: patrick457. I think your point about a "different beast" is also good (I didn't see your post when I initially put up mine). This would fall under the "minions" of the serpent I would guess (such as CCC 117 may imply).

[quote="Judas_Thaddeus, post:1, topic:347476"]
CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG!!!

[/quote]

In Genesis **we can not interpret literally the verb 'to crush' **but I believe it means to overpower, so crushing the head really means to overpower completely, because all the main powers are on the head, i.e. if you do not have a head you are death.

Therefore Jesus in the Cross overpowers Satan because we know that Satan, then at that point in history, was thrown down from heaven and chained in the Abyss for 1,000 years **and no more place was found in heaven for him and his angels **ever. Ap 12: 7-8.

And at the end we known that the beast (the one you are talking about) and the false prophet were thrown **alive **into the lake of fire. Ap 19:20 Then Satan also: "was thrown into the lake of fire and sulphur where the beast and the false prophet were, and they will be tormented day and night for ever and ever". Ap 20: 10

So you see, there is not a crushing of the head of the serpent in a literal sense but meaning overpowering him for ever and ever. In fact the three are alive in the lake of fire and will be tormented there for ever and ever. Amen

In the love of His Revelation,
Gloria

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.